Author Topic: Snoop Lost Sessions CD was originally MP3 files??  (Read 1407 times)

OG Hack Wilson

Re: Snoop Lost Sessions CD was originally MP3 files??
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 02:28:08 PM »
i'm going to think twice before buying the box set now....

can anyone check "too gangsta for radio" and see if death row was using mp3s back then?
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 03:57:55 PM »
I had to do it fuck a WIDEawake!!!

:o fuck that this is an out-rage!!

ON THOSE WHO INSIST TO RIP US THE FANS OFF!

since they be braggin about their vaults and all w/ DATS & REELS, you'd a thought they invest in modern technology [http://flac.sourceforge.net/]to release this shit! but nooooooooooooo they think were dumb animals.

PM ME 4 those that want the official iTunes download, HQ 320 kbps mp3 rip of the CD/ BestBuy Bonus cuts. shit i should just post on here since some of the tracks are crapily sourced anyway!! damn they're worst than bootleggers at least they try to give you some quality...

say hello to being banned
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

V2DHeart

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 04:23:48 PM »
i'm going to think twice before buying the box set now....

can anyone check "too gangsta for radio" and see if death row was using mp3s back then?

The first edition is WAV's. I don't know about the re-issue though. I never really listened to the re-issue, it just got bought and placed away collecting dust. Death Row even in those days put full efforts into correctly mixing and mastering the music. Even Friends on that compilation, which you can still hear the original sample sounded really clear. Miles better than the more recent WIDEawake/Death Row music
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

woof

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 04:39:20 PM »
John Payne :
I take full responsibility for that. We have a team of people, but I would rather that burden be placed on my head. Because I'm the one who goes to the vault and gets it out, and I go through the entire production process from start to finish. We pull it out of the vault and make sure that it's in good physical condition...and then all we've done is re-mastered. We've changed nothing, for that Snoop release and the Re-Lit that we did on Dre -- I take the full responsibility. So if anyone has any complaints or problems, blame me.
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=233341.0

JohnnyL

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 05:53:23 PM »
 For those of us who aren't all too savvy with all this audio shit, some explain to me, why these would have ever been made into mp3 form to begin with.  What I mean by that is, since many of these were recorded before the use of mp3s, there would have never been any reason for them to be converted into mp3 as any part of the recording process, correct?  So, if these were made into mp3s, it was done strictly for the purpose of selling them on this "Lost Sessions" cd, right?  If you're starting out with the DATs, is converting them into mp3s, in any way, an easier process than just making them wavs?  And if they didn't have the DATs starting out, and had to start with an mp3, that also doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  For one thing, I would have thought that they did have DATs for all of these songs.  And I also wouldn't have thought Suge (or whoever for that matter) would have seen any point in making any of these old tracks into mp3s.
 Sorry if any of this sounds incoherent.  I'm not real up on a lot of the audio recording process. 

The Watcher

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 06:06:10 PM »
i'd bet the mp3s are all that exists for most of these tracks
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

cheesefry

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 07:00:11 PM »
For those of us who aren't all too savvy with all this audio shit, some explain to me, why these would have ever been made into mp3 form to begin with.  What I mean by that is, since many of these were recorded before the use of mp3s, there would have never been any reason for them to be converted into mp3 as any part of the recording process, correct?  So, if these were made into mp3s, it was done strictly for the purpose of selling them on this "Lost Sessions" cd, right?  If you're starting out with the DATs, is converting them into mp3s, in any way, an easier process than just making them wavs?  And if they didn't have the DATs starting out, and had to start with an mp3, that also doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  For one thing, I would have thought that they did have DATs for all of these songs.  And I also wouldn't have thought Suge (or whoever for that matter) would have seen any point in making any of these old tracks into mp3s.
 Sorry if any of this sounds incoherent.  I'm not real up on a lot of the audio recording process. 
people say that am7 was an integral part of the track selection, so maybe they made the songs into mp3 to email back and forth between him or maybe just internally.  realistically an mp3 versus a wave won't make much difference here since the tracks are poorly mixed before any encoding, but it's very unprofessional and just sloppy.  the old death row would never have engaged in any of this nonsense.

for your information, a dat is a raw audio stream that when ripped generates a wave.  making them into mp3 actually adds a step into the ripping process so there's no justification of time savings in doing this.  look back at the records - there are catalogs of reels and dats (both waves).  nothing was stored as mp3.

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 07:04:51 PM »
Cheesfry,

You are correct about Hyland selecting tracks. It's why Lara calls him "an invaluable asset to the company". He chooses tracks, Payne mixes, etc. but despite this - this is the only thing everyone gets along with. Lol. They keep an FTP server full of tracks, so Hyland can go through and choose. Payne keeps them on his computer as well.

woof

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2009, 07:23:46 PM »

JohnnyL

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 07:37:09 PM »
people say that am7 was an integral part of the track selection, so maybe they made the songs into mp3 to email back and forth between him or maybe just internally.  realistically an mp3 versus a wave won't make much difference here since the tracks are poorly mixed before any encoding, but it's very unprofessional and just sloppy.  the old death row would never have engaged in any of this nonsense.

for your information, a dat is a raw audio stream that when ripped generates a wave.  making them into mp3 actually adds a step into the ripping process so there's no justification of time savings in doing this.  look back at the records - there are catalogs of reels and dats (both waves).  nothing was stored as mp3.

Thank you for clarifying some of those points.  I also didn't think that it made any sense to make any of these tracks into mp3. I've been a supporter of what Wideawake has tried to do, ever since they acquired the Death Row name, but even I won't try to justify putting mp3s on a retail cd. It seems totally unnecessary, and of no benefit, sound quality-wise.
  Your explanation of why they might have originally made the mp3s sounds logical.  If Lavi has been asking Hyland to help her with selecting tracks for these releases, sending them as mp3s back and forth through e-mails  seems reasonable.  Of course, that should have been the extent of using mp3s though.  They never should have used them for the actual retail cds.
  Looking back on their very first release, the three track sampler for record store day, all three of those songs were pretty large wav files.  And the sound quality seemed very good.  It makes me wonder why their two releases since then, have fallen so short of the same standard.  

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2009, 07:53:16 PM »

It's so surprising invaluable assets never leave the house. I can't believe Lara visited him.

Muhfukka

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2009, 08:08:09 PM »
what exactly does this mean regarding sound quality?

cheesefry

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2009, 08:13:27 PM »
what exactly does this mean regarding sound quality?
not a ton, but it certainly didn't help matters.  if they had true cdq music then yes, this practice would have degraded the sound quality.  this whole thing just makes these people look more and more like FTPE instead of like a real record label that is worth $18M.

acgrundy

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2009, 10:32:59 PM »
you know what, whether they are being shady or not, it sure as hell beats the shit out of the bootlegger prices that people been selling this stuff beforehand.

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2009, 10:35:28 PM »
you know what, whether they are being shady or not, it sure as hell beats the shit out of the bootlegger prices that people been selling this stuff beforehand.

By what seven dollars? Lol. The O.F.T.B. CD went for like 20 dollars flat - some CD's were even cheaper than that for like ten dollars.