Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 1895 times)

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Avatar
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2009, 01:50:01 AM »
The praise is clearly from the technology aspect, most of it anyway.  Hardly anybody is hyping it because of the story lol

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2009, 10:02:07 AM »
Saw it on Christmas Day.

Won't be remembered as a classic like Aliens, T1, T2. However it will be remembered for its progression in Technology. Other then that the Story is just a standard Going Native, just within the future and involving aliens.I liked it, and its On par with his others in terms of Effects, Camera Work, and style (Action scenes only). Its done in a very Artsy way, to impose feeling within the world. However It did get Generic at times via The Usual Military evil/Corporation evil IE They just DID stuff without real thought. Now if they made it so the Corporation and Military were in need of what ever it was to Save Humanity or something, it would make it deeper, Instead of a generic payday.

Also yes, its hyped up. People said he got passed the Hulk Syndrome IE Once the Character Changed no one could connect and was considered innovated. However District 9 Came out Earlier, and the Ability to connect to the Prawns was clearly express in various reviews. So how come Cameron gets the gold???

Anyways, dope film. Not going to be groundbreaking, but its better then most of the shit that's out there. Like Taratino, Cameron decided to Genre blend with this film. Taking a generic "going native" story, complied with Space, Sci-fi and wicked CGI (that's literally seemless, despite the fact you know it is) and basing if of previous conflicts (Slavery, Native Americans, and Corporate greed, and Military destruction) It was good.

But fuck the fags who over hyping it. Only groundbreaking element was the Visuals, and the Cameras invented for it. '

Only Camera Work that really seemed Generic was the Slow-Mo when they are getting arrested. lol I mean damn, he must of been watching Black Hawk down or something. 1 montage would of been ok, but he did it like 3 times. :/

I never expected it to be better than District 9. Of course I don't think any of Cameron's films are as good as D9.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2009, 10:10:03 AM »
Saw it on Christmas Day.

Won't be remembered as a classic like Aliens, T1, T2. However it will be remembered for its progression in Technology. Other then that the Story is just a standard Going Native, just within the future and involving aliens.I liked it, and its On par with his others in terms of Effects, Camera Work, and style (Action scenes only). Its done in a very Artsy way, to impose feeling within the world. However It did get Generic at times via The Usual Military evil/Corporation evil IE They just DID stuff without real thought. Now if they made it so the Corporation and Military were in need of what ever it was to Save Humanity or something, it would make it deeper, Instead of a generic payday.

Also yes, its hyped up. People said he got passed the Hulk Syndrome IE Once the Character Changed no one could connect and was considered innovated. However District 9 Came out Earlier, and the Ability to connect to the Prawns was clearly express in various reviews. So how come Cameron gets the gold???

Anyways, dope film. Not going to be groundbreaking, but its better then most of the shit that's out there. Like Taratino, Cameron decided to Genre blend with this film. Taking a generic "going native" story, complied with Space, Sci-fi and wicked CGI (that's literally seemless, despite the fact you know it is) and basing if of previous conflicts (Slavery, Native Americans, and Corporate greed, and Military destruction) It was good.

But fuck the fags who over hyping it. Only groundbreaking element was the Visuals, and the Cameras invented for it. '

Only Camera Work that really seemed Generic was the Slow-Mo when they are getting arrested. lol I mean damn, he must of been watching Black Hawk down or something. 1 montage would of been ok, but he did it like 3 times. :/

I never expected it to be better than District 9. Of course I don't think any of Cameron's films are as good as D9.
Really? is that a testament to D9's greatness or Cameron's lack of?

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2009, 10:35:22 AM »
The praise is clearly from the technology aspect, most of it anyway.  Hardly anybody is hyping it because of the story lol

story is good man. It fits the kinda movie, i wouldn't expect a English Patient type of love story or a twisted  plot like fight club in a SF movie. Plus the universe is so immense and detailed there was no place in this movie for a complicated story. Maybe they could had gone the matrix 2and 3 way but i hated that i prefer a more simple story to established the license. I'm tired of people not liking something of such little detail, it's not like the movie is completely wack, it's just a simple and efficient story.

I can make the difference between a blockbuster and a repertoire movie and still like em both for what they are. One of my favorite movie, predator, has a scenario that fits on a stamp and i still dont give a shit, it's good for what it is, a pure dose action and schwarzy's makin funny macho face while firing his gun with his arms all pumped up.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 10:39:30 AM by Waassup Bitch »

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2009, 08:11:14 PM »
Saw it on Christmas Day.

Really? is that a testament to D9's greatness or Cameron's lack of?

How much I like D9. I'm a huge Aliens and T1 fan, and T2 I'll admit might be one of the best action films ever. I just really liked D9 as a film.

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2009, 09:02:37 PM »
d9 would be a great movie if the main character was not that annoying.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2009, 11:18:42 PM »

i like the fact that he was able to be so nerdy in the begining, and be able to put that switch on when the time called for it

i like d9, im not a huge sci fi guy at all, and i can see why people would love it so much, but its hard for me to do anything but just like it, and not love it

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2009, 01:26:53 AM »
The praise is clearly from the technology aspect, most of it anyway.  Hardly anybody is hyping it because of the story lol

story is good man. It fits the kinda movie, i wouldn't expect a English Patient type of love story or a twisted  plot like fight club in a SF movie. Plus the universe is so immense and detailed there was no place in this movie for a complicated story. Maybe they could had gone the matrix 2and 3 way but i hated that i prefer a more simple story to established the license. I'm tired of people not liking something of such little detail, it's not like the movie is completely wack, it's just a simple and efficient story.

I can make the difference between a blockbuster and a repertoire movie and still like em both for what they are. One of my favorite movie, predator, has a scenario that fits on a stamp and i still dont give a shit, it's good for what it is, a pure dose action and schwarzy's makin funny macho face while firing his gun with his arms all pumped up.

Story is okay, stuff that has been done over and over and over.  Nothing wrong with that, I'm just stating that the praise is coming from the technological aspect and not the story side of it.  Genre doesn't matter, good storytelling can be in any genre.  The Bourne Series is a fucking brilliant trilogy, and they're action based movie but those are Oscar-caliber films right there.  District 9 should be getting some recognition at the Oscars, and that's a Sci-Fi film.  The Dark Knight should have gotten some Oscar love last year. 

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2009, 07:56:14 AM »

i like the fact that he was able to be so nerdy in the begining, and be able to put that switch on when the time called for it

i like d9, im not a huge sci fi guy at all, and i can see why people would love it so much, but its hard for me to do anything but just like it, and not love it

It's not the sci-fi stuff that makes me love it. T1 is better sci-fi than D9. It's the every day human stuff in the first half of the film. I think that stuff is on par with any of the great films of all time human interaction. That's why I like it better than Cameron's work. Titanic is way too hokey for me and his other films were more plot than people. D9 is plot and people.

Muhfukka

« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2009, 01:02:54 PM »
i have honestly never heard of this shit

Chad Vader

« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2010, 07:25:41 PM »
pretty silly,I guess the new way to sell movies is going to be hype it up for half a year & then give an average plot with ridiculous graphics.

What's new?
They been doing that shit for a long time now.
But who to blame,the producers or the consumers?

Jaydc

« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2010, 07:30:38 PM »
Consumers.But what truely disgusts me is the critical acclaim this movie is getting.Sure its amazing visually but thats it.Hell Micahel Bay movies are amazing visually and the critics trash the fuck out of.Fact is the media has their favorites and they treat whatever they do lile its amazing.Point in case James Cameron and Clint Eastwood.ASnything those two touch gets rave reviews no matter how mediocre the actual product.If michael bay made this exact same movie this movie would be getting panned critically.Same way thaty when spike lee critiszed clint eastwoods films,the next spike lee film was torn apart by critics.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2010, 09:22:31 PM »
Consumers.But what truely disgusts me is the critical acclaim this movie is getting.Sure its amazing visually but thats it.Hell Micahel Bay movies are amazing visually and the critics trash the fuck out of.Fact is the media has their favorites and they treat whatever they do lile its amazing.Point in case James Cameron and Clint Eastwood.ASnything those two touch gets rave reviews no matter how mediocre the actual product.If michael bay made this exact same movie this movie would be getting panned critically.Same way thaty when spike lee critiszed clint eastwoods films,the next spike lee film was torn apart by critics.

Haven't seen Avatar yet so no comment but what Eastwood films did Spike Lee criticize? Gran Torino or that other new film with Jolie deserve criticism. Million Dollar Baby (script sucked, direction was amazing), Mystic River, and Unforgiven are outside the reach of Spike Lee. Spike tries way too hard to make a point and his work suffers big time because of it.

Jaydc

« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2010, 09:30:15 PM »
In no way Im a huge spike lee fan but he does have some great films.I loved inside man and 25th hour of hs more recent films.

I believe lee spoke about that war one clint did I cant even remember the name of it.It got nominated and was critically acclaimed and was extrememly mediocre,theirs been much better war films.At least in my opinion.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2010, 10:22:24 PM »
In no way Im a huge spike lee fan but he does have some great films.I loved inside man and 25th hour of hs more recent films.

I believe lee spoke about that war one clint did I cant even remember the name of it.It got nominated and was critically acclaimed and was extrememly mediocre,theirs been much better war films.At least in my opinion.

Oh yeah. Never saw those WW2 films. I will download them.