Author Topic: I'VE CROSSED OVER TO THE DARK SIDE !!!  (Read 2699 times)

ikke

Re: I'VE CROSSED OVER TO THE DARK SIDE !!!
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2010, 07:29:32 AM »
Like I said, the discography is the entire picture.
If he has 4 dope albums and 8 wack pop albums means the discography is dope for 33% And like I said these albums get allot of their apeal from the beats.

Wack pop albums?

A commercial single or two, doesn't make it a pop album, neither does having r'n'b-singers on hooks.

The only REAL weak Jay-album, is Vol.1, and arguably Blueprint 2, but Blueprint 2.1 set the record straight, to me Blueprint 2.1 is the real Blueprint 2.
Sure, Vol 2 & 3, Kingdom Come, American Gangster & BP3 had its share of weak tracks and filler, but they're still solid albums.

I partly disagree with your list by the way, putting KRS, Kool G, Rakim, Cypress Hill & Ghostface on there is reaching, sounds to me like they're mentioned for their names only, or it's personal favorites.. might as well put Mobb Deep & M.O.P. there then, they've been more consistent than some of those.

PS-rant:
It's funny to see how people have been brainwashed into thinking that going against the "media darlings" and denying their skills/discography is cool and trendy, and will earn you cred-points with the so-called "underground heads".  :D
No but albums with a good track or 2 do make it a pop album.
It's not just the singles with singers it's the covering of songs that basically guaranty you a hit.

How am I reaching?

4 good tracks on a 12 track album doesn't make a great album, that goes for discographies as well.

NotoriousTDA

« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2010, 07:51:08 AM »
Um no.I own most of jays albums.Ive seen him in concert a couple times.People just bought into this media created hype that hes somehow the greatest and his discography is flawless.He isnt and it isnt.Hes flawed and discography is inconsistent at best.He always gets credited for setting trends and all this shit.But take a step back from standom and what great trends did he create?What,people dont wear throwbacks anymore?The fact is when he came into the game the rap game was in a much better place and then he helped usher in the money rules bling era.His music is shallow and has no real depth.Sure ill throw on dirt on my shoulder and bob my head its a dope joint but thats as far as it goes.I always loved when jay gets criticised people bring up his do you fools listen to music or just skim through it line.Well guess what jay,people are listening and you have nothing noteworthy of being said.Jay is a great business man and has a penchant for making hit singles.He doesnt have the greatest bars,his flow isnt the best,his voice isnt the best and his content is repetitive.greatest rapper,not by a fucking longshot.

you lost all credit when you said big is overrated.

who do you even like listening to? lol you seem like you hate on pretty much everything if it doesnt involve slaughterhouse. (speaking of overrated)

Jome

« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2010, 08:00:12 AM »
It's not just the singles with singers it's the covering of songs that basically guaranty you a hit.

How am I reaching?

4 good tracks on a 12 track album doesn't make a great album, that goes for discographies as well.

How does a hip hop album with only 2 tracks that you like, make it a pop album? What kinda logic is that?

You said Jay "have 4 fucking dope albums", not me.. I'd say 3 classics, and 5-6 albums ranging from dope to solid.
But then again, I'ma Jay-fan.. I know I can't get M Dogg & Jaydc to agree with this, but denying his place in top 5 disco's in hip hop is just nonsense.

Some of these fools even resort to posting mock-pics because they can't make a valid argument.

ikke

« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2010, 08:20:03 AM »

How am I reaching?

How does a hip hop album with only 2 tracks that you like, make it a pop album? What kinda logic is that?

You said Jay "have 4 fucking dope albums", not me.. I'd say 3 classics, and 5-6 albums ranging from dope to solid.
But then again, I'ma Jay-fan.. I know I can't get M Dogg & Jaydc to agree with this, but denying his place in top 5 disco's in hip hop is just nonsense.

Some of these fools even resort to posting mock-pics because they can't make a valid argument.

I meant 2 good tracks, 12 pop tracks, it was in response to  your '2 pop singles doesn't make a pop album.'

But like I keep saying, the discography is not only the good albums but also the bad albums.
You wouldn't call a 12 song album a top 5 album either if it only had 4 good tracks.

Now I'm curious, what are your top 5 discographies?

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2010, 08:22:47 AM »
PS-rant:
It's funny to see how people have been brainwashed into thinking that going against the "media darlings" and denying their skills/discography is cool and trendy, and will earn you cred-points with the so-called "underground heads".  :D

What's funny is that the real hip hop heads will give Jay-Z credit. Everyone I know who knows more about hip hop than me tends to be more open-minded. It's the ones that only listen to a select few underground rappers who won't give him credit.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2010, 08:25:34 AM »

How am I reaching?

I meant 2 good tracks, 12 pop tracks, it was in response to  your '2 pop singles doesn't make a pop album.'

But like I keep saying, the discography is not only the good albums but also the bad albums.
You wouldn't call a 12 song album a top 5 album either if it only had 4 good tracks.

Now I'm curious, what are your top 5 discographies?

I don't think you've actually gone through all his albums, maybe skimmed through them on iTunes or something. All of his albums have more than 4 good tracks.

ikke

« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2010, 08:32:05 AM »
I don't think you've actually gone through all his albums, maybe skimmed through them on iTunes or something. All of his albums have more than 4 good tracks.
Read my post again that's not what I was saying.

PS-rant:

What's funny is that the real hip hop heads will give Jay-Z credit. Everyone I know who knows more about hip hop than me tends to be more open-minded. It's the ones that only listen to a select few underground rappers who won't give him credit.
I give jay-z credit, but top 5 discographies is one of the most stupid things I've heard in a while

Jaydc

« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2010, 09:23:15 AM »
Um no.I own most of jays albums.Ive seen him in concert a couple times.People just bought into this media created hype that hes somehow the greatest and his discography is flawless.He isnt and it isnt.Hes flawed and discography is inconsistent at best.He always gets credited for setting trends and all this shit.But take a step back from standom and what great trends did he create?What,people dont wear throwbacks anymore?The fact is when he came into the game the rap game was in a much better place and then he helped usher in the money rules bling era.His music is shallow and has no real depth.Sure ill throw on dirt on my shoulder and bob my head its a dope joint but thats as far as it goes.I always loved when jay gets criticised people bring up his do you fools listen to music or just skim through it line.Well guess what jay,people are listening and you have nothing noteworthy of being said.Jay is a great business man and has a penchant for making hit singles.He doesnt have the greatest bars,his flow isnt the best,his voice isnt the best and his content is repetitive.greatest rapper,not by a fucking longshot.

you lost all credit when you said big is overrated.

who do you even like listening to? lol you seem like you hate on pretty much everything if it doesnt involve slaughterhouse. (speaking of overrated)

Since when does saying someone is over rated mean something horrible.hes viewed as possibly the greatest rapper of all time and hence why I think  hes over rated.His first album was classic but his second album was filled with filler and thats all that he has.How can a man be considered the goat with two albums,its a joke.that being said,as a rapper he was amazing and it would have been interesting to see what he had done if he had lived.But you cant crown someone with two albums.

ikke

« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2010, 09:39:52 AM »
How can a man be considered the goat with two albums,its a joke.
When the artists has allot of non-album material.
Big L has 2 albums (1 if you dismiss posthumous albums) but a large collection of non-album material (5 albums worth excluding the DITC album).

Sikotic™

« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2010, 12:12:51 PM »
Jay-Z's discography IS inconsistent. But damn near every rapper's is. Most of them don't have certified classics though.

Yep, he's got the best discography, but at 12 CD's deep, obviously not the most consistent discography, that title goes to Dre's 2 masterpieces.  :D

LOL @ Snoop.

I don't see how when 6 out of your 12 albums are considered listenable (and that's being generous) that it's the best discography out. That doesn't even make sense. You cannot have almost as many hits as misses and be considered in the top 5, man. It's not logical.

But I give the guy all the credit in the world in terms of marketing. Like Snoop, Jay has been able to follow the formula designed to get optimal album sales: a shitty album with hot singles.

And my opinion has nothing to do with bucking the mainstream media. I agree with a lot of things that in the media. Like I said in previous posts, I have felt Jay-Z was overrated since I was a little kid....and he was considered the hottest thing out back then. I just never bought the hype and to be honest, listening to his albums from beginning-to-end validates my point (which is something many of his die-hard supporters wouldn't do again).
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2010, 04:06:18 PM »

How am I reaching?

I said Jay had 5 good albums, one classic and the rest where either average or trash, I mean his 50/50 in terms of great shit. I do listen to Jay. Now of course anyone who check's my post history will know I am not a Jay fan at all, but will also know Snoop is my favorite rapper ever (hence the name M Dogg... lol) and I compare them to each other. I've been comparing them for years, because they are so similar in everything they do, they are the best marketed rappers out there, both are about the same age (Snoop is 38, Jay is 40) they both have had high profiled beefs, (Snoop with Suge, Jay with Nas) and both have classics that I listen to over and over and over to this day. I own every Snoop album, no exceptions, I even own The Game is to Be Sold Not Told and Ego Trippin', and I have every Jay-Z album in some for (illegal download, actual bought CDs like Blueprint and Black Album, and even iTunes) so I have listened to everything they've put out.

Both I think put out just as many average albums as they put out great music, they have watered down their music for mass production. Both also are good at putting out music from other artist and both have tried to push new artist to mixed results. For every Kurupt there was a flopp'd Bad Azz (though the album was hot) and for every Kanye there was a Memphis Bleek. But both also have some of the best singles discography ever in Hip-Hop. I'd put Snoop's singles, from What's My Name, to Murder Was the Case, to B Please, to Beautiful, to even Sexual Eruption again anybody's single's discography. Even Jay's, from Sunshine to Hard Knock Life to H to the Izzo to Dirt Off Your Shoulder to Young Forever, Jay's single discography is just one of the best ever, hands down. The albums that these singles come off of are mixed, many albums from both are average with hot singles. But it's marketing, and I am willing to bet that if you ask Jay and Snoop honestly, they'd welcome being compared to each other, and they'd also tell you than some of their albums are marketing. They are not dumb, they know what's good and what's not, they also know what fans think and they also know when they put out classic shit. Jay told you a head of time Blueprint was a classic, Snoop knew The Blue Carpet Treatment would get back his fans. These are business men who know the business and know how to make money.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2010, 12:04:02 AM »

How am I reaching?

lol Jome you're almost at the level of the game stans, what is wrong with you recently?  :loco:

i've already argued with you about the subject, it's clear to me that you discredit other people's opinions when they don't say that Jay-Z is the greatest.
i think you're a cool poster, but you're a groupie when it comes to Jay

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2010, 11:36:23 AM »

Jay-Z's discography IS inconsistent. But damn near every rapper's is. Most of them don't have certified classics though.

Yep, he's got the best discography, but at 12 CD's deep, obviously not the most consistent discography, that title goes to Dre's 2 masterpieces.  :D

LOL @ Snoop.

I don't see how when 6 out of your 12 albums are considered listenable (and that's being generous) that it's the best discography out. That doesn't even make sense. You cannot have almost as many hits as misses and be considered in the top 5, man. It's not logical.

But I give the guy all the credit in the world in terms of marketing. Like Snoop, Jay has been able to follow the formula designed to get optimal album sales: a shitty album with hot singles.

And my opinion has nothing to do with bucking the mainstream media. I agree with a lot of things that in the media. Like I said in previous posts, I have felt Jay-Z was overrated since I was a little kid....and he was considered the hottest thing out back then. I just never bought the hype and to be honest, listening to his albums from beginning-to-end validates my point (which is something many of his die-hard supporters wouldn't do again).

I can't take anyone seriously when they say that 6 out of his 12 albums are only listenable, especially someone who claims to have gone through his discography. And I'm not the only one. Maybe that's just a case of you personally not liking Jay-Z. But 4 of his albums were hailed as great when they came out, almost all the rest were well-recieved and only 2 were received negatively. I smh at people who go back and underrate his music because they can't stand to agree with the mainstream crowd.

And again, no one seems to have responded to the fact that his discography is remarkably similar to Nas when it comes to quality.

Sikotic™

« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2010, 03:23:50 PM »

Yep, he's got the best discography, but at 12 CD's deep, obviously not the most consistent discography, that title goes to Dre's 2 masterpieces.  :D

LOL @ Snoop.

I can't take anyone seriously when they say that 6 out of his 12 albums are only listenable, especially someone who claims to have gone through his discography. And I'm not the only one. Maybe that's just a case of you personally not liking Jay-Z. But 4 of his albums were hailed as great when they came out, almost all the rest were well-recieved and only 2 were received negatively. I smh at people who go back and underrate his music because they can't stand to agree with the mainstream crowd.

And again, no one seems to have responded to the fact that his discography is remarkably similar to Nas when it comes to quality.
LOL I can put up a screen shot of all my Jay-z albums on iTunes if you want me to. I have nothing against Jay-Z. I already said I respect the guy. I have nothing against main stream music either. If I had some sort of beef with mainstream music, I wouldn't of propped any of the people who I believe have a better discography than Jay (like Kanye).

Jigga is overrated, simple as that, and many people agree. I am glad to see that his marketing schemes have worked so well throughout his career that people feel he's the GOAT. That's a respectable accomplishment on Jay's part.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Jaydc

« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2010, 03:27:54 PM »
It seems to me theirs teh Jay hardcore fans who believe hes the goat and all his albums are either classic or dope,and then the rest of the people who just see him as better then average with an inconsistent discography that gets highly over rated.