Author Topic: WideAwake reveals Death Row Records Plans  (Read 2830 times)

OG Hack Wilson

Re: WideAwake reveals Death Row Records Plans
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2009, 07:52:57 AM »
pushed back for what? reveal the truth.

well if I was Wide Awake i'd know that anyone with half a brain in the Sales industry knows that releasing something in the 4th quarter (i.e. early December)

unless you were talking about Chronic Re-lit....i wanted to hear that this summer :(
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2009, 07:54:53 AM »
pushed back for what? reveal the truth.

well if I was Wide Awake i'd know that anyone with half a brain in the Sales industry knows that releasing something in the 4th quarter (i.e. early December)

unless you were talking about Chronic Re-lit....i wanted to hear that this summer :(
yeah that's what i'm referring to

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2009, 08:00:11 AM »
they better put some UNHEARD bonus tracks instead of "hey lets throw on the let me ride remix because that will fill up the cd" or something lame

or "lets put deep cover and keep ya heads ringing on it"
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Okka

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2009, 08:03:54 AM »
This sounds really good. Let's hope they start releasin' music and not just talkin' about it.

Moe

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2009, 08:04:36 AM »
Wideawake should have been allowed to buy the released catalog only, the rest should have been kept in the vault. Bootleggers would make sure the stuff gets out one way or another and thanks to the good people who are willing to share and leak it everybody would be able to enjoy it.

Let that Death Row jinx continue and see how NOTHING gets released by this company.
If nothing is going to get released, why does it matter what they are allowed to buy? I don't see what you are angry about. It seems like a win-win situation for everyone.

Is anyone else as happy as me ???I never though I'd get to see Death Row rule the industry once again. WideAwake has my full fucking respect. Death Row Records Untouchable again.Let The G-Funk Era Redux begin.

^^ LOL leave the drugs alone man.

But this is my exact problem I have with this whole Wideawake thing: They might have acuired all of the assets but they are NOT nor will they ever be Death Row Records.

First of all it may seem cool that some of that unreleased material MIGHT finally see the light of day, but it still remains to be seen when and more importantly: in what form. Since they owe the stuff I'm assuming they have 100% free control of it which means that they can go the same route as Afeni Shakur; make a little change here and there put this on take this off etc etc. I'm not saying that is what is going to happen but this quote from the article already got me suspicious:

"Evergreen also got new artists -- although he wouldn't reveal who -- to record remixes of a number of songs from the catalogs for several video games."  :grumpy:

Besides Death Row's reign at the top didn't even take place in this century so it would seem logical for Wideawake to alter, edit or whatever some of the content to make it more, let's say accessible to some of today's music consumers.

But even if they did release any unreleased material in its OG form it still would not change the fact that Wideawake is NOT Death Row Records. Death Row has been dead the minute the company got taken over by the bankruptcy trustee which resulted in the former co-founder/CEO of the label losing all control of it including the master recordings. As a true fan I say that was really the end of one of the most legendary labels of all time. Wideawake may have the music, video material and what else they might have but they are not Death Row Records. I say this as a fan of the label, I look past the fact that the unreleased material may have a better change to be released cause I would much rather have seen the label operate in its original form before it was taken over. At least it was a real label back then. You could really call it Death Row Records.

Now I know Suge Knight doesn't get alot of love around here (or in the industry for that matter) so let's twist it around a little: replace Suge Knight with Dr. Dre and Death Row with Aftermath. I'm not a big Aftermath fan but if I was I wouldn't be happen about some other company being able to take over as a result of a bankruptcy case and then do as they please, using the Aftermath logo and name releasing material as they see fit all while there is no Dr. Dre or any actual (Aftermath) artists. How could it be Aftermath when the company has been taken over? When there's no Dre? When there are no artists cause there isn't a real label for them to be on?

I think George Pryce once said it best: Without Suge Knight there is no Death Row Records.

Suge Knight had his chance, but he blew it.

move on

lol.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2009, 08:32:11 AM »
suge showed us that he was completely incompitent at running a label after Snoop left

look how many quality artists he signed and NEVER DROPPED ALBUMS BY...Crooked I, Kurupt, Eastwood, Nina

all they could do was be partners with Afeni on UTEOT and Better Dayz and drop Greatest Hits compilations

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2009, 08:32:52 AM »
suge showed us that he was completely incompitent at running a label after Snoop left

look how many quality artists he signed and NEVER DROPPED ALBUMS BY...Crooked I, Kurupt, Eastwood, Nina

all they could do was be partners with Afeni on UTEOT and Better Dayz and drop Greatest Hits compilations

Okka

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2009, 08:53:18 AM »

Kurupt released "Against Tha Grain" though, or was it released by Death Row after he left?

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2009, 09:00:22 AM »

If only it was that simple.

Kurupt released "Against Tha Grain" though, or was it released by Death Row after he left?

After he left, they even urged people not to buy it on the offical website back then.

^^^ exactly. Dude fucked over too many people and tried to dodge the law and lost. Its the artists I care about not some overweight bodyguard. If they drop new untouched 2Pac along with Quik, DPG, Snoop, Rage etc i'm sure nobody's gonna give a fuck whether their moneys going to Suge or a Canadian couple.

LOL I find it funny that people are always so quick to point the finger at Suge, he did this he did that blah blah like he is the ultimate hip hop boogeyman. I'm pretty sure some shiesty shit went on at DR I'm not denying that but people act like this type of shit is only reserved for Suge and DR. Diddy, Baby & Slim even Eazy (no disrespect R.I.P.) etc etc you just name them all these people have skeletons in their closets, shady business practice has and always will be an integral part of hip hop no need to point it out again and again.

I care about the artists/music too but I also care about the label itself, that's why I think it's a shame it has come to this.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 09:28:44 AM by The "Untouchable" DJR »

~Loyalty Is Everything~

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2009, 09:52:25 AM »

If only it was that simple.

After he left, they even urged people not to buy it on the offical website back then.

^^^ exactly. Dude fucked over too many people and tried to dodge the law and lost. Its the artists I care about not some overweight bodyguard. If they drop new untouched 2Pac along with Quik, DPG, Snoop, Rage etc i'm sure nobody's gonna give a fuck whether their moneys going to Suge or a Canadian couple.

LOL I find it funny that people are always so quick to point the finger at Suge, he did this he did that blah blah like he is the ultimate hip hop boogeyman. I'm pretty sure some shiesty shit went on at DR I'm not denying that but people act like this type of shit is only reserved for Suge and DR. Diddy, Baby & Slim even Eazy (no disrespect R.I.P.) etc etc you just name them all these people have skeletons in their closets, shady business practice has and always will be an integral part of hip hop no need to point it out again and again.

I care about the artists/music too but I also care about the label itself, that's why I think it's a shame it has come to this.

sure, there's a difference between how suge knight is perceived by the public(though Suge Knight is mainly to blame for the negative image, as he hasn't really done anything to prove that he's different) & reality.
but the fact remains that Suge Knight is to blame for the fact that death row went bankrupt.

you should be happy that other companies got the chance to buy the catalogue, as death row couldn't sink any further.
whether Wideawake will do the right thing, is another story.

acgrundy

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2009, 10:19:51 AM »
well if they actually do this the right way and release music that has not been heard, and keep it in its original form, then I will actually buy the cd to support the project.  If the chronic has 4 dope unreleased songs, that I have never heard, or don't have in cdq, I will actually buy the cd.  And I think in the past 5 years I have bought like 3 cd's.

however, if they do pull some bullshit, then I won't be buying anything.

Giesuz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Veterano
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2009, 10:33:43 AM »

because the distributing party took the diss songs from the album

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2009, 10:34:56 AM »
I'm glad WideAwake is making moves & even plans on putting out their own artists.
But plese keep them & YOUR NEW artists the FUCK away from Death Row era made stuff & sounds.

I'll support your re-leases 100%
But please keep the nobodies off the music.

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2009, 10:35:55 AM »
Dr. Dre is to Death Row what Eazy E is to Ruthless. The epicenter of the label's talent.

Suge Knight is Jerry Heller... just some fat guys who got lucky

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2009, 10:52:59 AM »
unreleased RBX album on Death Row? Kilo,that's bullshit right?

Not B/S. Lol. RBX, despite how much he would have not like to have made the decision to join Death Row, still has quite a bit of material considering he didn't get to leave till 1994 or 1995.