Author Topic: Jay-Z Scores 11th No. 1 Album, Sells 475,700 Discs in Debut Week  (Read 1001 times)

Elano

Jay-Z Scores 11th No. 1 Album, Sells 475,700 Discs in Debut Week
« on: September 16, 2009, 11:21:25 PM »
Jay-Z has done it again. The living rap legend has scored his eleventh no. 1 album with his latest disc The Blueprint 3 and surpassed his sales projections by over 125,000 copies.

As previously reported, industry insider hitsdailydouble.com placed Hov at around 300-350,000 for his first week sales, but according to Nielsen SoundScan, the rap megastar sold closer to 475,700. This is no small feat as Jay’s last album American Gangster sold 425,800 units in a much sunnier sales climate. The Brooklyn-bred MC was everywhere promoting BP3, with a star-studded 9-11 benefit at Madison Square Garden airing live on Fuse, a performance with Alicia Keys at the MTV VMAs and interviews on everyone from Oprah to Bill Maher to Stephen A. Smith.

Fellow New York vet Raekwon also made an impressive debut this week. The Wu-Tang rapper’s sequel to the 1995 classic, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, landed at the no. 4 spot, selling 67,600 copies in its first week.

Climbing four spots up the charts to make it back into the top 10 is the Black Eyed Peas. The group’s latest disc The E.N.D. (Energy Never Dies) sold 10,000 more albums this week than last week, earning them a seat at no. 7. The group moved 43,500 units in their 14th week, making their grand total stand at 1,071,100.

Falling 16 spots to no. 24 is Pitbull. The Miami rep’s latest disc, Rebelution sold 17,800 CDs this week, making his two-week stats stand at 59,100.

At no. 30 is the collector’s edition of Jay’s first Blueprint album. The new version of the 2001 classic LP that turned Kanye West and Just Blaze into superproducers, pushed 14,000 units out of the stores this week.

Two spots down is fellow “Renegade” Eminem with his Relapse LP. In his 17th week on The Billboard 200 charts, Shady sold 13,700 units, making his overall tally stand at 1,424,600. Directly under Em is Brooklyn MC Fabolous. Loso’s Way cranked out 13,600 from the shelves this week, putting his grand total at 220,900.

Next week look for new releases from Kid Cudi, Drake, Lil Boosie, Q-Tip, Trick Daddy, New Boyz, M.O.P., N.O.R.E., Capone, KRS-One and Buckshot to make The Billboard 200.

Episcop Cruel Cvrle

Re: Jay-Z Scores 11th No. 1 Album, Sells 475,700 Discs in Debut Week
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 11:28:17 PM »
wooow, great shit for jigga tho album wasnt great as i expected, some tracks are for skipping really.

Im really happy for Raekwon dude did 70 k, thats great today!

ps. Slaughterhouse sold 35k since the album release.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SLAUGHTERHOUSE PLAYER YOU ALREADY KNOW THO,A PIG IS OUR LOGO, BUT WE AINT THA PO-PO

WWW.DYNASTYENTGROUP.COM    WWW.THEBOSSBOARD.COM

ironmike

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 11:37:19 PM »
didnt raekwon's album go no.1 on itunes tho?...

those sales figures are for hard copies only i think, and not digital downloads

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 01:14:44 AM »
And how many copies did Jigga buy of his own album?   He's been known throughout his carear to double his first week sales figures by buying his own album up to manipulate the numbers...  back in the Def Jam days they used to ship a million first week and start reportin "platinum" before the albums had ever been purchased.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

MediumL

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 01:18:39 AM »
I wouldnt be surprised if Jay goes plat if he gets some big singles together but i wont be buying BP3. Great news for Raekwon; shows how dope music sells whatever. I went to the store and it was real hard to find his album cause theyd sold out in part of the store. They looked oversupplied on Jigga cds but under supplied with Raes.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 02:09:11 AM »
And how many copies did Jigga buy of his own album?   He's been known throughout his carear to double his first week sales figures by buying his own album up to manipulate the numbers...  back in the Def Jam days they used to ship a million first week and start reportin "platinum" before the albums had ever been purchased.

Lol I swear people hear gossip and take it as gospel. Who would buy 200k of their own records, that's the worst business decision ever :-\...

They're good numbers for Jay though, and it looks like Em will be 1.5 milli soon...

Dope to see Raekwon doing almost 70k, thats that shit!

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 03:40:01 AM »
Yeah don't realy understand why people keep saying Jay buys his own albums. Dude knows how to promote his album and he always presents a full body of work, not just a single. 11th number one album, damn. And the album has grown on me a lot.

Escrooge

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 07:09:28 AM »
what other albums of jay-z was number 1.
Everybody is wondering what Barack is going to do for us for the next 8 years, what are you going to do for yourself the next 8 years?

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
NO MORE WAR

C-BLUE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • evil don't die
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 09:16:17 AM »
dope album...Jay Z is still the king

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 10:09:48 AM »
wooow, great shit for jigga tho album wasnt great as i expected, some tracks are for skipping really.

great numbers for Jay indeed.

i remember all the people talking about how Wu is SO relevant & Slaughterhouse is not, but i think Jay sets the standard in that conversation of was "relevant" means. :laugh:

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 10:32:39 AM »
what other albums of jay-z was number 1.

See for yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay-Z_discography

I only counted 9 number 1 albums. When you release an album every 15 months for the last 14 years it's not that hard to get a lot of number 1 albums. I bet with all his 9 or 11 #1 albums he has about 15 weeks at number 1. Going #1 isn't what it used to be. In the old days you were given a small realase slwly the across the country and only went number #1 if the album was deemed good enough by the public to go #1 in it's 5th or 6th week, many times way later, and then it stayed #1 for a bit and in the top 5 for a long time.

In 1984, 5 albums went #1; Thriller, Footloose, Sports, Born in the USA, and Purle Rain. And 4 of those 5 spent at least an entire month at #1 and all of them stayed in the top 10 for over a year and went diamond. In 2009, so far, there are almost 30 #1 albums and every a few weeks 90% of them leave the top 20. Going number one these days just means you were released on a slow week and you had all of your promotion focused on first week sales.

MediumL

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
^^ But it means that he's managed to maintain some level of relevance. Most artists after 5 albums would've lost the publics attention. I have to give props to him to managing to stay selling records even if I don't like his new album.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 11:47:16 AM »

i remember all the people talking about how Wu is SO relevant & Slaughterhouse is not, but i think Jay sets the standard in that conversation of was "relevant" means. :laugh:

funny, I remember people saying that Slaughterhouse was relevant and no one buys Wu anymore. Weren't you the one comparing Padded Room sales to Chamber Music?

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 12:03:04 PM »

funny, I remember people saying that Slaughterhouse was relevant and no one buys Wu anymore. Weren't you the one comparing Padded Room sales to Chamber Music?

lol was not me.

i probably said Slaughterhouse is more relevant today at some point.

but like said, Jay-Z showed what kind of numbers you have to do to be "relevant".

but i'll also say, note how this doesn't relate to music; Slaughterhouse, Joe Budden & Raekwon have put out better albums this year, but Jay gets the sales; solid album, but not as good as the names i just mentioned.