Poll

???

yes
5 (55.6%)
no
4 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Scottie Pippen: is he a still a "top 50" of all time player?  (Read 1181 times)

theremedy360

Re: Scottie Pippen: is he a still a "top 50" of all time player?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 01:10:04 PM »
why not?

i never understood why people under rated pippen all his career.  Just cuz he played under michael jordan, doesnt mean he wasn't good.  There have not been any players close to him since he left and before he left, why would he get dropped??

LOL why do you even comment on Basketball?

50 best players...when new ones come about...somebody will need to get dropped. Look at the ones Hack mentioned...if you think Pippen is ahead of any of those guys....you are complete idiot. LeBron and Wade still have a way to go in their career. But unless they die tomorrow...they will be far ahead of Pippen as well.

I think in order to truly have a good list, you have to go through all the players, and actually rank them so that you can truly judge who gets knocked off. My first reaction is HELL NO PIPPEN DON'T GO! I remember watching him, I remember watching him without MJ, and the dude is by far one of the top 10 greatest players in my lifetime. With that said, is he still top 50 all time, I'm not sure. When Wade, 'Melo, Bosh, Paul and LeBron are done, I doubt it, but for right now I don't see any reason to question why he'd be bumped off. His better than Kidd, Nash, Nowitzki, AI, Hill, Payton or MOST anyone else who's prime was between 1999-2007. The only 2 I would say are over Pippen are Kobe and Duncan, but even then their might be other players that would be replaced in that list over Pippen, so who knows.

I dunno about that. Top ten in YOUR lifetime? That list would include Jordan....Kareem...Magic....Bird....Hakeem...Barkley...Malone...Stockton...Robinson...etc. Not to mention current players like Kobe....Duncan....etc. I dont like to include players like Lebron and Wade just yet. Duncan and Kobe are nearing the ends of their careers...and have already accomplished enough to be considered top 50 all time (and higher). If LeBron or Wades career stopped toDAY...I dont know if they make that list. I assume by the end of their careers they will be high on it. But Pippen being top ten over the last 20-30 years or so....is pushin it IMO.  He was a great player. But my thing is...the amount of former NBA players ALWAYS grows. So as long as you keep the list at only 50....you are going to have better and better players being dropped off the list. If you kept this list up for 100 more years...imagine the greats that would fall off by that time.  And if you keep Pippen on....who else do you take off of there instead?

I don't think Pippens true greatness will ever be recognized because of the supporting role he played. I think if he had been the first option on his team he could easily be on this list, it's just hard to say because he really was never a number 1 option in his prime aside from the few years he played without Jordan.

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 02:52:43 PM »
why not?

i never understood why people under rated pippen all his career.  Just cuz he played under michael jordan, doesnt mean he wasn't good.  There have not been any players close to him since he left and before he left, why would he get dropped??

50 best players...when new ones come about...somebody will need to get dropped. Look at the ones Hack mentioned...if you think Pippen is ahead of any of those guys....you are complete idiot. LeBron and Wade still have a way to go in their career. But unless they die tomorrow...they will be far ahead of Pippen as well.

I think in order to truly have a good list, you have to go through all the players, and actually rank them so that you can truly judge who gets knocked off. My first reaction is HELL NO PIPPEN DON'T GO! I remember watching him, I remember watching him without MJ, and the dude is by far one of the top 10 greatest players in my lifetime. With that said, is he still top 50 all time, I'm not sure. When Wade, 'Melo, Bosh, Paul and LeBron are done, I doubt it, but for right now I don't see any reason to question why he'd be bumped off. His better than Kidd, Nash, Nowitzki, AI, Hill, Payton or MOST anyone else who's prime was between 1999-2007. The only 2 I would say are over Pippen are Kobe and Duncan, but even then their might be other players that would be replaced in that list over Pippen, so who knows.

I dunno about that. Top ten in YOUR lifetime? That list would include Jordan....Kareem...Magic....Bird....Hakeem...Barkley...Malone...Stockton...Robinson...etc. Not to mention current players like Kobe....Duncan....etc. I dont like to include players like Lebron and Wade just yet. Duncan and Kobe are nearing the ends of their careers...and have already accomplished enough to be considered top 50 all time (and higher). If LeBron or Wades career stopped toDAY...I dont know if they make that list. I assume by the end of their careers they will be high on it. But Pippen being top ten over the last 20-30 years or so....is pushin it IMO.  He was a great player. But my thing is...the amount of former NBA players ALWAYS grows. So as long as you keep the list at only 50....you are going to have better and better players being dropped off the list. If you kept this list up for 100 more years...imagine the greats that would fall off by that time.  And if you keep Pippen on....who else do you take off of there instead?

I don't think Pippens true greatness will ever be recognized because of the supporting role he played. I think if he had been the first option on his team he could easily be on this list, it's just hard to say because he really was never a number 1 option in his prime aside from the few years he played without Jordan.

Possibly. Or his greatness is recognized more because of Jordan. It can probably go both ways. I think Pippen was a great player, no doubt. I was questioning M-Doggs "ten best in my lifetime" comment...cus to me thats a big time stretch. But players do benefit from who they play with as well. Stockton and Malone im sure are higher on the all time list due to playing together. Especially Malone IMO.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Sccit

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 03:14:14 PM »
I think they need to update list and make it 100 greatest players of all time

add:
Bob Macadoo
Dominique Wilkins
Carmelo Anthony
Gail Goodrich
Alex English
Kevin Durant
World B. Free
Norm Nixon
Gary Payton
Larry Nance
Jason Kidd
Tracy McGrady
Vince Carter
Shawn Kemp
Allen Iverson
Dirk Nowitzki
Artis Gilmore
Pau Gasol
Gilbert Arenas
Chris Bosh
Bernard King
Deron Williams
Chris Paul
Dikembe Mutombo
Chris Webber
Tom Chambers
Elton Brand
Ralph Sampson
David Thompson
Bob Lanier
Dan Issel
Spencer Haywood
Alonzo Mourning
Grant Hill

all can be considered above Pippen

LOL @ Elton Brand being better than Pip - are you fuckin' crazy?! Use a fuckin' WIKIPEDIA and step your knowledge up dude:

NBA records:

- Career assists by a forward (6,135)[15]
- Career steals by a forward (2,307)[16]
- Career steals in the playoffs (395)[17]
- 3-point field goals made in an NBA Finals game (7, shared with Kenny Smith and Ray Allen)

Carrer Achievements:

* Pippen is one of three NBA players to record 200 steals and 100 blocks in a season (1989–90 season).
    * Pippen had 17 career triple-doubles in regular-season games.
    * Led NBA in steals (232) and steals per game (2.94) in 1994–95 season.
    * Third-most 3-point field goals made by a Chicago Bull (664).
    * His 10 NBA All-Defensive honors and 8 NBA All-Defensive First Team honors are each one shy of the NBA record.
    * Was half of the 10th tandem to score 40 points in the same game: Pippen scored 40 points and Michael Jordan scored 44 points against the Indiana Pacers on February 18, 1996
    * Was half of the 9th tandem (with Jordan) to record triple-doubles in the same game.
    * Pippen is one of four NBA players to lead his team in all five major statistical categories (points, rebounds, assists, blocks, and steals) in a season (1994–95 season).
    * Pippen was a member of the Olympic gold medal winning USA Men's National Basketball Teams from 1992 ("Dream Team 1", Barcelona, Spain) and 1996 ("Dream Team 2", Atlanta, USA).
    * Selected in 1996 as one of the "50 Greatest Players in NBA History"
    * Elected to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2010. The 1992 Olympic Basketball "Dream Team", which he played on, was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2010.

He was one of the greatest small forwards in history and def can be considered one of the top 10 defenders of all-time and you say a fuckin' Elton Brand is above him?! LMFAO!

Pip in his prime would fuckin' crush 90% of today's overhyped ass so called nba 'stars' and 'elite players' with his defense - ask Magic about it, he knows how fuckin' good Pippen was..

Up until his recent struggles with injuries, Brand was a superstar and always the 1st option on his team and a perennial 20-10 guy. A franchise player, unlike Pippen. Not saying he's had a better career than Pippen, but at his peak, he could have been argued with Pippen, as he was even an MVP candidate one season. Pippen was a great defender, but Michael Cooper was an even better defender, and you don't see him on anyones top 50 list.

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 03:28:17 PM »

add:
Bob Macadoo
Dominique Wilkins
Carmelo Anthony
Gail Goodrich
Alex English
Kevin Durant
World B. Free
Norm Nixon
Gary Payton
Larry Nance
Jason Kidd
Tracy McGrady
Vince Carter
Shawn Kemp
Allen Iverson
Dirk Nowitzki
Artis Gilmore
Pau Gasol
Gilbert Arenas
Chris Bosh
Bernard King
Deron Williams
Chris Paul
Dikembe Mutombo
Chris Webber
Tom Chambers
Elton Brand
Ralph Sampson
David Thompson
Bob Lanier
Dan Issel
Spencer Haywood
Alonzo Mourning
Grant Hill

LOL @ Elton Brand being better than Pip - are you fuckin' crazy?! Use a fuckin' WIKIPEDIA and step your knowledge up dude:

NBA records:

- 3-point field goals made in an NBA Finals game (7, shared with Kenny Smith and Ray Allen)

Carrer Achievements:

* Pippen is one of three NBA players to record 200 steals and 100 blocks in a season (1989–90 season).
    * His 10 NBA All-Defensive honors and 8 NBA All-Defensive First Team honors are each one shy of the NBA record.
    * Was half of the 10th tandem to score 40 points in the same game: Pippen scored 40 points and Michael Jordan scored 44 points against the Indiana Pacers on February 18, 1996
    * Was half of the 9th tandem (with Jordan) to record triple-doubles in the same game.
    * Pippen is one of four NBA players to lead his team in all five major statistical categories (points, rebounds, assists, blocks, and steals) in a season (1994–95 season).
    * Pippen was a member of the Olympic gold medal winning USA Men's National Basketball Teams from 1992 ("Dream Team 1", Barcelona, Spain) and 1996 ("Dream Team 2", Atlanta, USA).
    * Elected to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2010. The 1992 Olympic Basketball "Dream Team", which he played on, was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2010.

He was one of the greatest small forwards in history and def can be considered one of the top 10 defenders of all-time and you say a fuckin' Elton Brand is above him?! LMFAO!

Pip in his prime would fuckin' crush 90% of today's overhyped ass so called nba 'stars' and 'elite players' with his defense - ask Magic about it, he knows how fuckin' good Pippen was..

Up until his recent struggles with injuries, Brand was a superstar and always the 1st option on his team and a perennial 20-10 guy. A franchise player, unlike Pippen. Not saying he's had a better career than Pippen, but at his peak, he could have been argued with Pippen, as he was even an MVP candidate one season. Pippen was a great defender, but Michael Cooper was an even better defender, and you don't see him on anyones top 50 list.

Pippen was a far better all around player then Cooper tho...you know that.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 03:34:37 PM »
why not?

I'd take Pippen over Robinson, Stockton or Malone. Stockton and Malone made each other great, but Pippen was great without MJ. We make the mistake of writing Pippen off, but when you look at the 2000 Conference Finals with the Trail Blazers and Lakers, Pippen is leading that team, his the one making them all better and his the one that almost lead them to an upset against the great Lakers. You can argue all you want, but Pippen was great. It's just he had the gift and the curse of playing his peak years with MJ, which will make many believe it was all MJ. IF, and I mean IF it was all about individual players, then the Cavs would be NBA Champions last year, the Lakers would have beat the Suns in 2006 and 2007 and this year LeBron would be going for number two. We saw what happens when players like LeBron, Kobe, or MJ in the 80's don't have a great player next to them, THEY LOSE. Pippen was not as great as MJ, but he was damn near the second best player in the 90's. Without MJ, the Bulls were still a conference finals team, and the Bulls didn't have the greatest supporting unit, they had a ton of great role players. So someone had to keep everything up, and without MJ it was Pippen, who could have lead the Bulls to some great playoff runs in his own right. So lets not write off a player just because he played with MJ. NIK, that would be like writing off Kobe because he played with Shaq, or that would be like writing off Robinson because he won with Duncan. Pippen was a great defender, he was a great scorer and he had all the tools to lead a team, and he did.

You'd be surprised.

Sccit

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010, 03:35:03 PM »

add:
Bob Macadoo
Dominique Wilkins
Carmelo Anthony
Gail Goodrich
Alex English
Kevin Durant
World B. Free
Norm Nixon
Gary Payton
Larry Nance
Jason Kidd
Tracy McGrady
Vince Carter
Shawn Kemp
Allen Iverson
Dirk Nowitzki
Artis Gilmore
Pau Gasol
Gilbert Arenas
Chris Bosh
Bernard King
Deron Williams
Chris Paul
Dikembe Mutombo
Chris Webber
Tom Chambers
Elton Brand
Ralph Sampson
David Thompson
Bob Lanier
Dan Issel
Spencer Haywood
Alonzo Mourning
Grant Hill

NBA records:

Carrer Achievements:

Right, and Brand is a better rebounder and scorer than Pippen was, but my point still stands.

Sccit

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 03:36:08 PM »

add:
Bob Macadoo
Dominique Wilkins
Carmelo Anthony
Gail Goodrich
Alex English
Kevin Durant
World B. Free
Norm Nixon
Gary Payton
Larry Nance
Jason Kidd
Tracy McGrady
Vince Carter
Shawn Kemp
Allen Iverson
Dirk Nowitzki
Artis Gilmore
Pau Gasol
Gilbert Arenas
Chris Bosh
Bernard King
Deron Williams
Chris Paul
Dikembe Mutombo
Chris Webber
Tom Chambers
Elton Brand
Ralph Sampson
David Thompson
Bob Lanier
Dan Issel
Spencer Haywood
Alonzo Mourning
Grant Hill

NBA records:

Carrer Achievements:

Im hopin he was jokin with that list. Half of those players havent even finished their careers....and havent made it to that "sure fire HOF'r" status yet. I mean....Tom Chambers > Pippen? lol

Tom Chambers in his prime was better than Pippen.

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 03:42:19 PM »

add:
Bob Macadoo
Dominique Wilkins
Carmelo Anthony
Gail Goodrich
Alex English
Kevin Durant
World B. Free
Norm Nixon
Gary Payton
Larry Nance
Jason Kidd
Tracy McGrady
Vince Carter
Shawn Kemp
Allen Iverson
Dirk Nowitzki
Artis Gilmore
Pau Gasol
Gilbert Arenas
Chris Bosh
Bernard King
Deron Williams
Chris Paul
Dikembe Mutombo
Chris Webber
Tom Chambers
Elton Brand
Ralph Sampson
David Thompson
Bob Lanier
Dan Issel
Spencer Haywood
Alonzo Mourning
Grant Hill

NBA records:

Carrer Achievements:

Right, and Brand is a better rebounder and scorer than Pippen was, but my point still stands.

Then your point is ridiculous. We were talking about top 50 all time players. You put Brand above Pippen because he had a couple of good years lol. Penny Hardaway might as well be on the list in that case. Pippens career was far better the Brands has been....and probably ever will be. And Pippen was a far better overall player then Cooper was. So where do either of those two fit into this conversation?

Sccit

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2010, 03:59:43 PM »

add:
Bob Macadoo
Dominique Wilkins
Carmelo Anthony
Gail Goodrich
Alex English
Kevin Durant
World B. Free
Norm Nixon
Gary Payton
Larry Nance
Jason Kidd
Tracy McGrady
Vince Carter
Shawn Kemp
Allen Iverson
Dirk Nowitzki
Artis Gilmore
Pau Gasol
Gilbert Arenas
Chris Bosh
Bernard King
Deron Williams
Chris Paul
Dikembe Mutombo
Chris Webber
Tom Chambers
Elton Brand
Ralph Sampson
David Thompson
Bob Lanier
Dan Issel
Spencer Haywood
Alonzo Mourning
Grant Hill

NBA records:

Carrer Achievements:

Then your point is ridiculous. We were talking about top 50 all time players. You put Brand above Pippen because he had a couple of good years lol. Penny Hardaway might as well be on the list in that case. Pippens career was far better the Brands has been....and probably ever will be. And Pippen was a far better overall player then Cooper was. So where do either of those two fit into this conversation?

Well it depends...if we're talking Brand vs. Pippen and debating who was the better player when both were at the top of their game, Brand could be in the discussion. If we're talking about careerwise, he definitely isn't. But no one clarified, so I threw together a list of players who were potentially better when comparing prime years.

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2010, 04:00:04 PM »
why not?

I'd take Pippen over Robinson, Stockton or Malone. Stockton and Malone made each other great, but Pippen was great without MJ. We make the mistake of writing Pippen off, but when you look at the 2000 Conference Finals with the Trail Blazers and Lakers, Pippen is leading that team, his the one making them all better and his the one that almost lead them to an upset against the great Lakers. You can argue all you want, but Pippen was great. It's just he had the gift and the curse of playing his peak years with MJ, which will make many believe it was all MJ. IF, and I mean IF it was all about individual players, then the Cavs would be NBA Champions last year, the Lakers would have beat the Suns in 2006 and 2007 and this year LeBron would be going for number two. We saw what happens when players like LeBron, Kobe, or MJ in the 80's don't have a great player next to them, THEY LOSE. Pippen was not as great as MJ, but he was damn near the second best player in the 90's. Without MJ, the Bulls were still a conference finals team, and the Bulls didn't have the greatest supporting unit, they had a ton of great role players. So someone had to keep everything up, and without MJ it was Pippen, who could have lead the Bulls to some great playoff runs in his own right. So lets not write off a player just because he played with MJ. NIK, that would be like writing off Kobe because he played with Shaq, or that would be like writing off Robinson because he won with Duncan. Pippen was a great defender, he was a great scorer and he had all the tools to lead a team, and he did.

You'd be surprised.

lol You just gave this long explaination of Pippens "greatness" and talked about he is one of the top ten players of your lifetime...but then because Cooper is a Laker you said that I would "be surprised" when I make a comment about how much better Pippen is then Cooper. lol. Like I said before, Pippen was overshadowed by Jordan...but he also benefited greatly by playing alongside him. You think it doesnt help a players game to have the best player ALL TIME playing next to you? Every single team said..."we have got to contain Jordan". Leaving Pippen to do what? Damn near whatever he wanted. Every single team stuck their BEST defender (perimeter) on Jordan. Leaving the "great" Pippen to play against the second best perimeter defender on the opponents team. Like I said, Pippen WAS a great player. Top ten in my lifetime? No way. Top 20...maybe so. Stockton and Malone were both better then him. I do think Malone numbers are inflated due to playing with Stockton. But he was still great. Stockton is the greatest...underrated PG ever lol. He ran an offense as well as any PG ever. But he didnt have the glitz and glamour of Magic playing in LA. And Robinson, people forget...or are too young to remember how he was viewed by the league and the media during his prime. He was talked about as competiting with MJ as the best player in the league during the first half of his career. He completely changed the way bigmen play the game. He was dominant in basically every statistical category which was nuts for a bigman at that time. Scoring 71 points in a game is ridiculous no matter who you are, and being one of only 4 players to record a quadruple double is even more ridiculous.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2010, 09:12:32 PM »
why not?

You'd be surprised.

lol You just gave this long explaination of Pippens "greatness" and talked about he is one of the top ten players of your lifetime...but then because Cooper is a Laker you said that I would "be surprised" when I make a comment about how much better Pippen is then Cooper. lol. Like I said before, Pippen was overshadowed by Jordan...but he also benefited greatly by playing alongside him. You think it doesnt help a players game to have the best player ALL TIME playing next to you? Every single team said..."we have got to contain Jordan". Leaving Pippen to do what? Damn near whatever he wanted. Every single team stuck their BEST defender (perimeter) on Jordan. Leaving the "great" Pippen to play against the second best perimeter defender on the opponents team. Like I said, Pippen WAS a great player. Top ten in my lifetime? No way. Top 20...maybe so. Stockton and Malone were both better then him. I do think Malone numbers are inflated due to playing with Stockton. But he was still great. Stockton is the greatest...underrated PG ever lol. He ran an offense as well as any PG ever. But he didnt have the glitz and glamour of Magic playing in LA. And Robinson, people forget...or are too young to remember how he was viewed by the league and the media during his prime. He was talked about as competiting with MJ as the best player in the league during the first half of his career. He completely changed the way bigmen play the game. He was dominant in basically every statistical category which was nuts for a bigman at that time. Scoring 71 points in a game is ridiculous no matter who you are, and being one of only 4 players to record a quadruple double is even more ridiculous.

actually, the You'll be surprised was aimed at NIKCC. In other words, you'd be surprised he'd believe Cooper is almost as good as Pippen.

Fuck Your Existence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2010, 01:23:11 AM »
suicide is underrated

wcsoldier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 12/20/09 - Welcome to the little Anna
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2010, 02:00:23 AM »
I guess some of you never watch any 90es B-Ball games and have a very poor knowledge of the game ... once again stats are not everything , Pippen was a incredible 1 on 1 defender and a great all around player during most of his carreer...  how come you can seriously rate VC , Mcgrady , Bosh and all of these losers above Pippen .... lol

Mietek23

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2010, 04:03:17 AM »

When MJ left NBA in 93 Pippen also became Bulls 1st option and he had an MVP season. He lead the Bulls in almost everything and they won together 55 games, only 2 less than the year before with Mike! That was Pip's best season statistic-wise: 22 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 steals, 1 block per game while shooting 49% from the field. Show me someone in today's WACK BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION who do numbers like that every single night for his team aside from Lebron, Rondo and maybe Kobe?

You don't see Cooper in a top 50 list because he didn't put out the numbers Pip did! In terms of scoring, rebound, passing etc Coop is far behind Pippen dude - in terms of defense ability, they are prolly in the same lane. Both were great defenders but overall, Pippen shits on Cooper and 90% of people from your joke list! Arenas? Chris Paul? Bosh? Above Pippen?! L O L, you must be trippin' dude! How many rings they got? what are their awards? accomplishments? They good players, but not that good so let's not be ridicolous about it..

Tom Chambers in his prime was better than Pippen.

LMFAO

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2010, 10:31:44 AM »
why not?

You'd be surprised.

actually, the You'll be surprised was aimed at NIKCC. In other words, you'd be surprised he'd believe Cooper is almost as good as Pippen.

oh...well....then scratch that lol