Author Topic: Boardwalk Empire  (Read 2175 times)

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Boardwalk Empire
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2011, 07:25:26 PM »
Here's some of the things I didn't really like or thought was just okay. 

-Nucky's lack of depth as a character.  It shouldn't have taken until the last episode to have this payoff being that he is the central character so far.  There's one thing to be mysterious, but he clearly wasn't.
But it's just the first season, and they can't unveil everything about every character's background right away while allowing the storyline to progress.  But there were signs of his past, like when he'd walk by the boardwalk and stare at the place with the premature/unhealthy babies, though of course it didn't make sense until the end.

-Bad casting for Jimmy's character.  He spends most of the time acting like he's about to cry and his lips get all pouty like if he was some 13 year old slut on myspace a few years ago.
Agreed.

-Way too much emphasis on Margaret Schroder.  We all knew what was going to happen.  She claims to be the righteous one and still ends up being with Nucky. 
She never "claimed" to be the righteous one.  I think one of the big themes of the show is the fact that anyone can be corrupted in some way, though of course the corruption itself varies in its degree.  Nucky said it himself in the last episode where it said something to the effect of everyone deciding how much sin they can live with.  But everyone in the show crosses boundaries that they probably didn't expect to cross.

Ever since Nucky took a really long look at the premature babies, I knew he had lost one.  The show isn't subtle at all.  Maybe I'm used to this from watching a whole lot of tv shows these days that I'm able to catch on quick but I don't think that's the case.  Margaret's political views and attitude has "righteous" all over.  Her arc of the season was very in detail for it to be something so simple.  The entire season's theme and each character's arc probably could have been told in 6-8 episodes and with the same effect. 

DeeezNuuuts83

Re: Boardwalk Empire
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2011, 09:28:41 AM »
You might be right.  I don't watch much TV anymore, so maybe I'm just not catching onto stuff as easily as I used to, haha.  I stick with watching the Lakers, football and boxing mostly :P