Author Topic: The 2000's classic albums  (Read 2044 times)

Blasphemy

Re: The 2000's classic albums
« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2009, 11:24:06 AM »
Restless by Xzibit
The Last Meal by Snoop Dogg
Marshall Mathers LP by Eminem
Space Boogie by Kurupt
Music and Me by Nate Dogg
Get Rich Or Die Tryin' by 50 Cent
Devil's Night by D12
Blueprint by Jay-Z
Stillmatic by Nas
Stoned Raiders by Cypress Hill
Collage Dropout by Kanye West
Return Of The Regulater by Warren-G
Deliverance by Bubba Sparxx
Genesis by Busta Rhymes
Rip The Jaker by Canibus
Revolutionary Vol.2 by Immortal Technique
Dillinger & Young Gotti by The Dogg Pound

Cheers by Obbie Trice
Death is Certain by Royce Da 5'9''
Indecent Proposal by Timbaland&Magoo

This seems more likely, if we were to do a entire vote. Maybe Easier if people just Listed there reasons why a album should be classic. pick the best believed released of the 2000s, then review its impact and its content, and decide from there. :/

LodiDodi

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2009, 05:57:53 PM »
A classic album in the 90's carries a different definition than a classic does in this decade.  Hip hop and it's standing in the mainstream was different back then.  Now it's a huge formulated money-making industry where labels won't just put out an promote anything.  Only manufactured stuff with hot producers and big name guest appearances get the label-push and sales.  The reason hip hop really thrived creatively in the 90's was that the labels did not set boundaries for themselves.  All the labels that put out classics back in the day (Death Row, Def Jam, Rap-A-Lot, Jive, Tommy Boy, Loud, LaFace, etc.) were essentially indie labels with major-label backing for distribution/promotion.  Your indie labels of today have no such luxury, and as a result the albums that are true classics don't get the exposure they deserve.  Best example is Little Brother-The Listening.  I think this album was classic from beginning to end, and can hold it's own with the 90's albums by Tribe, De La, Pete Rock.  But, it didn't get much exposure beyond the internet and blog promotion.  Matter of fact, the only reason I heard of it and checked it out was from ?uestlove's praise of the album on the okayplayer website.  You can put albums by Cunninlynguists, Masta Ace, NYG'z in the same category.  It's a different world, and the term "classic" doesn't evoke that same wow-factor when attributed to "mainstream" critically-acclaimed albums as it did to our 1990's favorites.  But...I am hopeful that there just might be another 90's type-era of creativity.  The 1990's for hip hop was kind of like the mid 1960's-late 1970's era of rock music.  Then there was a period of decline (in the eyes of rock traditionalists) that saw domination by new wave and hair-metal bands....and then came Nirvana to kick off the grunge scene and basically end the 80's rock style, bringing a revival of the classic sound.

Hip hop now is in its new wave/hair-metal phase, where the mainstream is flooded with party-club music, image-conscious acts, and shallow lyrics.  So the question is, who will be the Nirvana of hip-hop?  Who will be the one to say "fuck the status quo" and get the public to come along for the ride?  I hope we see it in the next couple of years,  hip hop needs a game-changer quickly

LodiDodi

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2009, 06:21:33 PM »
...and following that long, sorta off-topic post,  here's my classics of the 2000's

Little Brother - The Listening
Eminem - MMLP
Talib Kweli & Hi-Tek are Reflection Eternal - Train Of Thought
Xzibit - Restless LP
DJ Quik - Under Tha Influence
Warren G - Return Of The Regulator
DPG aka Tha Dogg Pound - Dillinger & Young Gotti
Kanye West - College Dropout & Graduation
Q-Tip - The Renissance
Common - Like Water For Chocolate, Be & Finding Forever
Roots - The Tipping Point & Game Theory
Jay-Z - Blueprint & The Black Album
Nas - Stillmatic, God's Son, The Lost Tapes Vol. 1
Raekwon - OB4CL II
OutKast - Stankonia
Game - The Documentary
50 Cent - Get Rich or Die Trying
Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor

Honorable mentions:
Ludacris - Red Light District
Jay-Z - American Gangster
Busta Rhymes - The Big Bang
Outkast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
Nas - N.I._._.E.R. & Street's Disciple
Ice Cube - Laugh Now, Cry Later
Lupe Fiasco - The Cool

(Note-80% of the list was released from 2000-2004.  For some reason this last half of the decade has been the worst in hip-hop thanks to crunk, auto-tune, and LMFAO/Black Eyed Peas-type club music)

Okka

« Reply #108 on: December 05, 2009, 01:50:21 PM »
How the fuck did i forgot "Tha Last Meal", that's the last classic solo album that Snoop Dogg put out.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2009, 03:52:07 PM »
I refute the Cool being a classic.  Food & Liquor is but The Cool is a failed concept album.  It's still a really dope album but it lacks cohesion and more or less follows the same formula Lupe put into action on his debut.   Food & Liquor is Lupe's blueprint where as The Cool is just a dope follow up album.   
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2009, 03:58:10 PM »
Also, my opinion on hip-hop is that it's grown beyond it's roots.  Nothing can stay the same.  It's adapted to other cultures, peoples, and music.  It's expanded beyond it's original purpose (whatever that may be) and contains many different topics, subjects, and content.  The 5 elements has been broken and has in many ways continued in various forms.  Preservation of a culture is pathetic.  It must change in order to grow.  The og fresh people naturally become conservative in nature and thus they too become biased.  The best lesson they can learn is to let go and appreciate what one likes while not worrying too much.  What will be, will be. 
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Chad Vader

« Reply #111 on: December 05, 2009, 06:31:54 PM »
Also, my opinion on hip-hop is that it's grown beyond it's roots.
Nothing can stay the same. It's adapted to other cultures, peoples, and music.
It's expanded beyond it's original purpose (whatever that may be) and contains many different topics, subjects, and content.
The 5 elements has been broken and has expanded beyond it's original purpose (whatever that may be) and contains many different topics, subjects, and content.
The 5 elements has been broken and has in many ways continued in various forms.
Preservation of a culture is pathetic. It must change in order to grow.
The og fresh people naturally become conservative in nature and thus they too become biased.
The best lesson they can learn is to let go and appreciate what one likes while not worrying too much.
What will be, will be. 

+1 It looks like you got the point.  ;)