Author Topic: Crooked I - "Fireflies (Freestyle)"  (Read 639 times)

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Crooked I - "Fireflies (Freestyle)"
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 03:51:58 PM »
My official opinion on Crooked I as an MC will be developed if and win Million Dollar Story is released.  Until then I withhold judgement and look at a career of 10 years that only produced freestyles.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Jaydc

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 04:18:26 PM »
Only freestyles?Not counting the hundreds of quality songs hes dropped and the slaughterhouse album?

Al Bundy

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 04:46:47 PM »
Only freestyles?Not counting the hundreds of quality songs hes dropped and the slaughterhouse album?

quality and slaughterhouse album in the same sentence?   :laugh:

J.E.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 05:01:53 PM »

quality and slaughterhouse album in the same sentence?   :laugh:

Imo it was one of the best albums to drop last year. What's your problem with it? (see, i'm asking a question, not just blaming you for being a Gucci Mane fan)

Gamestarr

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • P
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 05:02:01 PM »
do this nigga ever run out of lyrics,this nigga was born to rap.dope shit tho,crooked definately earned his way im top 5 best  rappers of all time list.

word.. Crooked I is amazing.. HE RIPS THIS ! like he does with every other beat he hops on.. Sickest lyrics Ive heard in my life came from Crooked.. and Im pretty sure one day Ill hear somethin even doper than the sickest Ive heard so far.. and those lyrics will most def come from him!

ToOoOoN!!!

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 05:03:19 PM »
he killed it but it's an odd beat to choose! what's next ? freestyle over the 'party in the u.s.a' beat ?

Al Bundy

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 05:07:07 PM »

quality and slaughterhouse album in the same sentence?   :laugh:

Imo it was one of the best albums to drop last year. What's your problem with it? (see, i'm asking a question, not just blaming you for being a Gucci Mane fan)

it seemed like it had no substance: just four dudes rhyming. don't get me wrong, i like three out of the four MCs in the group but the beats were pretty dull and i lost interest halfway through. if it was a mixtape then i probably wouldn't be so harsh on rating this but it isn't an "album" it's like a collection of tracks they did together

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 05:10:30 PM »
All of his guest verses and his verses on slaughterhouse aren't any different from his freestyles.  They're dope but they don't show his song writing...(edit): i mean song crafting more so than writing.  he's got bars for days. but the trick of the trade is to take those bars, use your voice in a unique way, and lay them over a beat connected by a single concept while channeling the proper emotion and feel for the track.

I don't like much of his song mixtape material.  I find most of it to be cliche and boring.  W's Down is among the best I heard from Crooked's solo material.  I've also enjoyed New West Anthem (more so for the beat than Crooked), If You Ever Hear Me, and My Life 2.0 (not sure if that's the og name).

Nonetheless, I found The Block Obama series to be boring and disappointing but don't hold them to a magnifying glass because they're free tapes.  

In my opinion, Crooked ranks among the best pre-written freestyles ever (he proved his with hip-hop weekly) and among the best guest features (proves this on Slaughterhouse debut & nearly every time he's guested) but as a solo artist his partners in crime are all better.  In the same ten year period Royce & Budden in particular have produced more quality than Crooked.

Note: I don't agree that it doesn't have substance.  IF anythign the first several tracks was just them flexing their lyricisms skills so newcomers understand what slaughterhouse was about.  The last tracks showed more subject approach material.  Nonetheless, I do agree it felt rushed.  It could have better production and mixing.  At least they got an album out.  Do you all know how many mc's talk about group albums?  Plus they rejuvenated the wave for group material.  Since them a bunch of cats have been highlighting the fact they're going to do a group album (from jay-z to black milk).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 05:15:12 PM by Action! »
- Banks

Jaydc

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 05:51:54 PM »
Young boss vol.2 was all original material and it shits on most peoples real albums.

Jaydc

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2010, 05:52:35 PM »
And I love the slaughterhouse and loved the production.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2010, 05:55:52 PM »
Yeah, well, I did not love the production and I think they've got some growing to do as a group.  I also think Young Boss Vol. 2 is boring & cliche.  I don't think it shits on most albums yet alone street tapes.  Hell, Bishop Lamonts The Confessional > Crooked Young Boss Vol 2.

Anyways, I'm off this.  I shared my opinion which won't be changed until Crooked releases an actual album.

- Banks

Jaydc

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 05:59:09 PM »
Its boring and cliche but you enjoy  before i self destruct?   ::)

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 06:06:35 PM »
Its boring and cliche but you enjoy  before i self destruct?   ::)

I like how when someone can't argue with a statement you've made bring something that doesn't have to do with the conversation.  Perfect case is this one.  50 cent has nothing to do with my opinions on Crooked I. 

But to now provide a response to your judgement,

I never said Before I Self Destruct wasn't cliche but I don't think it's boring.   I like it.

It's exactly what I expected from 50 Cent.  I enjoy it.  I don't expect 50 to wow me or to make me go like "DAMN!"  When I listen to 50 I either want to nod my head or get energy and on BISD I found enough material to do this.

As to how this relates to Crooked I? IT REALLY DOES NOT but I guess I have different expectations for him.  I mean he's the one always talking about other rappers not being up to par and how bad hip-hop is.   I'm impressed by his 52 weeks & what slaughterhouse has done.  As a solo artist he hasn't impressed me.
- Banks

Jaydc

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2010, 06:56:23 PM »
It does have to do with it.If someone says they dont like britney spears because its pop music and then turns around and praises lady gaga dont you find that odd?Thats exactly what your donig.Saying crooked is boring and cliche and then turning around and praising 50 cent.If you cant see the hilarity in that,youve got problems.So just admit your problems are with the artist himself,and not with his music.Because thats exactly the case.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2010, 07:14:11 PM »
It does have to do with it.If someone says they dont like britney spears because its pop music and then turns around and praises lady gaga dont you find that odd?Thats exactly what your donig.Saying crooked is boring and cliche and then turning around and praising 50 cent.If you cant see the hilarity in that,youve got problems.So just admit your problems are with the artist himself,and not with his music.Because thats exactly the case.

One may easily dislike Britney Spears because she's pop yet enjoy Lady GaGa because she's pop.  They're different artists producing different music. 
Plenty of people do it with hip-hop.  I don't dislike Crooked's solo material because he's hip-hop or he raps about gangsta shit.  I don't like his take on gagnsta rap because I think it comes off as cliche, boring, and unoriginal.   I like 50 because while it may be cliche it has an energy, a feel to it that Crooked's solo song material doesn't often have.

AND, yes, I judge an artist based on their work and their aspirations.  I already stated that.

As to how this relates to Crooked I? IT REALLY DOES NOT but I guess I have different expectations for him.

Do you read?

That's not to say I judge an artist by their character.  Some I admit I do such as Rick Ross.  But, for Crooked I, I don't.  In fact I should like him more because he seems one of the few down to earth mc's.  Shit, he makes me "Want to get drunk with" list.

But, I don't hear 50 cent in most of his songs dissing all of hip-hop for being wack.  I do hear Crooked I doing that.  You're material better be a-grade.  if not, shut the fuck up.  where's his recent song material to prove that?

i expect it's coming with million dollar story and so i have formulated a final opinion as a solo artist.

There's there's always Hype which is an influence.  I always hear about how great Crooked is but I don't see the solo material to back it up.  50 cent gets plenty of hate and love so it's either way there.  More hate than love recently.   I expect more from a Crooked song then I do of a 50 song.
- Banks