Author Topic: Dan Marino is the greatest QB to ever live  (Read 1082 times)

bad-n-fluenz supporter of the dangerous crew movement

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Dan Marino is the greatest QB to ever live
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2010, 10:28:58 AM »
G.O.A.T

The Come Up Shuffle

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2010, 10:54:01 AM »
marino had 1,108 more passing attempts than elway of course he's gonna have more yards & tds than elway. lets bring up rushing stats elway 3407 yards rushing 33 tds.... marino 87 yards rushing 9 tds.... i would rather have a qb that can thow & run

I'll give Elway that, he was a much better scramber than Marino.  But Dan's QB rating was higher and his TD to INT ratio shits all over Elways.  Elway was a good QB that became great when TD came along.  Marino was a geat QB without a running game or star receiver.  Before the two super bowls, Elway was the lovable loser.  Even the Simpsons made fun of him on two occasions.

Bill Walsh said ti best when comparing Montana and Marino.... "Joe Montana was the product of a system, Dan Marino WAS a system."

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2010, 12:13:52 PM »
elway was a great qb long before td came along...denver never had no standout running game before td...td to int ratio...like i said marino had 1,108 more passing attempts than elway! that fuck head dan reeves is why elways stats are not as high....marino had 120 more tds than elway but like i said 1,108 more attempts of course he's gonna have more...im telling you if mike shanahan was his coach back then his stats would shit on marino's

The Come Up Shuffle

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2010, 01:07:47 PM »
elway was a great qb long before td came along...denver never had no standout running game before td...td to int ratio...like i said marino had 1,108 more passing attempts than elway! that fuck head dan reeves is why elways stats are not as high....marino had 120 more tds than elway but like i said 1,108 more attempts of course he's gonna have more...im telling you if mike shanahan was his coach back then his stats would shit on marino's

I don't think you understand what TD/INT ration means

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2010, 02:08:39 PM »

I don't think you understand what TD/INT ration means

i understand what you mean but if you're gonna use that stat then you need to say montana is better than marino.....marino 1.67 TD/INT ratio....elway 1.33:1 TD/INT ratio...montana 1.96 TD/INT ratio

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2010, 02:20:59 PM »
making 3 superbowls > making 1 superbowl

Elway was the better QB.  He may not have won a SB until 97 but he was a winner.  Similar to Mcnabb's run in Philly....nobody can dare call him a loser.

oh but I forgot, tommy says Dan Marino was playing with 150 pound offensive linemen and armless wide receivers while the other 29 or whatever teams were playing with steroids and normal o-lines.
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2010, 07:08:15 PM »
fuck dan reeves...if mike shanahan was the coach back then as well elway's stats would have been a lot better.....& elway never cracked 4000 yards passing... 1993 stats 4,030 yards passing 25 tds 10 ints. im not trying to take anything away from marino are any other QBs

Mike Shanahan was there when Elway was in the 80s. He was all but in charge of the offense. And you're bringing up a 90s stat when he wasn't anywhere near the SB. I said the years they were in contention in the 80s his numbers were no where near Marino's. And when he got Shanahan as HC and got Rod Smith, Terrel Davis, Shannon Sharpe and Ed McCaffrey he still didn't crack 4000 and barely cracked 25. In his 12 starts in 98 he had 22 TDs 2800 yards and 10 Ints. In his 4 starts on that same team the back up Bubby Brister had about 1000 yards, 10 TDs , and 3 INTs. Which mathematically would have gotten him 3900 yards, 40 TDs, and 12 INTs if he finished up. Hypothetically of course.

No one shits on Marino's prime numbers. EVER!!!!!!!!! To say the 80s Elways with Shanahan as head coach, (when Shanahan was OC anyway), would shit on 5084 yards and 48 TDs, or 4700 yards and 44 TDs is just absurd. Name me one QB today with TWO seasons of near 5000 yards and over 40 TDs.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2010, 08:31:14 PM »
fuck dan reeves...if mike shanahan was the coach back then as well elway's stats would have been a lot better.....& elway never cracked 4000 yards passing... 1993 stats 4,030 yards passing 25 tds 10 ints. im not trying to take anything away from marino are any other QBs

Mike Shanahan was there when Elway was in the 80s. He was all but in charge of the offense. And you're bringing up a 90s stat when he wasn't anywhere near the SB. I said the years they were in contention in the 80s his numbers were no where near Marino's. And when he got Shanahan as HC and got Rod Smith, Terrel Davis, Shannon Sharpe and Ed McCaffrey he still didn't crack 4000 and barely cracked 25. In his 12 starts in 98 he had 22 TDs 2800 yards and 10 Ints. In his 4 starts on that same team the back up Bubby Brister had about 1000 yards, 10 TDs , and 3 INTs. Which mathematically would have gotten him 3900 yards, 40 TDs, and 12 INTs if he finished up. Hypothetically of course.

No one shits on Marino's prime numbers. EVER!!!!!!!!! To say the 80s Elways with Shanahan as head coach, (when Shanahan was OC anyway), would shit on 5084 yards and 48 TDs, or 4700 yards and 44 TDs is just absurd. Name me one QB today with TWO seasons of near 5000 yards and over 40 TDs.

he never said they'd shit on MArino's stats.

Marino's stats are great....but at the end of the day Drew Brees didn't care about his 5,000 yard season because he was 8-8.  Marino's ENITRE CAREER must feel that way.
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2010, 06:28:49 AM »
i'll put a end to this in my opinion elway is the g.o.a.t no stats or anything you say will change my mind on that...you guys like marino thats fine i'm not taking anything away from him its just a matter of opinions

The Come Up Shuffle

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2010, 07:54:03 AM »
making 3 superbowls > making 1 superbowl

Elway was the better QB.  He may not have won a SB until 97 but he was a winner.  Similar to Mcnabb's run in Philly....nobody can dare call him a loser.

oh but I forgot, tommy says Dan Marino was playing with 150 pound offensive linemen and armless wide receivers while the other 29 or whatever teams were playing with steroids and normal o-lines.

Again Hack repeats what ESPN tells him and he can't come up with a legit argument so he has to resort to hyperbole to try and stay in the discussion.  Elway had better teams than Marino, Elway is not the better QB.  By your reasoning Doug Williams is better than Marino ?  Jim Kelly is better than Marino ?  Does being a fucking moron and being bald have some sought of correlation Hack because you are the baldest muthafucka I know and the dumbest as well.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2010, 06:45:06 AM »

Marino's stats are great....but at the end of the day Drew Brees didn't care about his 5,000 yard season because he was 8-8.  Marino's ENITRE CAREER must feel that way.

And how great was Drew Brees before his team became better than him? No Greg Williams, no SB ring. No Sean Payton and Drew Brees is sitting at home right now with Jeff Garcia.

Brees is a perfect example of what a team and a system means to a QB. He was run of the mill borderline great in small glimpses but that's it. Now he's top 3 because his team got better.

People like you are what's wrong with the NFL.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2010, 10:13:24 AM »
^I don't know about you, but I thought Brees has been in the top three QBs in the league for quite some time now.

He's been putting up some monsterous numbers for years now.

I mean, his stats have gotten progressively better with his team getting better over the years, but he's been in my top three since like '06 lol.

And what I don't get is that you keep saying that QB's can't win games by themselves, so does that mean every successful QB that plays by a system (because according to you that's the ONLY way you're going to win) can't be considered great? A QB basically has to enter the league, praying that his team sucks, so he never wins a Superbowl, which is something I'd say most people strive to do (win a SB); so this way he looks like some rouge warrior who does shit by himself so he can be considered one of the best.

I'm not saying Marino isn't one of the best. Easily in the top three all-time, but to say Marino > Montana or Marino > Elway because of what team they were on is stupid. You understand all you're basically doing is judging by "if", "could", "should", "would". "If Montana or Elway were on the Dolphins they wouldn't have nearly as good numbers." That's an impossible argument lol. Arguments need proven facts, not just personal, likely biased opinion.

But it's all love, fam. 8)

The Come Up Shuffle

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2010, 11:01:57 AM »

People like you are what's wrong with the NFL.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2010, 07:07:39 PM »
^I don't know about you, but I thought Brees has been in the top three QBs in the league for quite some time now.

He's been putting up some monsterous numbers for years now.

I mean, his stats have gotten progressively better with his team getting better over the years, but he's been in my top three since like '06 lol.

And what I don't get is that you keep saying that QB's can't win games by themselves, so does that mean every successful QB that plays by a system (because according to you that's the ONLY way you're going to win) can't be considered great? A QB basically has to enter the league, praying that his team sucks, so he never wins a Superbowl, which is something I'd say most people strive to do (win a SB); so this way he looks like some rouge warrior who does shit by himself so he can be considered one of the best.

I'm not saying Marino isn't one of the best. Easily in the top three all-time, but to say Marino > Montana or Marino > Elway because of what team they were on is stupid. You understand all you're basically doing is judging by "if", "could", "should", "would". "If Montana or Elway were on the Dolphins they wouldn't have nearly as good numbers." That's an impossible argument lol. Arguments need proven facts, not just personal, likely biased opinion.

But it's all love, fam. 8)

I'm not trying to say you can't be seen as a great QB unless you do it in a bad system. Marino had a great system, but it was based around his amazing talent. They built the offense around his ability to release the ball in under 3 seconds and throw it in traffic. I can't for the life of me think of another QB before Marino that a system like that was based on. Unitas maybe but the difference with him was the NFL didn't change for him. After Marino teams were looking to use that system and needed "another Marino" to run it. And every couple years they try and prop one up. Peyton might be the only "next Marino that lasted". In recent years guys like Jay Cutler, Matt Ryan, and now Bradford are supposed to be it, but we'll see how it ends up.

Now Favre played in an amazing system his whole career but I have no problem seeing his amazing talents shine through it. The problem I have with Montana is that given his situation I can't see how he didn't have the success he had. A top 3 o-line, a top 3 Defense, a top 1 WR for the last two SBs, and a top 1 OC as head coach. None of that is debatable and none of that has anything to do with Montana making them better. Steve Young showed us what he looked like before and after the same system. Now I can't say at all what Montana would have been like outside the system. I won't even use KC as an example because that was at the end of his career, and after a lot of injury. But based on the performancees I've seen with my own eyes I see Dan Maino make better throws under more pressure than Montana makes under no pressure. And you can substitute Marino with Manning and Montana with Brady for that last statement.

I'm not faulting a QB for being able to sit in the pocket for longer times and have check downs be wide open and go for extra yards. I'm saying I know Peyton can sit untouched and dump the ball off, or throw a lob to Moss. I've never seen Brady have to deal with constant pressure and covered WRs all day and succeed. I've seen him fail miserably in those situations. I've seen Manning get beat up in those same situations, but I look at two similar games; Brady against the Ravens D last year and Peyton against the Steelers D in 05. Same situations. A very agressive D breaking the line and jamming up the WRs, but while Peyton was good enough to adjust and make it a close game, Brady was completely shaken and it was a blowout. That's why I think Peyton is way ahead. Because of what he looks like in the worst of situations.

U.N.T.O.U.C.H.A.B.L.E.

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2010, 12:08:03 PM »
eli manning has more superbowl victories :D

Eh, his brother is the only person I could see that could be compared to Marino. Joe Montana too.

my top QBs of all time

Otto Graham
Joe Montana
Peyton Manning
Johnny Unitas
Brett Favre
Dan Marino
John Elway
Bart Starr
Tom Brady  (die!)
Terry Bradshaw  (took steroids so he gets a downgrade)

Steve Young in his prime mayb e #1 but sadly he didn't start playing until age 29 so he didn't crack my top 10

here's my top QB's list:

1 joe montana (the greatest ever, still undefeated in super bowls)
2 tom brady (the 2nd coming of montana kinda)
3 john elway (a true warrior that got his rings finally)
4 johnny unitas (the name says it all)
5 brett farve (70,000 yards, 500 tds & 100% heart)
6 steve young (his numbers were incredible even starting late in his career)
7 terry bradshaw (if he wasn't such a hater he'd be higher on the list)
8 dan marino (great cannon of an arm but not mobile enough)
9 peyton manning (the 2nd coming of marino kinda, except he won a ring lmao)
10 ............................