Author Topic: A salary won't fix Baseball problems  (Read 182 times)

The Come Up Shuffle

A salary won't fix Baseball problems
« on: April 15, 2010, 10:52:35 AM »
You always see people cry about how baseball needs a cap to even the playing field, except cham but she has a pussy between her legs and is afraid of competition.  But I see everyone crying for a cap but that won't fix the problem.  You got a number of things you can do before even thinking of implementing cap.  Everyone speak on it and I'll drop my thoughts later onl cuz I gotta get back to work.

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

Re: A salary won't fix Baseball problems
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 10:55:31 AM »
A cap would help. Not just because of the maximum spending amount...but also because there would then be a minimum payroll as well. So teams couldnt just completely tank and spend absolutely NO money (Royals, etc).  The NFL is the best league by far in the US, football it is Americas #1 sport...and its not even close. They have a salary cap. Do what they do.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 11:04:09 AM »
What are the actual problems?  That the AL teams can't hang with the Red Sox or Yankees?  Is that it? 

the ghost

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 11:53:23 AM »
A cap would help. Not just because of the maximum spending amount...but also because there would then be a minimum payroll as well. So teams couldnt just completely tank and spend absolutely NO money (Royals, etc).  The NFL is the best league by far in the US, football it is Americas #1 sport...and its not even close. They have a salary cap. Do what they do.

Daygo hit it right on.  There needs to be a upper and lower cap.  Some of the small market teams are making money off of the Yankees and Redsox (others too) and not reinvesting it in the team like they are supposed to.  I mean I don't understand why people get mad at the big spending teams.  All of the owners are rich as fuck, it's just that some are willing to invest more in their baseball team, instead of another sports team they own, or gold courses, or whatever.

Jaydc

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 12:16:44 PM »
Salary caps needs to in place,it makes them game boring,well not that you can make baseball much more boring then it already is.Instead of it being about which team can have the best philophsies and system and bringing in young talent,its abut whos got the biggest wallet.That isnt exciting to watch when its the same handful of teams making the playoffs year in year out.Sure its great for yankee fans,but every other team is fucked over by it.Imagine if every sport was like this,then youd have teams like the redskins in the NFL actually be great teams because theyd just spend the most money,as it is you just see them spend big on a handful of players and fall flat on their face.Thats exactly what would happen to the yankees if a salary cap was introduced.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 12:40:31 PM »
what problems are you reffering to, champ?

lol @ namedropping me; just tell me when you're done so i can zip my pants back up.

steroids was a problem, but they seem to have gotten past that.

& like Javier said, teams aren't as good as the Yankees or Redsox; & i don't want to be mixing threads and all but...IF my some chance they happened to switch divisions, that would be a slight improvment, no? correct me if i'm wrong & boyyyy, i know you will. ;)

what's the point of having the best & second best (maybe third if you count the Phils) in the same division; Tom, you can relate, you're use to rooting for teams in the cellar; let's hypothetically say you were an Orioles fan, you'd be pissed that you have to play the two best teams 18 times each; that could very well be over 30 losses right there.

just checking, did i take any personal shots there? using derogatory insults to you? just wondering.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 01:06:32 PM »
Salary cap won't help.  In the NBA, you constantly have the same teams winning the titles.  In the NFL, it's really almost always the same teams.  There's always a surprising team, but shit there is always a surprising team in MLB to win it all too.  The Marlins have done it twice in recent history.  The Twins are always in contention and they have one of the smaller budgets.  Why?  Because their system works amazing.  The Rockies have become a threat in recent years, and they're doing it while playing at Coors field with little money too.  Of course it will be a bitch when a team like the Red Sox comes along who can spend and knows how to raise young talent.  It seems like the Dodgers were heading in that direction with their combination of money and farm system but the stupid divorce is happening. 

If anything, I would just like to see NL teams face NL teams only...and not face your own division the most...just play each NL team the same amount of games.

the ghost

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 02:25:58 PM »
Salary cap won't help.  In the NBA, you constantly have the same teams winning the titles.  In the NFL, it's really almost always the same teams.  There's always a surprising team, but shit there is always a surprising team in MLB to win it all too.  The Marlins have done it twice in recent history.  The Twins are always in contention and they have one of the smaller budgets.  Why?  Because their system works amazing.  The Rockies have become a threat in recent years, and they're doing it while playing at Coors field with little money too.  Of course it will be a bitch when a team like the Red Sox comes along who can spend and knows how to raise young talent.  It seems like the Dodgers were heading in that direction with their combination of money and farm system but the stupid divorce is happening. 

If anything, I would just like to see NL teams face NL teams only...and not face your own division the most...just play each NL team the same amount of games.

I disagree with your comparison with NBA and MLB.  In the NBA, 1 incredible player can change a franchise.  Look and Cleveland.  Look at what Durant's done.  they have carried their teams, and they were draft picks.  Look at what Kobe did for the Lakers.  MLB requires many good players to field a good team.  So there has to be players picked up outside of your farm/draft to compete at a high level.  Sure there are exceptions here and there.  But on average you need the best players at almost every position to compete year in year out.  Washington will not win this year even thought they drafted one of the best rookies in years.  But in the NBA......well just look at Clevland, Thunder, etc...1 player has made the difference.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 02:32:28 PM »
Salary cap won't help.  In the NBA, you constantly have the same teams winning the titles.  In the NFL, it's really almost always the same teams.  There's always a surprising team, but shit there is always a surprising team in MLB to win it all too.  The Marlins have done it twice in recent history.  The Twins are always in contention and they have one of the smaller budgets.  Why?  Because their system works amazing.  The Rockies have become a threat in recent years, and they're doing it while playing at Coors field with little money too.  Of course it will be a bitch when a team like the Red Sox comes along who can spend and knows how to raise young talent.  It seems like the Dodgers were heading in that direction with their combination of money and farm system but the stupid divorce is happening.  

I disagree with your comparison with NBA and MLB.  In the NBA, 1 incredible player can change a franchise.  Look and Cleveland.  Look at what Durant's done.  they have carried their teams, and they were draft picks.  Look at what Kobe did for the Lakers.  MLB requires many good players to field a good team.  So there has to be players picked up outside of your farm/draft to compete at a high level.  Sure there are exceptions here and there.  But on average you need the best players at almost every position to compete year in year out.  Washington will not win this year even thought they drafted one of the best rookies in years.  But in the NBA......well just look at Clevland, Thunder, etc...1 player has made the difference.

My comparison is strictly with how different teams win the the title.  People want a salary cap just so that there are more different teams in competition, simply stating that MLB has a good variety of contenders.  And I understand that in the NBA, a player can make a bigger impact. 

the ghost

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 02:39:08 PM »
Cool.  I think that a sport that is more like baseball with the team concept is the NFL.  There are still some teams that are more competitive year in and year out, but they aren't always big market teams.  I really think it's all about ownership, and weather they view their team as an investment, or they pull out all the stops to compete.  A high low cap will hopefully allow for a bit more parity.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 03:52:06 PM »
# of different Champions from each sport in the past ten years:

MLB: 8
NHL: 8
NFL: 7
NBA: 5

# of different teams making the finals from each sport in the past ten years:

MLB: 14
NFL: 14
NHL: 12
NBA: 11

the ghost

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 04:25:53 PM »

Wow didn't ever see it put out like that.  maybe MLB ain't so bad after all lol.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 05:05:34 PM »
...The only way to decide this is by winning seasons. Let's take the last nine seasons and see how many teams in each sport has had more winning seasons than losing seasons. In other words how many teams in each sport has finished with a winning record at least five times in the last nine seasons.

Major League Baseball

9 winning seasons - Red Sox, Yankees

8 winning seasons - Cardinals, Dodgers

7 winning seasons - A's, Angels, Astros, Braves, Phillies, Twins, White Sox

6 winning seasons - Diamondbacks, Mets

5 winning seasons - Blue Jays, Cubs, Giants, Mariners

Total - 17

National Basketball Association

9 winning seasons - Spurs, Mavericks

8 winning seasons - Lakers, Pistons

7 winning seasons - Jazz, Rockets, Suns

6 winning seasons - Heat, Kings, Nuggets

5 winning seasons - Cavs, Nets, Timberwolves

Total - 13

National Football League

8 winning seasons - Colts, Patriots

7 winning seasons - Broncos, Eagles, Steelers

6 winning seasons - Buccaneers, Jets, Packers, Ravens, Seahawks

5 winning seasons - Cowboys, Giants, Titans

Total - 13

National Hockey League

9 winning seasons - Avalanche, Devils, Red Wings, Senators, Stars

8 winning seasons - Flyers

6 winning seasons - Blues, Canucks, Capitals, Hurricanes, Maple Leafs, Sharks

5 winning seasons - Ducks

Total - 13

As I said before, each league has a different amount of teams. The NFL has 32 teams meaning that the 13 teams that have more winning seasons than losing seasons is only 40 percent. The NBA and NHL each have 13 teams with more winning seasons than losing seasons but only 30 total teams, making it 43 percent for them. Major League Baseball on the other hand has 30 teams and 17 have more winning seasons than losing seasons, for a percentage of 57 percent.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 05:08:23 PM »

wow & somebody tried to tell me that the NBA playoffs wasn't the most predictable thing in sports lol.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 05:13:30 PM »
This goes to show you that management and player development is really what pays off in baseball.  Throwing money at a player isn't automatic success.  All the sports blogs said that giving Carlos Lee that much money for such a long contract was going to bite the Astros in the ass.  And it started to show in the 3rd year with a significant drop in power, and now in 4th year....well I'll just say it's going to keep on getting worse.