Author Topic: A salary won't fix Baseball problems  (Read 183 times)

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

Re: A salary won't fix Baseball problems
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 05:14:07 PM »
# of different Champions from each sport in the past ten years:

MLB: 8
NHL: 8
NFL: 7
NBA: 5

# of different teams making the finals from each sport in the past ten years:

MLB: 14
NFL: 14
NHL: 12
NBA: 11

wow & somebody tried to tell me that the NBA playoffs wasn't the most predictable thing in sports lol.

You have to remember the dynamics of the sport though man. When players are locked up in long term contracts...in a sport where ONE player can turn a team from a bottom dwellar to contendar...shits a little different. You can add ONE player to an NFL or MLB team it wont change THAT much. So say...LeBron for example. Him being a Cav has a much larger impact on the franchise and their success then Pujols being a Cardinal.  
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 05:20:31 PM »

wow & somebody tried to tell me that the NBA playoffs wasn't the most predictable thing in sports lol.

You have to remember the dynamics of the sport though man. When players are locked up in long term contracts...in a sport where ONE player can turn a team from a bottom dwellar to contendar...shits a little different. You can add ONE player to an NFL or MLB team it wont change THAT much. So say...LeBron for example. Him being a Cav has a much larger impact on the franchise and their success then Pujols being a Cardinal. 

that's true; but i don't know, that just takes away from the sport for me.

you can say that mostly it's the same teams in Baseball, but the Yankees aren't guarenteed to make the WS, they get bounced in the first round & stuff; whereas, it's basically a LOCK that the Lakers will find themselves in the Finals & it just hurts the sport.

it's like a lock for the Lakers & a toss up between the Cavs & Magic to meet them there.

anyway, i was comparing the predictability of the NBA Playoffs & March Madness in that thread.

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 05:32:43 PM »

that's true; but i don't know, that just takes away from the sport for me.

you can say that mostly it's the same teams in Baseball, but the Yankees aren't guarenteed to make the WS, they get bounced in the first round & stuff; whereas, it's basically a LOCK that the Lakers will find themselves in the Finals & it just hurts the sport.

it's like a lock for the Lakers & a toss up between the Cavs & Magic to meet them there.

anyway, i was comparing the predictability of the NBA Playoffs & March Madness in that thread.

Not really basically a lock for the Lakers. They have gone the last two years and as of now even with the #1 seed in the West, are really probably playing the worst ball out of the playoff teams. But had a little gap before that. Its mainly been the Spurs or Lakers over the last decade for the West. Id be willing to bet if there was no cap tho...Youd have the Lakers with quite a few more championships....and teams like the Knicks would be contenders. Small market teams would really struggle.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 07:00:06 PM »
This goes to show you that management and player development is really what pays off in baseball.  Throwing money at a player isn't automatic success.  All the sports blogs said that giving Carlos Lee that much money for such a long contract was going to bite the Astros in the ass.  And it started to show in the 3rd year with a significant drop in power, and now in 4th year....well I'll just say it's going to keep on getting worse. 

that's why i couldn't help but root for the Rays in the series a few years back.

that was a cool ass story, but at the same time i remember when the Rays were making that run everybody was like "see you need homegrown talent to win, you can't buy it"; then the Yankees turned around the next season & proved that theory wrong lol.

overall, Baseball is in a good position right now; better than when steroid allegations were controlling the news.

Jaydc

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 07:22:47 PM »
Baseball is a much more individual sport then others.Games like hockey and basketball and football,chemistry is by far the most important item.Youll often see teams spend big money but be unsuccessful because the team just doesnt gel and work well together.Like say in hockey you cant just stick any center with any wingers,just because their great players doesnt mean they will work well together.Baseball is much more mercenary,it doesnt matter about chemistry because its only one guy pitching and one guy hitting at a time.An individual player can have huge success no matter who his teamates are.Thats why the teams with the big budget are always the teams on top.Of course it doesnt gaurantee a win anything can happen,but you can throw together a bunch of random great players in baseball and be succesfull,not the case with other sports were players have to work as a cohesive unit.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 07:33:26 PM »
^maybe Baseball moreso.

but i know if LeBron, Wade & Bosh team up next season, they aren't losing & i know i could assemble a bunch of really good random players & make a winner in the NFL.

i don't know too much about Hockey, but i can see where you need to be on the same page at all times.

even though, wouldn't a national olympic team beat a NHL team 10 times out of 10?

so i guess it's the extent of what kind of talent you're throwing together.

it's just the sport though; in those other sports, you're running plays with one guy to another, Baseball doesn't have schemes & plays like those sports, everybody knows the same basic plays that anybody can do at their given position.