Author Topic: Why do people act like doggystyle was snoops  (Read 3151 times)

Triple OG Rapsodie

Re: Why do people act like doggystyle was snoops
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2009, 04:24:59 PM »
So Doggystyle isn't a Snoop album because he had producers and guest artists on it? You guys crack me up. Every fucking album made in popular music is the result of collaborating. If you remove Doggystyle from the mix, you have nothing? You are trying way too hard to underplay the man. Without Doggystyle, you still have Deep Cover. You still have his work on "The Chronic". You still have the Murder Was The Case soundtrack. You still have his songs with Tha Dogg Pound, 2Pac. You still have his songs on Tha Eastsidaz albums. You still have "Drop It Like It's Hot", which while I'm not really a fan was his first #1 single in his career. And I can keep going.

Doggystyle is the album everyone brings up because it's that rare classic album that few artists have in them. As much as everyone throws the term around, there aren't that many artsits who drop an actual classic album of that caliber. Plenty of people have studios full of dope producers and crews full of talented writers, singers, and rappers at their disposal but few people ever drop a "Doggystyle". To say that Snoop is overrated because he didn't drop an album like that every time he went out is absurd to me. It's like saying Michael Jackson is overrated because he never topped "Thriller". Neither Snoop's skills nor sales have steadily declined since 1993-94. He's put out some bad stuff and he's dropped some classic material. I mean, just who exactly are we comparing Snoop to here? Who has dropped a classic debut without the help of a great producer then gone on to either top or match it with each subsequent release while still pushing platinum numbers? Let's hear how many names we can come up with.

great post. Only example I can think of off the dome is Pac

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2009, 04:32:54 PM »
did Jimmy H really say Snoops sales and skills haven't declined??

his last album dind't go plat OR gold and he hasn't made a good song since Crooks and Dogs
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 04:42:12 PM by HACK WILSON »
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Jaydc555

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2009, 04:32:58 PM »
Jimmy missed the point of my thread entirely but its ok.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2009, 04:43:19 PM »
I thought about Pac as an example but I think "2Pacalypse Now" is one of those albums that people call a classic in hindsight. It was an excellent album but it's known more for its historical signifance of being Pac's debut than being a defining album in his career. I think "Me Against The World", "Makaveli", and to a lesser degree, "All Eyez On Me", were his defining albums.  

Jaydc555

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2009, 04:48:56 PM »
If you can't see snoop fell off over ten years ago you are a fan boy.He should have retired every album he puts out tarnishes his legacy even more.Its like watching michael Jordan after he came back with the wizards

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2009, 04:49:30 PM »
I thought about Pac as an example but I think "2Pacalypse Now" is one of those albums that people call a classic in hindsight. It was an excellent album but it's known more for its historical signifance of being Pac's debut than being a defining album in his career. I think "Me Against The World", "Makaveli", and to a lesser degree, "All Eyez On Me", were his defining albums.  

i think 2pacalypse was the best way to look at where he came from...my favorite album except for MAkaveli.

it shows us:

black panther background
Digital underground influence
Live Squad influence (thats where the gangsta side of 2pac came from, Stretch and Majesty)
great story telling tracks (Violent, Soula STory, Trapped, Part time Mother, Crooked Ass Nigga)

and the 2 most socially-concsious 2pac tracks "brenda's got a baby" and "part time motha" - real shit.

oh man 2pacalypse now, that's my shit.  it's too bad that TNT didn't allow him to release it as a double album as he intended.
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Allpaul

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2009, 04:51:35 PM »
what about No Limit Top Dogg...Production fron Dre, Quik, Meech Wells and Raphael Saadiq.....this album was hot!!!
Yeah! I also don't understand the hate for Paid the Cost.. It's easily his most consistent in years. I wonder if people actually ever listen to these albums, or just repeat what they read on the internet... Both of these are < Tha Last Meal to me... They're just more focused and on point.. Especially Paid the Cost..

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2009, 04:53:51 PM »
5/5= Doggystyle,

4.5/5= Doggfather

4/5= Blue Carpet Treatment, Tha Last Meal, No Limit Top Dogg

3.5/5= Paid the Cost to Be The Boss  

3/5= R&G, Dead Man Walking

2/5= Ego Trippin, Da Game is to be Sold Not Told

and thats my breakdown... and snoop is the main artists on doggystyle.. yes he had alot of people involved. but what can u say snoop snapped on that album

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2009, 04:55:27 PM »
5/5= Doggystyle,

4.5/5= Doggfather

4/5= Blue Carpet Treatment, Tha Last Meal, No Limit Top Dogg

3.5/5= Paid the Cost to Be The Boss  

3/5= R&G, Dead Man Walking

2/5= Ego Trippin, Da Game is to be Sold Not Told

and thats my breakdown... and snoop is the main artists on doggystyle.. yes he had alot of people involved. but what can u say snoop snapped on that album

doggfather was not a 4.5/5

it was, at the best, a 3.5 out of 5.  snoop could ahve done ALOT better...even the singles sound half-hearted.  its like he knew he was leaving death row and just kinda quit trying.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2009, 04:57:36 PM »

his last album dind't go plat OR gold and he hasn't made a good song since Crooks and Dogs

There were several dope songs on Ego Trippin, not to mention Blue Carpet Treatment. Do you actually listen to these albums?

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2009, 05:03:43 PM »

There were several dope songs on Ego Trippin, not to mention Blue Carpet Treatment. Do you actually listen to these albums?

i give them all a full through listen one time

then i delete the songs i didn't see myself ever wanting to listen to again...and most of the time it's 2/3 of the CD's lol

as far as doggystyle goes, i bump that shit full-thru atleast 15x a year, maybe 20  8)

Jimmy H.

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2009, 05:04:24 PM »

Your "Crooks and Dogs" comment paired with the statement that his only good post-DR album was "Dead Man Walking" speak for themselves. Your entire basis is your personal taste.

What I said was his sales and/or skills have not steadily declined since Doggystyle. Some of his albums have been better than others and I definitely don't think that each album he's put out since then has been worse than the one proceeding it.  

Jimmy H.

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2009, 05:06:36 PM »

then i delete the songs i didn't see myself ever wanting to listen to again.

No woinder why your analysis of his stuff is so off.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2009, 05:07:46 PM »

Your "Crooks and Dogs" comment paired with the statement that his only good post-DR album was "Dead Man Walking" speak for themselves. Your entire basis is your personal taste.

What I said was his sales and/or skills have not steadily declined since Doggystyle. Some of his albums have been better than others and I definitely don't think that each album he's put out since then has been worse than the one proceeding it.  

well we can agree to disagree; the Crooks and Dogg thing may be an exageration

especially since Snoop's recent guest song with La Coka Nostra is fucking ILL  8)

but it's the same thing as the Nas debate...Illmatic dropped in 1994 and his albums since are full of SOME quality bangers but never COMPLETE like his first album was.  

but in all seriousness, Walking dead man or whatever Suge called that shit IS the best post death row album he's dropped...it's the only one i find myself replaying.  head doctor was nice.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 05:09:24 PM by HACK WILSON »

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2009, 05:10:58 PM »

then i delete the songs i didn't see myself ever wanting to listen to again.

No woinder why your analysis of his stuff is so off.

why waste time listening to something that doesn't appeal to me?

don't make me go get my data discs and point some examples for you

jimmy, what's your take on "The Shaggy SHow"

if you don't know what song that is then get outta the thread lol