Author Topic: Why are american sports about so much Hype instead of actual game play??  (Read 1373 times)

IRAN iz Gangsta!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Up in Yo bitch iz where you might find me!
every year NBA, NFL draft or whatever else is made such a huuuuge deal, they advertise it like its an actual game.  What happens on that day? teams pick new players...ok but nothing happens...it doesnt mean they did anything, they just take pix and sign a contract...the real game starts months later.  But they advertise it on tv like its a final

same with all the shows analyzing this and that, talking about stats and history...who cares...some of the stats are so dumb too....player X is the 3rd player in history to score on min. 4:20   shit like that...stats that have no value or sense

Lets just focus on whats real....THE GAME! fuck the other non-sense

StreetsAllSalute

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
just when all this bullshit arguing was dying down you had to do it didnt you... :-\

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

every year NBA, NFL draft or whatever else is made such a huuuuge deal, they advertise it like its an actual game.  What happens on that day? teams pick new players...ok but nothing happens...it doesnt mean they did anything, they just take pix and sign a contract...the real game starts months later.  But they advertise it on tv like its a final

same with all the shows analyzing this and that, talking about stats and history...who cares...some of the stats are so dumb too....player X is the 3rd player in history to score on min. 4:20   shit like that...stats that have no value or sense

You just set up a thread focused on bitching about what American sports media focuses on. You....are....a....fuckin....dumbass.

They focus on it, because that is what people want to see. When Football is in its offseason...Football fans are still interested in Football. When Basketball season is over, Basketball fans are still interested in Basketball.  They want to see how next season might shape up, etc.

You should consider going back to Iran. At least you wont have ANYthing to get hyped about over there. Im assuming Soccer is the #1 sport? LOL You guys are fuckin amazing at it.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

StreetsAllSalute

• Muthafuckin' Double OG

You just set up a thread focused on bitching about what American sports media focuses on. You....are....a....fuckin....dumbass.

They focus on it, because that is what people want to see. When Football is in its offseason...Football fans are still interested in Football. When Basketball season is over, Basketball fans are still interested in Basketball.  They want to see how next season might shape up, etc.

You should consider going back to Iran. At least you wont have ANYthing to get hyped about over there. Im assuming Soccer is the #1 sport? LOL You guys are fuckin amazing at it.

football(soccer) is exactly the same during the off-season i dont really see the point of this thread tbh

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
What really bugs me is the emphasis on mini story lines in a game, and this happens in every sport.  Recently, Manny Ramirez return to Fenway was bigger than the series itself.  And we had two storied franchises facing each other.  Anytime Portugal has played in the world cup, the commentators really put the storyline of Cristiano Ronaldo either being the leader that the team needs and all this other blah blah blah shit.  Hardly any tactics or game analysis is talked about during these games. 

What really bugs me is the emphasis on mini story lines in a game, and this happens in every sport.  Recently, Manny Ramirez return to Fenway was bigger than the series itself.  And we had two storied franchises facing each other.  Anytime Portugal has played in the world cup, the commentators really put the storyline of Cristiano Ronaldo either being the leader that the team needs and all this other blah blah blah shit.  Hardly any tactics or game analysis is talked about during these games. 

yeah...I get sick of hearing about Favre every off season. But its to be expected. It isnt the sports fault, its just the media. And it isnt even the medias fault...its the fans. If the fans didnt tune into to see the shit, ESPN, etc wouldnt cover it.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
For me, the mini stories are okay, but I'd rather have the Lakers vs. Celtics, not really the Kobe redemption or Gasol soft storyline. Though the draft to me is huge depending on if I have a team in the top ten, and which players are available. In the NFL when the Raiders picked JaMarcus Russell I really cared, I also remember the year they drafted Charles Woodson I watched draft coverage until 1am the night before because I was so excited to add Woodson to the team. This year the Lakers aren't in the draft, so I don't care but I am watching because I want the T-Wolves to get a good pick so I can go to some games and enjoy at least decent basketball. But overall, I think that unless you have a team in the high draft, most fans don't care.

As for the mini stories, fans make a huge deal out of this. It drives debates, it is the bases of arguments over who's the best, who's the greatest ever and so on. You can argue, if Kobe shots the game winner in game 7, MJ never did it, so Kobe's the GOAT, or you can argue, MJ never needed a game 7 to finish off a team, MJ>Kobe, and so on. the mini stories drives debate, and so the media sells it. I personally love rivalries and championship match ups to sell on their own. Mini stories MIGHT be okay in the regular season to build interest, but it is what it is I guess. Americans love it.

IRAN iz Gangsta!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
LOOL what are u guys bitching about?  im just raising a valid point

yea i understand people are still interested in knowing whats going on and everything but im talking about how much emphasis is put on some small things when they need to introduce some other sports in the mix....why not volleyball, handball, lacross or whatever others are interested in.  I'm not even talking about soccer, i dont watch ESPN for that shit, i have like 3 other channels and internet for that. 

IRAN iz Gangsta!

• Muthafuckin' Don!

ok so u gotta compare everything to Iran? did i even mention anything about iran? as a matter of fact have i ever? sports wise

iran is fucked over by gov't there is nothing thats gonna flourish under that regime and iranians know that, so dont even bring that subject up.  This is about sports in the country i live in...good ol' us of a  ;)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
You're mad that Soccer is too boring to hype up.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
LOOL what are u guys bitching about?  im just raising a valid point

yea i understand people are still interested in knowing whats going on and everything but im talking about how much emphasis is put on some small things when they need to introduce some other sports in the mix....why not volleyball, handball, lacross or whatever others are interested in.  I'm not even talking about soccer, i dont watch ESPN for that shit, i have like 3 other channels and internet for that. 

Because people that aren't in love the sport need a reason to tune in. I'll watch Brett Favre on a Monday night just to see his excellence, but more people will watch if they found out his father just died and he isn't missing a snap, and when he throws 4 or 5 TDs with a 90% completion it makes the regular every day person who isn't a fan of football smile.

With regards to soccer or the world cup, most fans aren't even big soccer fans or soccer fans at all. But they are fans of their own country. I see it up close here in Toronto with every one cheering for their home land with flags on their cars, and garage doors. Italy was eliminated today and Italians here were acting like Mussolini was back in power. I don't think 10% of these Italians watched the Champions League final, but they skipped work to watch today's game.

So when you can't sell a game on blind patriotism, you have to sell it on personal stories of the athletes.

ok so u gotta compare everything to Iran? did i even mention anything about iran? as a matter of fact have i ever? sports wise

iran is fucked over by gov't there is nothing thats gonna flourish under that regime and iranians know that, so dont even bring that subject up.  This is about sports in the country i live in...good ol' us of a  ;)

I think its more the fact that the middle east just sucks at sports....but aiight....

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I need to clear up my post.  It's not the actual back stories that annoy, but the emphasis of some game storylines because I actually do like some storylines to the players or history of the game.  Let's take the Lakers vs Celtics finals, there was SUCH a big deal about toughness.  Instead of actually breaking down the game, as it turns out that was all bullshit talk as usual. 

IRAN iz Gangsta!

• Muthafuckin' Don!

I think its more the fact that the middle east just sucks at sports....but aiight....

u dont know jack shit about middle east or anywhere else...u hardly know anything about america...

go to middle east and people there probably know more about this country than americans themselves. LOL

u dont know jack shit about middle east or anywhere else...u hardly know anything about america...

go to middle east and people there probably know more about this country than americans themselves. LOL

I hardly know anything about America? How would u know that? Not to mention, it doesnt change the fact that you guys suck at sports. lol. I remember back in the day playin in this basketball league..and one of the teams was all Persian. They called themselves the "Camels" (of course). lol God they fuckin sucked. It was like watching retarded kids play.