Author Topic: True or False?  (Read 522 times)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Re: True or False?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 11:54:07 AM »
I think Pac is a tough call. He's actually my favorite hip-hop artist of all-time but even I shake my head at a lot of things that some of these fans say. It has a lot to do with him being no longer with us. They've created this idea in their mind that he was more than human. It's like people can't seperate their own vision of who Pac was with the reality. Yes, he was one of the greatest artists in the hip-hop genre but he wasn't bigger than it and to argue that there are other artists who were just as good for other reasons is not blasphemy.

But in general, the argument is true of any entertainer or public figure. They love you until you get THIS big and then they need to bring you back down. Nnobody wants to root for the person that has everything because it's not appealing. They'll root for their underdog until he becomes more than that and then they need to see him/her fall so they can cheer them again we they get back up. It's a certainty with anyone whose career is followed by millions of people.
yeah, they weren't hugging him like that when he was alive

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 02:23:34 PM »
the bigger the name you are, the better chance of people hating on you?

Tupac for example, biggest name in rap history & all i read on this board is how he is overrated; whereas a guy like Big L (who never reached stardom of Pac or Big) will never get shitted on, only praised.

As for 2Pac... I think that many of those who are or were a fan of his now realize what an artist he really was. The younger generation is more likely to think he's overrated because they never experienced Pac's music as others might have done.

good point.

Lil' Wayne - C1, C2 dropped & everybody was feelin' his music. deemed the "Best Rapper Alive", changed his "on the mic" personality & gained a massive amount of hate.
He did fall the fuck off. Compare C1 (which was his worst album to date then) to C3 and it's undeniable he fell off.

could be that he fell off, but he wasn't even at his current level of stardom back when C2 dropped.

so yeah, could be he really did fall off or he just got so big, he got the "superstar hate treatment".

But in general, the argument is true of any entertainer or public figure. They love you until you get THIS big and then they need to bring you back down. Nnobody wants to root for the person that has everything because it's not appealing. They'll root for their underdog until he becomes more than that and then they need to see him/her fall so they can cheer them again we they get back up. It's a certainty with anyone whose career is followed by millions of people.

good point; i find the way the mind works to be bullshit lol.

the only person i can think of (including outside of music) who is a superstar that recieves ZERO negativity is Tiger Woods lol.

Al Bundy

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 03:48:43 PM »
i feel as if this thread is pointed towards me.

i think that 2pac is over rated in the fact that people make him out to be the "god" MC. while I will admit he has a shitload of great songs, he isn't the best rapper ever IMHO. I don't even know who'd i'd consider to be the best rapper ever but 2pac wouldn't be one of them.

people don't shit on L because he never made it and that's what makes his death so tragic is that he was about to sign to rocafella and possibly make himself known. I think he had that personality that would of made him a celeb.

MoodMuzik

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 03:53:15 PM »

i think that 2pac is over rated in the fact that people make him out to be the "god" MC. while I will admit he has a shitload of great songs, he isn't the best rapper ever IMHO. I don't even know who'd i'd consider to be the best rapper ever but 2pac wouldn't be one of them.

people don't shit on L because he never made it and that's what makes his death so tragic is that he was about to sign to rocafella and possibly make himself known. I think he had that personality that would of made him a celeb.

why do you think pac is overrated

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 03:56:16 PM »
I don't really care what people say, to me - Pac is the best ever, I can't see anybody coming close to his status.

kemizt

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 04:02:50 PM »
I don't really care what people say, to me - Pac is the best ever, I can't see anybody coming close to his status.

agreed.

na, it was actually a thread in the Westcoast sections & countless Tupac threads that people go in & say "he was overrated".

Al Bundy

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2009, 04:20:59 PM »

why do you think pac is overrated

since he died while he was on top, everyone thinks he's the best! he was different than most rappers by how he approached the mic but you're going to tell me that he was a better "rapper" than ice cube, kool g rap, scarface, etc?

if ice cube died after bow down or sometime before that, I think a LOT of people would be singing a different tune

D1G1T4L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Digital Productions
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2009, 05:35:58 PM »
it's true... people just want to be 'unique' and special and hate on whatever is popular

50 cent was underground, most people were riding his balls, now he is a powerhouse, people hate on him

tony yayo, when he was in jail, everyone was talking about he is the best from g unit, he comes out and releases an album with a mainstream single, people say he is the worst of the crew

D1G1T4L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Digital Productions
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2009, 05:37:21 PM »
my main point is, you will never hear anybody talk down upon the likes of Raekwon or AZ or Immortal Technique.

just for the simple reason that they never are the main topic of conversation.

i remember when Drake was just starting & everybody was like "wow, this dude is the fuckin' shit!".

BLEW THE FUCK UP with some songs & then i read things like "ahh, that nigga Drake ain't all that, he's alright".

i never thought drake was good, i dont think he is good now either.. nothing special about him @ all...

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2009, 06:16:20 PM »
my main point is, you will never hear anybody talk down upon the likes of Raekwon or AZ or Immortal Technique.

just for the simple reason that they never are the main topic of conversation.

i remember when Drake was just starting & everybody was like "wow, this dude is the fuckin' shit!".

BLEW THE FUCK UP with some songs & then i read things like "ahh, that nigga Drake ain't all that, he's alright".

i never thought drake was good, i dont think he is good now either.. nothing special about him @ all...

not saying you, but the general concensus.

Sikotic™

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2009, 06:20:08 PM »
the bigger the name you are, the better chance of people hating on you?

Tupac for example, biggest name in rap history & all i read on this board is how he is overrated; whereas a guy like Big L (who never reached stardom of Pac or Big) will never get shitted on, only praised.

i feel if Pac & L switched shoes, people would be all over L, being super critical & shit.
so fuckin true.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2009, 08:50:08 PM »
People like to voice their opinions, they can't voice their opinion on someone they don't know about.

Popularity will be bring love and hate.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2009, 09:50:01 PM »
But the thing is everyone is gonna view inconic figures in a different way because they mean something different to each person. There's plenty of people who want to know what the big deal is with say, Elvis Presley or The Beattles or fucking Garth Brooks or Barbara Streisand but there's whole audiences that will live and breathe by the music they made. Art is subjective so any artist can be overrated to someone if they don't relate to the message. I think by saying Pac is immune to such scrunity is ridiculous because evry artist is subject to it no matter how popular or legitimetly talented they are or were.

Tupac was someone who died while the public's interest was so strong in him. He never had that point where people got burned out on the music or had the controversy where people seperated themselves from it. It's like losing a loved one in that we have exagerate the memories to where we overlook his shortcomings and only see his strengths. I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all but I think it's important to look at the reality of it as well. Pac is that question mark. Fans can say "Oh, if he was alive, he would shit on the same artists I hate" or "he would keep making music the same way and the industry would be better". The thing is though that he was an artist. He would have grown with time. He would made some business moves we might not have liked. He would have experimented with music we might not have been feeling. It would have happened. The thing is that so many fans use his actions in the 11 months he was free before he died as the basis for how he would have lived the rest of his life and I find that absurdly unrealistic for anyone especially someone like Tupac who was always moving in different directions.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2009, 03:39:29 PM »

I'll have to quote and correct myself on this. The only one I can see coming close to 2Pac is Scarface.  GOAT alive.

kemizt