Author Topic: Why westcoast artist don't have an album out when they have buzz  (Read 808 times)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Re: Why westcoast artist don't have an album out when they have buzz
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 12:39:33 PM »
The only artist that I have seen on Aftermath that had success in leaking records without permission is 50 Cent. That is what got the buzz going for The Massacre in the first place was him leaking material. So as much as they "did not like it", money wise and from a buzz and anticipation standpoint it worked. So being that is almost the standard from a label's standpoint, sure Bishop leaking Grow Up, it ended up on the radio, couple podcasts picked it up and some people got excited about it. But as unfair as this is going to sound, this is how labels think, it was not on the level of what 50 did. Not to the point people are demanding a Bishop album in the streets. So the label feels that he needs more time and they need more time to build him up as a artist. How ever long that is going to take.
The problem is no one in the West Coast can maintain any buzz for a long period of time. That's why it would be better to simply release an album and collect whatever you can. Of course for record labels time is money. Why waste time putting out an album that might sell well, when they got several artists that might develop into guaranteed sellers?

True. Artists can't maintain a buzz out here and for damn sure the radio and the people do not get behind the product either.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 12:43:52 PM »
The only artist that I have seen on Aftermath that had success in leaking records without permission is 50 Cent. That is what got the buzz going for The Massacre in the first place was him leaking material. So as much as they "did not like it", money wise and from a buzz and anticipation standpoint it worked. So being that is almost the standard from a label's standpoint, sure Bishop leaking Grow Up, it ended up on the radio, couple podcasts picked it up and some people got excited about it. But as unfair as this is going to sound, this is how labels think, it was not on the level of what 50 did. Not to the point people are demanding a Bishop album in the streets. So the label feels that he needs more time and they need more time to build him up as a artist. How ever long that is going to take.
i think leaking Grow Up really made Bishop's situation worse

Much worse.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 12:44:34 PM »
bishop could post the paperwork, right?

Much worse.
seems like even Dre was pissed :P

Muhfukka

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 12:46:55 PM »
d nice you need to fix your avatar you cant dishonor In a Major Way with that fucked up picture

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 12:47:23 PM »

Much worse.

I am sure he could but at this point it seems like he is just gonna chill and see how this falls into place.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 12:48:06 PM »
d nice you need to fix your avatar you cant dishonor In a Major Way with that fucked up picture

Yeah I am looking for a better quality pic  ;D. Have not found it yet.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 12:51:34 PM »

Much worse.

I am sure he could but at this point it seems like he is just gonna chill and see how this falls into place.

you mean like this:

or this:

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2009, 12:56:07 PM »

Much worse.

you mean like this:

or this:

Yeah probably lol.

Liqq2ThaFonk

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2009, 04:13:54 PM »

not quite the same situation, but Game did something similar to that too..

he dropped a 16 on that "Certified Remix" song with Jim Jones and Cam'ron without permission (i think) and then Interscope/Dre didn't want Game to be in the video but he still did it anyway..

Dre and nem got real mad...even 50 spoke about this a while ago...

lookin back, that was one of the best moves for Game besides hookin up with G-Unit for his debut..because thats the song that really gave him a name on the Eastcoast

Sometimes thats just what you gotta do in this business, cuz no one is really lookin out 4 u like yourself...even though it obviously doesnt work everytime so you have to be prepared for the worst if it fails
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 04:17:20 PM by iheartmyattitude »

Muhfukka

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2009, 04:23:42 PM »
what the fuck did that second comic have to do with anything? fucking germans

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2009, 04:27:19 PM »

he dropped a 16 on that "Certified Remix" song with Jim Jones and Cam'ron without permission (i think) and then Interscope/Dre didn't want Game to be in the video but he still did it anyway..

lookin back, that was one of the best moves for Game besides hookin up with G-Unit for his debut..because thats the song that really gave him a name on the Eastcoast

Sometimes thats just what you gotta do in this business, cuz no one is really lookin out 4 u like yourself...even though it obviously doesnt work everytime so you have to be prepared for the worst if it fails

I was not comparing the situations. Those were just examples of leaks working out and Bishop's that did not and the expectations that sometimes come with doing it. Game too yeah that did work out for him.

Liqq2ThaFonk

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2009, 05:15:15 PM »

I was not comparing the situations. Those were just examples of leaks working out and Bishop's that did not and the expectations that sometimes come with doing it. Game too yeah that did work out for him.

lol naw bruh u got me wrong...i meant that the shit i was goin on about might've been a lil off topic or compared to what you were sayin

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2009, 05:37:54 PM »

lol naw bruh u got me wrong...i meant that the shit i was goin on about might've been a lil off topic or compared to what you were sayin

My bad. Nah actually the Game example does fit in to this convo IMO.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2009, 05:52:53 PM »
Amazing isn't it? Yeah I don't get it either. But it happens so often that when a West Coast artist is really hot I don't even expect anything to transpire from that anymore. Funny thing is, a lot of these dudes are basically independent and should've and probably could've dropped whenever they were ready. These niggas keep pushing back thinking they can do  50 Cent numbers. All thee New-West niggas need to have a sit down with Daz so he can explain to them how to put an album out whenever the fuck you want it out.

Same with Bishop Lamont, WHen Grow Up dropped a video was promised and all that. Eventually nothing happened, it downed down and he's been having Dropped rumors left and right lol

Thats a different story. Bishop is property of Dre (who is property of Jimmy Iovine), he makes absolutely NO decisions.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

love33

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2009, 06:18:03 PM »
Ya Boy had the biggest recent buzz with "We Run L.A." and nothing dropped for it, not even a youtube vid.  Ya Boy has some real selling power if he collabs with the right people it could work.  They even advertised and played "We Run L.A." on espn.

Young Keno also had a good buzz with the Lil Wayne & Lloyd single, "Things You Do," and a couple of his other tracks.  He should have been pushed hard, he has that appeal.

People aren't going to buy nipsy hustle, jay rock, bishop lamont, crooked i, etc.  you gotta be able to appeal to the mainstream on your records and these guys have little to no appeal for the masses.  Look at how Twista was a battle rapper then he upgraded his style to keep his signature speed but mix it in with a little flow and some pimp beats and now he's a solid act.

I think the real reason is that record companies aren't taking chances on west coast artists.  West coast artists haven't sold anything lately, including Snoop Dogg.  E-40 has a better appeal nationwide than Snoop currently does.  There really isn't anything going for the West.  Artists that have the best chance to appeal if they work with the right producers and featured artists are Eastwood, Roscoe,Young Keno, and Ya Boy all have that potential.  But the artists like Jay Rock, Big Wy, Mitchy Slick, and Sly Boogy have little charisma and appeal to branch out and do tracks for the clubs and masses.  You gotta be able to do that to even have a chance today -- Pac was doing that back in the day with "How do you want it," and the "california love" track talkbox is similar to the autotune we're seeing today -- he really was ahead of his time, but he also rapped in an era that was favorable to the west coast g funk laid back urban movement.

Right now, it's hard enough just making money being a "rapper," let alone a "west coast" rapper.  West coast rappers basically have little to no chance because they get no love in the South, and the East plays their own shit.  They basically have 2 strikes before they even drop a record.  Then you have the radio who don't play westcoast music hardly at all outside of LA, and even LA doesn't do as good of a job as they should with their own artists.