Author Topic: Nigeria:Muslims Riot Over Miss World Pageant, Kill 100 Christians & Burn Churchs  (Read 456 times)

CWalker187

How would the Islamic world react if the situation was reversed and Mosques were being burnt down and Muslims hunted like animals? All over a beauty pageant mind you.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/2501893.stm

Nigeria riots spread to capital

Several churches were destroyed in Kaduna

Hundreds of Muslim youths have gone on the rampage in Nigeria's capital, Abuja, following Friday prayers.
The BBC's Haruna Bahago in Abuja says people armed with sticks, daggers and knives set fire to vehicles and attacked anyone they suspected of being Christian.

Miss World contestants are staying near Abuja's main mosque

The northern city of Kaduna is now quiet after two days of rioting in protest at the Miss World beauty contest, which left at least 100 people dead, according to Red Cross officials.

The protests began after a newspaper suggested that the Prophet Mohammed would have probably chosen to marry one of the Miss World contestants if he had witnessed the beauty pageant - which Nigeria is currently hosting.

The contest's organisers said on Friday they intend to go ahead with the event despite the protests.

Surrounded

On Thursday, thousands of Muslim youths went through the suburbs of Kaduna, putting up barricades of burning tyres, setting fire to buildings, and attacking churches.

According to the Associated Press news agency, thousands of people have sought refuge in army bases and police stations.

Kaduna is one of Nigeria's most volatile cities; more than 2,000 people died there in clashes between Christians and Muslims two years ago.

The Kaduna protesters demanded the cancellation of the Miss World contest. Muslim groups say it is immoral and degrading to women, and are also angry that preliminary events began during the holy month of Ramadan.

The final, to be held in Abuja, was postponed until 7 December - after the end of Ramadan.

Tight security

About 90 contestants are in Nigeria for the Miss World events, which are only taking place in southern areas which are largely Christian.

Our correspondent in Abuja says that many people suffered either knife wounds or beatings and the rioters were advancing on the city's central market.

He was himself surrounded by a group of angry Muslim radicals, who suspected he was Christian and had to shout "Allahu Akbar" (God is great) until they let him go.

The riots began at Abuja's central mosque, a short distance from the hotel where the Miss World contestants are staying amid tight security.

In Kaduna, mobs of minority Christian youths were reported to be retaliating against Muslims, and an overnight curfew was extended.

Red Cross spokesman George Bennett told the BBC that medical teams were working to give first aid to the injured, and that scores of bodies had been identified amid the debris.

Dogged by controversy

The Nigerian Government has appealed for calm and has assured Muslims that those responsible for the article, which appeared in ThisDay newspaper, would be brought to book, for exceeding "the bounds of responsible journalism."

ThisDay has retracted the offending article and has published apologies.

Nigeria is hosting Miss World after Miss Nigeria won last year

The chairman of the group that owns the Lagos-based paper suggested that a computer glitch could have been to blame for the fact that the story went to press in the first place.

The holding of the Miss World contest in Nigeria has also provoked international controversy.

It had been threatened by a boycott by beauty queens after a woman convicted of adultery, Amina Lawal, was sentenced to death by a Sharia court.

The Nigerian Government moved to calm fears by promising it would not allow any Nigerian to be stoned to death.

Have you witnessed the violence in Kaduna? Send us your experiences using the form below.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2002, 10:02:28 AM by CWalker187 »

Trauma-san

Disgusting

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
Yes, indeed there is no need for senseless acts of violence
Muslims are not Barbarians, yet these misguided youths are portraying us as one. Nigeria has a lot of issues it needs to adress politically.

On a side note, that comment about the Prophet in the newspaper was foolish, and holding the opening events of the Miss World pageant during ramadan is irresponsible as well

Nigeria is a majority Muslim country, and the govt needs to be more sensitive to its populace, christain and muslim
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

CWalker187

On a side note, that comment about the Prophet in the newspaper was foolish, and holding the opening events of the Miss World pageant during ramadan is irresponsible as well

Nigeria is a majority Muslim country, and the govt needs to be more sensitive to its populace, christain and muslim

In my opinion, Muslims need to realize that not eveyone has to believe what they believe and live like they live. If people want hold a beauty pageant, they should be allowed to. If Muslims dont like it...too bad, dont watch it. But Christians should be allowed to hold whatever events they want. What is sad is that this pageant was going to bring positive attention to Nigeria and help their economy, but these religious fundamentalists have ruined that.

What also sucks is that the people behind the pageant have announced that they are now moving it to London. So basically they are giving in to terrorism and letting the extremists win.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2002, 06:19:07 PM by CWalker187 »

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
you bring up some interesting points, c walker

however, if u examine Nigeria's political climate over the last 10 yrs or so, u would know that this was predictable

i agree that events should be held without harassment for the most part, however, with a majority Muslim population,
the Nigerian govt shouldve been more responsible,

you have to understand...the Muslim population was against such an event being held, especially during the Holy month of Ramadan, the govt shouldve been way more fuckin responsible
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch

you have to understand...the Muslim population was against such an event being held, especially during the Holy month of Ramadan, the govt shouldve been way more fuckin responsible

many christians in america don't want ALOT of things going on during our religious holidays like gay day at disney land during easter and ect. but it's allowed anyways and should be allowed, becuase in a government there needs to be a seperation between church and state or else you got chaos.....like above

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
just becuase u feel religion and state should be separated doesnt make it right

who wants a immoral , socially disintegrating society?

- Lewis Carroll

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
so you mean to tell me that religiously controlled governments that are 'free' and 'democratic' work better than a democratic state that has no bias towards any group  is better

lol

yeah it is my opinion that sep of church and state works better than a religious gov't.......and it's also fact

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

CWalker187

just becuase u feel religion and state should be separated doesnt make it right

who wants a immoral , socially disintegrating society?

We are talking about a beauty pageant.