Poll

Should Xzibit Be Considered One Of The Greats Of All-Time?

Yes, he should
13 (31.7%)
As A West Coast Legend, but Not Overall
15 (36.6%)
No, he shouldn't
11 (26.8%)
too close to call
2 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Should Xzibit Be Considered One Of The Greats of All-Time?  (Read 386 times)

scarface2oh4

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Should Xzibit Be Considered One Of The Greats of All-Time?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 11:45:04 AM »
If you consider only up to and including Restless then yes. But his newer stuff (last 2 albums) were pretty awful IMO. Also the whole Pimp My Ride thing was pretty weak.

Moe

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 12:16:47 PM »
not at all

Jimmy H.

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 02:15:53 PM »
He's a great artist and has put out some excellent albums but in terms of making a major influential album, I don't think it's happened. One of the greats of his time? No doubt but the verdict is still out on his "all-time" status. I'd say he's in that Jadakiss category where's he a phenominal MC but I don't think he ever quite changed the game the way someone like Eminem or Biggie or the like did. He hasn't that defining moment. It's not an album quality issue because I think his first two albums are everything you could ask them to be and more and "Restless" is on some next level shit.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 02:45:45 PM »
1 thing I'll say about Xzibit was he really don't get the props he deserves in West Coast circles. I mean people talk about Game being the one who single-handedly brought the West back but I think Game had shit at his disposal for his first studio album that Xzibit didn't get until "Restless". Xzibit dropped two classic hip-hop records without heavy guest spots and big A-list producers. If you listen to 'Speed Of Life" and "40 Days, 40 Nights", it's Xzibit's flow and lyrics that carry those records. By "Restless", he had that Aftermath/DPG camp involvement as well as other big guests. Game came out the gate with a single produced by Dre and featuring 50. That's the one thing with Game and his quick rise, the majority of people look at Aftermath as the start of his career. I think his Get Low stuff is very rarely regarded when analyzing his career. It's kind of a blessing and a curse in his case because I think when you come out under that umbrella, it's always hard to establish what part of it is you and what part is the team you surround yourself with. What do y'all think?

hellrazor86

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • There Can Only Be One Don
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 03:25:38 PM »
HELL YEAH! 8)

could be the most consistent rapper around still; he has NEVER disappointed me with an album & just continues to make GREAT music.

X is definatly one of the best to do it. 8)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 03:40:39 PM »
1 thing I'll say about Xzibit was he really don't get the props he deserves in West Coast circles. I mean people talk about Game being the one who single-handedly brought the West back but I think Game had shit at his disposal for his first studio album that Xzibit didn't get until "Restless". Xzibit dropped two classic hip-hop records without heavy guest spots and big A-list producers. If you listen to 'Speed Of Life" and "40 Days, 40 Nights", it's Xzibit's flow and lyrics that carry those records. By "Restless", he had that Aftermath/DPG camp involvement as well as other big guests. Game came out the gate with a single produced by Dre and featuring 50. That's the one thing with Game and his quick rise, the majority of people look at Aftermath as the start of his career. I think his Get Low stuff is very rarely regarded when analyzing his career. It's kind of a blessing and a curse in his case because I think when you come out under that umbrella, it's always hard to establish what part of it is you and what part is the team you surround yourself with. What do y'all think?

Game's work on Get Low is not recognized by design. He made it that way. JT The Bigga Figga did not though and capitalized on each and every time Game had a album or mixtape or single out to push the material he had on him.

Xzibit- One of the illest. I really don't know why people tie Pimp My Ride in with his music, the shit don't go together. I think like many artists before and after him, him being involved in movies and TV, the music was not as prevalent or dropping as often. I think on the underground scene on the west coast, Xzibit has done the damn thing. He was really one of the first artists out here to transcend the underground scene and fuse it with the gangsta rap scene and create a insane album like Restless. That album is just a DOPE west coast album that so many people across the board can enjoy.

k-dogg

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 06:46:08 PM »
I think X has been a good if not a great MC but let's stop throwing the "Legend" or "All-Time Great"  title around so easily...A lot of things have to fall in place for someone to be a legend at anything and I just don't think X qualifies. X was already a dope MC before hooking up with Dre and Snoop but somehow, it still seems that he did not take advantage of the situation despite some dope records..It may not be his fault but something is missing for me to call him an All Time Great. It seems like once he fell out with Snoop, he did not get to build on the legacy he was building with DPG or even Dre. X is a dope MC and is recognized but not a legend or anything to me.