Author Topic: AZ Interview (Talks Do Or Die 2, Retirement & Catalog)  (Read 72 times)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
AZ Interview (Talks Do Or Die 2, Retirement & Catalog)
« on: December 07, 2010, 09:28:48 PM »
http://illuminati2g.com/site/2010/12/08/az-interview/

I2G spoke with AZ for a exclusive interview. We discuss his 15th Anniversary Edition album of Do Or Die, that dropped last week. We also discuss his current plans to drop Do Or Die 2 next year and we go over his albums over the years and his favorite tracks and moments so check it out.

To hear the audio on the interview, click on the link below:

http://www.mediafire.com/?pctl6ou9jgzup4r

Illuminati 2G is here with AZ how’s it going man?

Quiet storm, just taking it easy bruh.

Your new project, Do Or Die 15th Anniversary Edition dropped about a week ago. Tell me a little bit about the project and the concept behind it.

Well basically I was working on Do Or Die 2 and it is a sequel, which now everyone is doing, and I just wanted to add on. When I was working on it, I did not want to speed it up and once October came, it was 15 years since I had dropped the first Doe Or Die.

I was like instead of rushing the project, let me just add songs that I was working on as well as remix about 5 songs from the old album and give it to the peoples. Just to pause them for a while until Doe Or Die 2 drops.

Could you tell me some of the producers and guests that you worked with on the project?

No guest appearances but producers I got Statik Skeletah, Moss, Frank Dukes, David Paul of the Beat Fanatics, Optimus Prime, some up and coming acts that really love that hip hop sound and they brought to the table what I was trying to capture.

For next year, you are dropping Doe Or Die 2. Is there any details that you can give about that album? I know you have said you reached out to Nas and possibly getting Dr. Dre on the project.

Well actually I am reaching out to everyone. I spoke to Pete Rock, Premier, and I am still reaching out to people. I kept about 1 or 2 tracks that I am going to have on Do Or Die 2 so I am continuing to work and working towards a summer release. I am sure everything will fall in place though.

You had also announced that you are contemplating retirement after Doe Or Die 2 drops. What prompted that decision for you?

I mean I have been in the game for a while and I feel that I did pretty fair for myself. Coming into the game and not knowing anything about the business at all to learning the business. Going from a major to independent, and I really want to leave the game unscarred and I feel that I got my point across and I feel that it is time for new artists to come out and do their thing, that’s all.

Now many people with retirement and hip hop they feel like that lasts maybe for 3 months or a 6 month decision.

Laughs

Are you one of those type of people that once you say you are done, it’s over?

You know what, nobody can answer that. You remember when Superman had to hang up his boots for a bit and he was Clark Kent for a while and then the people needed him again? He had to go back to where he was first born, I say that to say that is my intentions but if need be, things happen. But I am not looking forward to dropping any more albums but you never know, a deal might cross the table or something that you never did in this business might present itself.

I just wanted to briefly go over your catalog and get your favorite tracks or favorite moments from those albums. First is Do Or Die.

Favorite one was definitely Sugar Hill. It is my favorite because it was how I felt and I was able to capture what was going on at that particular time with the disco music we called it. It was that disco music, that sugar free and I was meshing it do. As far as keeping it hardcore on those type of beats.

Another record on there was Rather Unique. Because of Pete Rock, period.

What about working on The Firm album? What was your favorite track or favorite moment off of that?

Phone Tap, dealing with Dr. Dre and at the same time it was a good look. It was care free, we went it heard the beat, and we got into a zone. Another one I liked was Throw Your Guns with Half-A-Mil, one of the last records. It was cool, me and him brought alot to the table and he was nice at the time and we just caught a nice vibe off that track man.

I remember back when that album came out, the expectations for that album was ridiculous. Did you guys feel any added pressure to make that album a classic?

No, that is what should have been there. You have to understand that everyone individually was in their own zone with their own career, so coming together there was so many hands in the pot that we just wanted to work. It was not like we wanted to create a total masterpiece, because everyone still had their owns albums to work on. I was working on Pieces Of A Man at the same time, and then with all that and everyone in the studio, it really became work oriented.

That leads right into the next album. What about Pieces Of A Man?

Pieces Of A Black Man was one of my joints and the intro. I had Nina Simone on that and it was real cool.

Next one is 9 Lives.

That was when I was making my transition and I put out S.O.S.A in the streets. It did good and that was the first time I did a project hand to hand in the streets like that and that was how Motown picked me up. I added a few of those songs from that to 9 Lives is What Cha Day About, and Problems.

Aziatic

That was my best album to me, I like the whole album to be honest. Give or take one or two songs, I like the whole album, and it was a nice transition point for me. I was really locked in and was in a carefree state of mind. I learned the business and I felt positive about everything that I was around. That whole album was my best album to me.

A.W.O.L.

That was a transition as well, going to Koch and being independent and trying to figure out that zone. On A.W.O.L. it was a Premo track, The Come Up that was mean that I like. That was not my first time working with Premo, but as far as being a track that he was as excited as I was, that was the joint right there.

The Format

Same with that, Premo came back to the table with The Format. The title track and that was just crazy.

Undeniable

I had a couple joints on there that I really liked. To me, Undeniable was me being mature and me finally getting to the final stage of my career and really expressing myself and that is probably my second favorite album.

Do you have any upcoming shows or tour dates?

I will be in Detroit right before Christmas and then Virginia and DC after. I just came off of a overseas tour in October and I was in London, Germany, Berlin, Belgium. Right now I am just spot dating and looking forward to another tour top of the year.

What is your website information?

www.heyaz.com

Alright well that is all the questions I have for you, appreciate you for getting down for the interview. I am a big fan of your music and I have been following you since Do Or Die and I consider Affirmative Action one of my top 5 joints of all time. Just have been following you with The Firm and your solo albums and I would hate to see you hang it up after this last album, but you had a tremendous career and I appreciate all the music you have put out.

Thank you, I appreciate it very much.

Is there any last words before I let you go?

Go get that 15th Anniversary Edition of Do Or Die. It is bridging the gap, 5 new songs and 5 remixed songs and I am sure the fans will love it. From young guys to certified legends and that is what it is.