Author Topic: Revisiting UGK's "Ridin Dirty"...  (Read 439 times)

Lunatic

Revisiting UGK's "Ridin Dirty"...
« on: August 04, 2010, 09:56:30 PM »
I did this with the Kanye West thread and it went pretty well. Maybe I'll try continuing it with the random albums I listen to while I'm on the computer. Let's see how this one goes...

1. Intro - N/A
2. One Day - 5/5. One of my favorite UGK songs ever. 3-2 killed it. Ronnie Spencer merked the hook. UGK spit well too. 3-2 was underrated back in the day. Ol school feel here.
3. Murder - 4.5/5. Rare raw UGK hip-hop. Pimp C came aggressive and it was dope. Probably the best Bun B verse ever!

4. Pinky Ring - 4.25/5 Back to the smooth UGK. Love the hook. Pimp C kills this verse, 1 of my favorites from him. Bun B used a different flow and it works.
5. Diamonds & Wood - 4.5/5. Fits Pimp C perfectly. He killed the hook and his verses. One of my favorite Bun B verses on this album too.
6. 3 in the Mornin' - 4.25/5. Bun B verse cool. Pimp C hook tight. Another good UGK album cut.

7. Touched - 4.5/5. Dope ass 2 Bun B verses. Even Jay-z pulled from the first. More aggressive UGK hiphop. Pimp C finally comes in and is tight too.
8. Fuck My Car - 4.25/5. Everyone knows this one. UGK always used this line later on. Good track.
9. That's Why I Carry - 4.5/5. A little aggressive again. Bun B smoked this 1st verse. Hook got a dope ol school hiphop feel to it. Bun B was the standout here.

10. Hi-Life - 4.5/5. Pimp C is dope on meaningful stuff. So versatile he was. Hook could be better. Still dope. Very soulful too.
11. Good Stuff - 4/5. Classic Pimp C flow. Hook is alright. Might be the album's most forgettable track. Speaks volumes of how good this album is.
12. Ridin' Dirty - 4.25/5. This shit is dope right here. Great closer before the Outro. Kind of short though.

13. Outro - N/A. Dope beat though.

Overall it's a dope album, a classic at that. But I can't say if it' UGK's best album. There catalog is too consistent for that.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

westsiderider323

Re: Revisiting UGK's "Ridin Dirty"...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 10:33:43 PM »
and can you believe i found this album in my football locker room in high school in perfect condition  8) i still bump it to this day

Lunatic

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 10:36:29 PM »
^ wow, how? Had u forgot it in there or it was someone else's and u took they locker that (obviously) wasn't cleaned out properly?

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 11:52:50 PM »
dope ass album for sure.

doggfather

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 05:45:39 AM »
and can you believe i found this album in my football locker room in high school in perfect condition  8) i still bump it to this day

you are lucky! 8)
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 07:59:51 AM »
i still bump this at least once a month. murder has the SICKEST bun b verse ever

westsiderider323

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 08:30:18 AM »
^ wow, how? Had u forgot it in there or it was someone else's and u took they locker that (obviously) wasn't cleaned out properly?

naw they were in the trash!! i was throwin away a paper towel and i saw some cds in there there was a too short cd, e-40, mobb deep, dj quik and the UGK and im was like WTF?? i took them out and took em home

soopa-man

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 01:06:18 PM »
wow thats the first time ive seen some one not rate "Murder" at least a 6/5 thats one of the first tracks that got them props on both coast in The Source and shyt that shyt was on like replay for me back then on some tape i made back then...dope ass album "One Day" is also like some perfect shit...

Lunatic

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 01:29:31 PM »
wow thats the first time ive seen some one not rate "Murder" at least a 6/5 thats one of the first tracks that got them props on both coast in The Source and shyt that shyt was on like replay for me back then on some tape i made back then...dope ass album "One Day" is also like some perfect shit...
I just feel like "One Day" is better but 4.5/5 for Murder isn't bad lol. 4.5/5 is practically perfect.

soopa-man

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 04:06:51 PM »
each to his own i guess bro, that track just sticks out like a sore finger to me, just over all good hip hop, to me not many southern rappers really flow like that, the last track i heard that i was like damn was Bun B on Beanie Sigel's "Purple Rain", he just sometimes really reps that South shit and takes it to another level like Jay does NY Snoop does LA and Face did Texas ...Bun came way correct on that one just difference of opinoin but props for posting sumpn about the album though dogg

Al Bundy

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 05:55:48 PM »
a lot of those tracks deserve a 5/5 rating

Bananas

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 11:46:58 PM »
This album is a 5/5. The outro was a ten minute version "diamonds and wood" played out live and it was/is a great smoking track.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 09:51:26 AM »
the perfect cd to throw in the ride and cruise to. Was bumping this last week. Agreed, One Day is my fav UGK track

LAZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 10:52:05 AM »
1. Intro- N/A
2. One Day 5/5
3. Murder 5/5.. def a 5/5 they both come in hard
4. Pinky Ring 5/5 some fly pimp shit
5. Diamonds & Wood 5/5 i think id say this is my fav track on the album
6. 3 In The Morning 3/5
7. Touched 3.75/5
8. Fuck My Car 4/5.. i wondered why this was a single, good song but way better tracks than this
9. Thats Why I Carry 2.75/5
10. Hi Life 5/5.. one of the deeper tracks
11. Good Stuff 5/5, like u said Pimp killed it but it was def a standout for me since this use to be one of my fav samples
12. Ridin Dirty 4/5
13. Outro 5/5 love the instrumental they play in the back, i wish i could cut Pimp talking over it though

*Tape Only- You Dont Know Me 5/5 too bad it was left off the CD, shits so country but still so hip hop

Very Good album, alot of classic tracks. My only complaint about the album is that dude talking before almost every song

Whats next, Super Tight? Thats a very dope album too
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 10:59:05 AM by LAZY »

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 11:02:36 PM »
This album is a 5/5. The outro was a ten minute version "diamonds and wood" played out live and it was/is a great smoking track.

that shit was our smoke session anthem back in the day...