Author Topic: WIDEawake Drops The Ball Again... Death Row Comics?  (Read 1126 times)

2euce 7even

Re: WIDEawake Drops The Ball Again... Death Row Comics?
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 03:06:56 PM »
they should do this after they proved theyrself releasing some dope ass shit that every hardcore fan dreams of!!!

rollindown101

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 05:18:22 PM »
I guess this is to go along with the Hammertime action figures..

Leave the mastering to the experts and people who originally did it..

http://www.berniegrundmanmastering.com/engineers/grundman.html

Allpaul

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 05:28:47 PM »
where does it say they are putting the music on the shelf to focus on comics?

It doesn't.  I think people are jumping the gun on this, a bit. 
Welcome to the Dubcc forums... This is normal shit around here...

EFFeX

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 05:50:03 PM »
No one said they are putting the music on the shelf entirely, we were just poking fun at the fact that music should be their main priority period.

JohnnyL

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 05:53:21 PM »
While I don't feel this is a terrible idea

^^Are you serious?

Mark my words people are gonna wish this whole Wideawake thing never would have happened.

Yes, I'm serious.  While I don't see why an idea like this would be given priority over just releasing the albums or a video collection, I don't think the idea itself is necessarily terrible.
   Kokane had an idea to use comics.  Eminem has currently appeared in Marvel's Punisher comics.  Apparently there are similar plans for 50 Cent.  The insert to Snoop Dogg's "Doggystyle" album contains a comic (As did his "Last Meal" album). Eazy-E's "Impact of a Legend" cd/dvd set also contained a comic book.  Outside of rap music, Rob Zombie has used comic books and a comics motif, for years.
   I'm not saying the way they will handle this idea will necessarily be good.  I'm increasingly skeptical of Wideawake's handling of the Death Row brand.  I'm just saying, there might be something to the idea.
  Like you I'm skeptical about all of these plans.  So far, all they've managed to do is release a three track cd sampler and a pretty shoddy website that allows for no fan feedback or interaction.  I think some of there plans sound good, but I won't be convinced of anything until I see it.  I'll be happy if they prove me wrong, but ultimately, it comes down to whether or not they're going to drop the albums.  That's what everyone wants.

Concerning the comic thing: all of the people you mentioned have one thing in common; they were actually involved with that stuff and had some say in it. Except Eazy and btw that "comic book" in question was horrible.

And I'm not just being skeptical, I'm appalled by the way everything went down but hey... that's me.

Okay.  You're entitled to your opinion.  I'm going to say that for now I'm staying firmly in the skeptical camp.  You say you were appalled by the way everything went down, you're certainly entitled to feel that way?  But by saying "by the way everything went down," I take it you're talking about Wideawake's acquisition of Death Row?  Because so, far that's really the only thing that's gone down.  That and that 3 track sampler.  That aside, nothing else has even happened yet.
 For me the sale of Death Row and the resulting ownership by a different company was not bad, in and of itself.  My reasoning being that the original Death Row Records hadn't made any real moves itself, in a very long time.  I'm not saying any of this to appear to be taking the side of Wideawake Entertainment.  So far they've done nothing to prove to me that they are competent to handle the Death Row brand any better than their predecessors.  On the other hand though, there's been no concrete evidence to suggest that they can't do a good job.  
  I'll agree with you on one thing, that Eazy comic was pretty horrid.  But as I said there are a multitude of ways Wideawake could fuck up attempting to make a comic book, and probably only a few ways they could do it right.  I was simply trying to point out that it wasn't an idea that is completely new to hip hop.  So while I definitely hope that they're not making this a priority over releasing the music, I don't know that the idea will necessarily fall flat.

Mietek23

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 10:29:56 PM »
Seriously... I mean, I could accept the comic books. I mean, it's like people said Doggystyle had that comic book inside the booklet. But THIS?

I just picked this item up from Toys R Us, WIDEawake is really milking this Death Row thing huh?

LOL

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2009, 12:21:50 AM »
While I don't feel this is a terrible idea

^^Are you serious?

Mark my words people are gonna wish this whole Wideawake thing never would have happened.

Yes, I'm serious.  While I don't see why an idea like this would be given priority over just releasing the albums or a video collection, I don't think the idea itself is necessarily terrible.
   Kokane had an idea to use comics.  Eminem has currently appeared in Marvel's Punisher comics.  Apparently there are similar plans for 50 Cent.  The insert to Snoop Dogg's "Doggystyle" album contains a comic (As did his "Last Meal" album). Eazy-E's "Impact of a Legend" cd/dvd set also contained a comic book.  Outside of rap music, Rob Zombie has used comic books and a comics motif, for years.
   I'm not saying the way they will handle this idea will necessarily be good.  I'm increasingly skeptical of Wideawake's handling of the Death Row brand.  I'm just saying, there might be something to the idea.
  Like you I'm skeptical about all of these plans.  So far, all they've managed to do is release a three track cd sampler and a pretty shoddy website that allows for no fan feedback or interaction.  I think some of there plans sound good, but I won't be convinced of anything until I see it.  I'll be happy if they prove me wrong, but ultimately, it comes down to whether or not they're going to drop the albums.  That's what everyone wants.

Concerning the comic thing: all of the people you mentioned have one thing in common; they were actually involved with that stuff and had some say in it. Except Eazy and btw that "comic book" in question was horrible.

And I'm not just being skeptical, I'm appalled by the way everything went down but hey... that's me.

Okay.  You're entitled to your opinion.  I'm going to say that for now I'm staying firmly in the skeptical camp.  You say you were appalled by the way everything went down, you're certainly entitled to feel that way?  But by saying "by the way everything went down," I take it you're talking about Wideawake's acquisition of Death Row?  Because so, far that's really the only thing that's gone down.  That and that 3 track sampler.  That aside, nothing else has even happened yet.
 For me the sale of Death Row and the resulting ownership by a different company was not bad, in and of itself.  My reasoning being that the original Death Row Records hadn't made any real moves itself, in a very long time.  I'm not saying any of this to appear to be taking the side of Wideawake Entertainment.  So far they've done nothing to prove to me that they are competent to handle the Death Row brand any better than their predecessors.  On the other hand though, there's been no concrete evidence to suggest that they can't do a good job.  
  I'll agree with you on one thing, that Eazy comic was pretty horrid.  But as I said there are a multitude of ways Wideawake could fuck up attempting to make a comic book, and probably only a few ways they could do it right.  I was simply trying to point out that it wasn't an idea that is completely new to hip hop.  So while I definitely hope that they're not making this a priority over releasing the music, I don't know that the idea will necessarily fall flat.

Yeah I'm talking about Wideawake's acquisition of DR. Despite the state the label has been in over the past years I'd much rather have the actual Death Row Records label existing (like in 2001-2006) than some company being able to take over in a bankruptcy case. See here for more if you care to read, my 2nd post on that page:

http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=221819.0

And I don't know about that 3 track sampler because both Crooked I's Hoodstar and Petey Pablo's Pay For The Pussy (labelled Let's Do It on the 2007 FTP bootleg) are different from the versions that have been leaked before, now MAYBE these were the final versions of the songs as they were originally recorded back then OR Wideawake has invited Crooked and Petey Pablo to rerecord the songs. Kinda like how that 2006 FTP/O.F.T.B. bootleg went down. This may not be a problem for most people but for me it certainly is.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 12:23:23 AM by The "Untouchable" DJR »

~Loyalty Is Everything~

Jimmy H.

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2009, 01:22:25 AM »
Yeah I'm talking about Wideawake's acquisition of DR. Despite the state the label has been in over the past years I'd much rather have the actual Death Row Records label existing (like in 2001-2006) than some company being able to take over in a bankruptcy case. See here for more if you care to read, my 2nd post on that page:

And I don't know about that 3 track sampler because both Crooked I's Hoodstar and Petey Pablo's Pay For The Pussy (labelled Let's Do It on the 2007 FTP bootleg) are different from the versions that have been leaked before, now MAYBE these were the final versions of the songs as they were originally recorded back then OR Wideawake has invited Crooked and Petey Pablo to rerecord the songs. Kinda like how that 2006 FTP/O.F.T.B. bootleg went down. This may not be a problem for most people but for me it certainly is.
Homie, it sounds to me like you need to let it go. Death Row existing through the association of Suge Knight was never going to happen. The company goes bankrupt, somebody buys off the assets. That's what happens. I didn't like the way Suge got dealt in the end but the bottom line is the catalog was going to end up in somebody's hands. I'm not anymore upset at someone else putting out old Death Row material than I am with other labels besides Aftermath pressing up King T's "Kingdom Come" and Hittman's album. If they were going to relaunch a new "Death Row", I'd by all means say that it could never be authentic without Suge. However, companies buying out old studio film librararies or classic music catalogs from companies that go under happens all the time. Am I not gonna buy a new "Terminator 2" DVD with brand new special features because the original studio that produced isn't involved in the production? Fuck no. If people can get behind "Dead Man Walking" and Dogg Pound "2002" then I don't see why anyone should cry about people releasing a Crooked I album recorded at Death Row that isn't being put out by Suge.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2009, 02:34:53 AM »

Homie, it sounds to me like you need to let it go. Death Row existing through the association of Suge Knight was never going to happen. The company goes bankrupt, somebody buys off the assets. That's what happens. I didn't like the way Suge got dealt in the end but the bottom line is the catalog was going to end up in somebody's hands. I'm not anymore upset at someone else putting out old Death Row material than I am with other labels besides Aftermath pressing up King T's "Kingdom Come" and Hittman's album. If they were going to relaunch a new "Death Row", I'd by all means say that it could never be authentic without Suge. However, companies buying out old studio film librararies or classic music catalogs from companies that go under happens all the time. Am I not gonna buy a new "Terminator 2" DVD with brand new special features because the original studio that produced isn't involved in the production? Fuck no. If people can get behind "Dead Man Walking" and Dogg Pound "2002" then I don't see why anyone should cry about people releasing a Crooked I album recorded at Death Row that isn't being put out by Suge.
i think DJR is upset by the fact that Lydia Harris got 107 million $

Jaydc555

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2009, 02:43:07 AM »
Didn't she end up getting close to nothing?

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2009, 04:28:37 AM »

Nah I'm upset that DR as a record label is no more.

Remember all that shit after Suge was released in 2001; N.I.N.A., Say Hi To The Bad Guy, Ray J, Death Row East 2006, Petey Pablo, all the things that were supposed to go down. Nothing ever really happened and now it most certainly never will.

I'm just dissappointed fuck it.

~Loyalty Is Everything~

Blasphemy

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2009, 05:01:30 AM »

Remember all that shit after Suge was released in 2001; N.I.N.A., Say Hi To The Bad Guy, Ray J, Death Row East 2006, Petey Pablo, all the things that were supposed to go down. Nothing ever really happened and now it most certainly never will.

Do to suge knight. lol They will get released (hopefully) or leaked. Either way, the main problem we should be worrying is that while they are Remastering them for CDQ, will they remix bullshit and pass it off as OGs. OG leaks are pretty much a combination of Finished Product not released, First Cut, Second Cut, Extended OG mix made for singles, etc.

IF they remix shit and try and pass it off, then I won't buy a fucking thing, and I'll wait for the bootlegs to come.  The Comic thing can be played out either way. Either Graphic Novels that are sorta like the comics (in terms of look and design) from DoggyStyle and can cover just retarded shit like them smoking, or it can be a Day in the life of Death Row. Either way the chances of it sucking ass is about 92%. Now if these "comics" come with Unreleased Material (possibly in the booklet), then I guess it wouldn't hurt. Considering its Multiple divisions (I think) 1 side will concentrate on the music the other on the comics.

Death Row will possibly be alive again (never, I mean never in its original state again, Death Of Tupac, loss of Dre, and all the original artist, it can't), but it can have a Resurrection. Possibly once all the release stuff, is they can sign new acts, and possibly Revive the WestCoast scene (if they don't fall victim to the retard rap of today), I mean do what aftermath should of... lol Possibly actually make Death Row East. But again, depends on how they do everything.

To say it short, Don't say its shit until its release, but don't except it to be some amazing thing from god., just....speculate (not a lot)  and wait to see what fleshes out.

cheali

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2009, 06:01:12 AM »
what? are they really serious to make comics?

EFFeX

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2009, 10:32:40 AM »

The version of "Hoodstar" that was released by WIDEawake is the final version of the song that was recorded back when SHTTBG was coming out. The original one that leaked from FTP is real too, but just an original copy that was unfinished.

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2009, 10:54:55 AM »

Do to suge knight. lol They will get released (hopefully) or leaked. Either way, the main problem we should be worrying is that while they are Remastering them for CDQ, will they remix bullshit and pass it off as OGs. OG leaks are pretty much a combination of Finished Product not released, First Cut, Second Cut, Extended OG mix made for singles, etc.

IF they remix shit and try and pass it off, then I won't buy a fucking thing, and I'll wait for the bootlegs to come.  The Comic thing can be played out either way. Either Graphic Novels that are sorta like the comics (in terms of look and design) from DoggyStyle and can cover just retarded shit like them smoking, or it can be a Day in the life of Death Row. Either way the chances of it sucking ass is about 92%. Now if these "comics" come with Unreleased Material (possibly in the booklet), then I guess it wouldn't hurt. Considering its Multiple divisions (I think) 1 side will concentrate on the music the other on the comics.

Death Row will possibly be alive again (never, I mean never in its original state again, Death Of Tupac, loss of Dre, and all the original artist, it can't), but it can have a Resurrection. Possibly once all the release stuff, is they can sign new acts, and possibly Revive the WestCoast scene (if they don't fall victim to the retard rap of today), I mean do what aftermath should of... lol Possibly actually make Death Row East. But again, depends on how they do everything.

To say it short, Don't say its shit until its release, but don't except it to be some amazing thing from god., just....speculate (not a lot)  and wait to see what fleshes out.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens, in the meantime I hope there will be more leaks like the recent ones. That's the only positive thing out of this Wideawake/auction thing lol, all the bootleggers quickly making their stuff available in order to make some money while they still can.

The version of "Hoodstar" that was released by WIDEawake is the final version of the song that was recorded back when SHTTBG was coming out. The original one that leaked from FTP is real too, but just an original copy that was unfinished.

Thanks for clearing that up I'm assuming that's also the case with the Petey Pablo song.

~Loyalty Is Everything~