Author Topic: The 2000's classic albums  (Read 2042 times)

NiCc_FrUm_ThA_nO

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • EastSide But I Represent The Whole F
Re: The 2000's classic albums
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 11:16:59 AM »
Aside from GRODT, Stillmatic, MMLP

Lupe Fiasco - The Cool

Joe Budden - Mood Muzik 2

Blu & Exile - Below The Heavens - extremely dope album, personal classic

ikke

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2009, 11:44:50 AM »
So basically you guys consider like 20 albums which dropped in '95 classic but no classics have dropped in the last 10 years?

So the standard for a classic is being released before 2000?

You're setting the bar too high for '00's classics

Paul

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 12:32:08 PM »
”Put Ya Mics Where Ya Mouth Is” January 2001 NO.136

Anatomy of a classic album in The Source August 2003 NO.167

I decide how i like an album with my own ears not how some gay magazine decides

At the end of the day its all about opinions, although there are some that are a consensous(Spelling)
funkyfreshintheflesh

MediumL

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 12:43:30 PM »
agreed but although rap magazines serve a lot of purpose if theyre reliable  ;) (see Lil Kim Naked Truth 5 mics  :laugh:). They help to create some sort of standard or else we'd have everything from Soulja boy to q tips new albums being labelled classics. They also help to direct attentions to albums that deserve it.

Classic to me is something that a) has a big impact b) is quality all the way through with some standout tracks (aka D'Evils, Let Me Ride, CREAM etc) c) stands the test of time. 'B' doesnt matter as much if the album meets the criteria for 'a' perfectly and similarly 'C' doesn't matter as much if 'A' or 'B' are true. They still though need to have a bit of each factor though.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

BakinSodaFree

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nathaniel Dwayne Hale - The greatest singer ever.
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 01:22:04 PM »
OBFCL2 is an instant classic in my ears.

Illa J - Yancey Boys ( one of my favourite album of all time actualy)
WC - Guilty By Affilliation
Little Brother - The Minstrel Show
Brother Ali - The Undisputed Truth
Jay-Z - The Blueprint
Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
Emc - The Show
Ghostface Killah - Upreme Clientele
Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP
Hi-Tek - Hi Tecknology 2
Busta Rhymes - Genesis

this are all 5/5 for me....
Under the society, still only god`s above me

R.I.P Nate Dogg.
You will forever be missed, but never forgotten.

Chad Vader

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009, 01:25:16 PM »

Are we?
Take a look at The Source magazine's classics list.
Give and take a few,it's pretty on point. (Yes,they're a little biased,but that's another story that you can read more about here)
Few if any albums from this decade deserves to be side by side with those (The Source magazine's classics) albums.

The Source's 5 Mic Albums

Run-D.M.C. by Run-D.M.C.
Radio by LL Cool J
Licensed to Ill by The Beastie Boys
Raising Hell by Run-D.M.C.
Criminal Minded by Boogie Down Productions
Paid in Full by Eric B. & Rakim
Long Live the Kane by Big Daddy Kane
By All Means Necessary by Boogie Down Productions
Strictly Business by EPMD
Straight Out the Jungle by The Jungle Brothers
Straight Outta Compton by N.W.A.
 It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back by Public Enemy
The Great Adventures of Slick Rick by Slick Rick
Critical Beatdown by Ultramagnetic MCs
No One Can Do It Better by The D.O.C.
 Grip It! On That Other Level by Geto Boys
People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm by A Tribe Called Quest
One For All by Brand Nubian
Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em by Eric B. & Rakim
AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted by Ice Cube
Breaking Atoms by Main Source
The Low End Theory by A Tribe Called Quest
De La Soul Is Dead by De La Soul
Death Certificate by Ice Cube
The Chronic by Dr. Dre
Doggystyle by Snoop Doggy Dogg
Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) by Wu-Tang Clan
Illmatic by Nas
Ready to Die by The Notorious B.I.G.
The Diary by Scarface
The Infamous by Mobb Deep
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx by Raekwon
Me Against the World by 2Pac
The Score by The Fugees
Reasonable Doubt by Jay-Z
All Eyez on Me by 2Pac
Life After Death by The Notorious B.I.G.
Aquemini by Outkast
The Chronic 2001 by Dr. Dre
Stillmatic by Nas
The Blueprint by Jay-Z
The Fix by Scarface
The Naked Truth by Lil Kim

Classic to me is something that
a) has a big impact
b) is quality all the way through with some standout tracks (aka D'Evils, Let Me Ride, CREAM etc)
c) stands the test of time.
'B' doesn't matter as much if the album meets the criteria for 'a' perfectly and similarly 'C' doesn't matter as much if 'A' or 'B' are true.
They still though need to have a bit of each factor though.

pretty much... basicilly the same shit the source dude said  ;)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 01:28:22 PM by Vader »

ikke

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2009, 01:33:36 PM »

Are we?
Take a look at The Source magazine's classics list.
Give and take a few,it's pretty on point. (Yes,they're a little biased,but that's another story that you can read more about here)
Few if any albums from this decade deserves to be side by side with those (The Source magazine's classics) albums.

The Source's 5 Mic Albums

Run-D.M.C. by Run-D.M.C.
Radio by LL Cool J
Licensed to Ill by The Beastie Boys
Raising Hell by Run-D.M.C.
Criminal Minded by Boogie Down Productions
Paid in Full by Eric B. & Rakim
Long Live the Kane by Big Daddy Kane
By All Means Necessary by Boogie Down Productions
Strictly Business by EPMD
Straight Out the Jungle by The Jungle Brothers
Straight Outta Compton by N.W.A.
 It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back by Public Enemy
The Great Adventures of Slick Rick by Slick Rick
Critical Beatdown by Ultramagnetic MCs
No One Can Do It Better by The D.O.C.
 Grip It! On That Other Level by Geto Boys
People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm by A Tribe Called Quest
One For All by Brand Nubian
Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em by Eric B. & Rakim
AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted by Ice Cube
Breaking Atoms by Main Source
The Low End Theory by A Tribe Called Quest
De La Soul Is Dead by De La Soul
Death Certificate by Ice Cube
The Chronic by Dr. Dre
Doggystyle by Snoop Doggy Dogg
Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) by Wu-Tang Clan
Illmatic by Nas
Ready to Die by The Notorious B.I.G.
The Diary by Scarface
The Infamous by Mobb Deep
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx by Raekwon
Me Against the World by 2Pac
The Score by The Fugees
Reasonable Doubt by Jay-Z
All Eyez on Me by 2Pac
Life After Death by The Notorious B.I.G.
Aquemini by Outkast
The Chronic 2001 by Dr. Dre
Stillmatic by Nas
The Blueprint by Jay-Z
The Fix by Scarface
The Naked Truth by Lil Kim

Classic to me is something that
a) has a big impact
b) is quality all the way through with some standout tracks (aka D'Evils, Let Me Ride, CREAM etc)
c) stands the test of time.
'B' doesn't matter as much if the album meets the criteria for 'a' perfectly and similarly 'C' doesn't matter as much if 'A' or 'B' are true.
They still though need to have a bit of each factor though.

pretty much... basicilly the same shit the source dude said  ;)

then let's try to form a list of classics from the 2000s by proces of elimination....

It's IMPOSSIBLE that there haven't been any classics in the last decade...

Conan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Holler at your Uncle Snoopy..."
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 01:35:41 PM »
Snoop Dogg - Tha Last Meal. December 2000, if I'm not mistaken.

A pesonal classic, undoubtedly. It dropped around the time I was just getting into Hip-Hop, and helped cement my passion for the genre. Beyond that, though, I would make the argument that it is a Hip-Hop classic.

To me, it's always been Snoop's most consistent effort after his debut. There are hidden facets of his personality that he exposed on this album, rarely to do so again. On a track like "Issues," he speaks as candidly as he ever has about his relationships within the industry. On "Go Away," he's intimidating without relying on cliched 'gangsta rap' confrontation. And on "I Can't Swim," he's impressively self-aware; When discussing vocal groupies, he drops the gem, "Take the fame away, and the game away / I bet they won't say the same that day." Any Snoop fan familiar with his pimp schtick can appreciate the significance of that honesty.

Beyond a rejuvenated Snoop, you've got some of the best production he's ever been afforded. Timbaland and Snoop reach a perfect compromise, with "Set It Off" retaining Timbo's frenetic energy while showcasing old cohorts Rage and Nate. On "Snoop Dogg (Who Am I, Pt. 2)," meanwhile, Tim delivers the kind of quirky club cut that only an artist as charismatic as Snoop could do justice to. Beyond him, you've got two of the best tracks of Meech Wells' career in the afore-mentioned "Go Away" and "Issues" - perhaps or perhaps not a result of Dr. Dre's mixing. As for Dre, his entries are great, from the hazy opening funk of "Hennessy N Buddah" to the gruff "Lay Low." You've also got Battlecat (the brilliantly mature "Stacey Adams"), Soopafly (the tropical "Losin' Control"), and Jelly Roll ("Wrong Idea") bringing the best out of Tha Doggfather.

Throw in some successful experimentation - from the bluesy singsong of "Leave Me Alone" to the boisterous Eve collaboration that is "Ready 2 Ryde" - and, in my eyes, you've got an album that is almost faultless. Were it not for the glaringly obvious No Limit track ("Back Up Off Me"), I believe a lot more heads would be singing this album's praises. Go back, revisit it, and be pleasantly surprised. This is likely the closest Dogg will ever come to matching Doggystyle.
"Shit ain't all peaches and cream, and I ain't Sara Lee, bitch!" - Lloyd Banks

"I'm Morpheus in this Hip-Hop Matrix, exposing fake shit." - Common

"With consecutive platinum hits, I up my status. Ain't no more Calvin Broadus!" - Snoop

"Look at all these conscious rappers - guess who influenced them?" - KRS One

ikke

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 01:43:44 PM »
Snoop Dogg - Tha Last Meal. December 2000, if I'm not mistaken.

A pesonal classic, undoubtedly. It dropped around the time I was just getting into Hip-Hop, and helped cement my passion for the genre. Beyond that, though, I would make the argument that it is a Hip-Hop classic.

To me, it's always been Snoop's most consistent effort after his debut. There are hidden facets of his personality that he exposed on this album, rarely to do so again. On a track like "Issues," he speaks as candidly as he ever has about his relationships within the industry. On "Go Away," he's intimidating without relying on cliched 'gangsta rap' confrontation. And on "I Can't Swim," he's impressively self-aware; When discussing vocal groupies, he drops the gem, "Take the fame away, and the game away / I bet they won't say the same that day." Any Snoop fan familiar with his pimp schtick can appreciate the significance of that honesty.

Beyond a rejuvenated Snoop, you've got some of the best production he's ever been afforded. Timbaland and Snoop reach a perfect compromise, with "Set It Off" retaining Timbo's frenetic energy while showcasing old cohorts Rage and Nate. On "Snoop Dogg (Who Am I, Pt. 2)," meanwhile, Tim delivers the kind of quirky club cut that only an artist as charismatic as Snoop could do justice to. Beyond him, you've got two of the best tracks of Meech Wells' career in the afore-mentioned "Go Away" and "Issues" - perhaps or perhaps not a result of Dr. Dre's mixing. As for Dre, his entries are great, from the hazy opening funk of "Hennessy N Buddah" to the gruff "Lay Low." You've also got Battlecat (the brilliantly mature "Stacey Adams"), Soopafly (the tropical "Losin' Control"), and Jelly Roll ("Wrong Idea") bringing the best out of Tha Doggfather.

Throw in some successful experimentation - from the bluesy singsong of "Leave Me Alone" to the boisterous Eve collaboration that is "Ready 2 Ryde" - and, in my eyes, you've got an album that is almost faultless. Were it not for the glaringly obvious No Limit track ("Back Up Off Me"), I believe a lot more heads would be singing this album's praises. Go back, revisit it, and be pleasantly surprised. This is likely the closest Dogg will ever come to matching Doggystyle.
when I was eleven and I was at my cousin who was like 30; he let me borrow all his hiphop cd's, he had 2 snoop albums: tha last meal and doggystyle, those 2 albums became some of my favorite albums of all time 8)
so it kinda got me into real hiphop (50 cent was 1 of my favorite rappers before that)

Paul

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 01:56:41 PM »
agreed but although rap magazines serve a lot of purpose if theyre reliable  ;) (see Lil Kim Naked Truth 5 mics  :laugh:). They help to create some sort of standard or else we'd have everything from Soulja boy to q tips new albums being labelled classics. They also help to direct attentions to albums that deserve it.

Classic to me is something that a) has a big impact b) is quality all the way through with some standout tracks (aka D'Evils, Let Me Ride, CREAM etc) c) stands the test of time. 'B' doesnt matter as much if the album meets the criteria for 'a' perfectly and similarly 'C' doesn't matter as much if 'A' or 'B' are true. They still though need to have a bit of each factor though.

Well i think thats what forums like these are for, where there are several people giving there views and opinions and classics can be formed from that, id much rather listen to opinons from fans and get a general opinion on music than some shady magazine that trys to manipulate what is classic and whats not

For example Th Source(Not very well respected nowadays, i know) gave that shitty lil kim album 5 mics, The latest Raekwon album only gettin 3.5 mics weh it seems like 90% of the people/fans on here are giving it near classic status, i know who im listening to
funkyfreshintheflesh

sav

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2009, 02:05:26 PM »
UGK- Underground Kingz! 2cd with only a few tracks to skip

MediumL

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2009, 02:51:16 PM »

Well i think thats what forums like these are for, where there are several people giving there views and opinions and classics can be formed from that, id much rather listen to opinons from fans and get a general opinion on music than some shady magazine that trys to manipulate what is classic and whats not

For example Th Source(Not very well respected nowadays, i know) gave that shitty lil kim album 5 mics, The latest Raekwon album only gettin 3.5 mics weh it seems like 90% of the people/fans on here are giving it near classic status, i know who im listening to

true but nowadays I don't really use the Source as a metre. Seeing who they gave 5 mics to through the 80s and 90s i'd say they were pretty accurate although a little east coast biased. But I agree with Dre when he says we have to remember what we called classic in the past. I'm not saying that anything post 1999 can't be classic (in fact i believe there to be a few) but i'm saying we can't measure a dope nowadays just against the wack shit thats out now.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

ikke

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2009, 03:08:20 PM »
Xzibit - REstless
Common - Be
Eminem - MMLP
Game - Documentary/DA
Jay-z - Blueprint (maybe even Black album)
Kanye - College Dropout
WC - Guilty By Affiliation

If these aren't classic some 90's releases aren't ether

Paul

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2009, 03:10:29 PM »
True

Like i said earlier in the thread there are very few albums since 2000 that changed hip hop and rocked it, MMLP and maybe Blueprint

Everything else is just personal classics which is cool, i hate seein people come in threads like this and sayin " Thats not classic", its not for them to say
funkyfreshintheflesh

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2009, 03:12:26 PM »
You're not wrong MDogg, first half of this decade produced some gems, the latter half some dance hits, ^^ Ikke's generation, lol.