Author Topic: The Toughest Sport In The World Is...  (Read 143 times)

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
The Toughest Sport In The World Is...
« on: December 23, 2009, 11:04:04 AM »
Boxing.

The Sweet Science.

That's the sport that demands the most from the athletes who compete in it. It's harder than football, harder than baseball, harder than basketball, harder than hockey or soccer or cycling or skiing or fishing or billiards or any other of the 60 sports we rated.

In Page 2's Ultimate Degree of Difficulty Grid, boxing scores higher than them all.

They're the ones who told us that boxing is the most demanding sport -- and that fishing is the least demanding sport.

We identified 10 categories, or skills, that go into athleticism, and then asked our eight panelists to assign a number from 1 to 10 to the demands each sport makes of each of those 10 skills. By totalling and averaging their responses, we arrived at a degree-of-difficulty number for each sport on a 1 to 100 scale. That number places the difficulty of performing each sport in context with the other sports we rated.

On the grid below, click on each sortable category to find out how our 60 sports rank in each skill. A glossary key is included at the bottom of the grid that explains each category.

So put on the gloves, get in the ring and let the roundhouse hooks begin.

The List and rankings are here: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: The Toughest Sport In The World Is...
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 02:19:27 PM »
ehh, i would say it's basketball.

1. you basically have to black.
2. you need to have good metabolism at a young age.
3. the entire world plays it, so you have to be that much better (same goes for boxing though).
4. you have to be naturally gifted to jump, shoot & run; basically born extremely athletic.

just my view on it.

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 05:31:03 PM »

3. the entire world plays it, so you have to be that much better (same goes for boxing though).
4. you have to be naturally gifted to jump, shoot & run; basically born extremely athletic.

just my view on it.

every sport is tough if your trying to perfect it or atleast go pro.

but i remember watching sports science one day and it showed that the force of a football tackle is 1000 or 500 times harder than a rugby tackle because of the mental effect it has on you when u wear padding.

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 05:39:57 PM »

just my view on it.

every sport is tough if your trying to perfect it or atleast go pro.

but i remember watching sports science one day and it showed that the force of a football tackle is 1000 or 500 times harder than a rugby tackle because of the mental effect it has on you when u wear padding.

[/quote]

that's because with padding you throw your body so much more wrecklessly.

things that you physical couldn't do without pads, unless you felt like dying.

but i guess in terms of the physical-ness, it is one of the toughest, but if you can get past getting hit, it's not all that bad.

honestly, i feel if i was taller, i'd be in the NFL lol.

EDIT: also, when i meant "toughest", i was talking about in terms of going Pro, not the toughness to play the sport.

if that's the case, Hockey is right up there.