Author Topic: Has a rap album EVER received praise like MBDTF?  (Read 1043 times)

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Has a rap album EVER received praise like MBDTF?
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2010, 12:09:48 AM »
people should get acclaimed for their work, but when ur crazy and u think ur larger than life - that is not healhty..

Healthy?

Y'all some bitches.

It's the best hip-hop album of the year and it also happens to be his best work.

::)
so that makes it the best album of the year, huh?
make a run for ur money

Kanye West's current attitude is a traditional one to have in the hip hop genre.  Healthy or not, rappers have been battling each other for decades saying who is the best.  In this particular case there isn't a beef, but Kanye claims to be the best hip hop artist and this culture has always been like that.  People just love to hate on this guy for X amount of reasons.  "He's too arrogant", "he was an asshole for the Taylor Swift incident", "ignorant motherfucker for the katrina/Bush incident",  "He's part of the Illuminati", "look at this dude's fashion, what a faggot".  This attitude dominates more than any of the good press this guy is getting right now.  People still have to apologize before saying they like Kanye these days.  "Oh, dude's a fucking dick but he makes good music".

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2010, 02:19:16 AM »
people should get acclaimed for their work, but when ur crazy and u think ur larger than life - that is not healhty..

Healthy?

Y'all some bitches.

It's the best hip-hop album of the year and it also happens to be his best work.

make a run for ur money

Kanye West's current attitude is a traditional one to have in the hip hop genre.  Healthy or not, rappers have been battling each other for decades saying who is the best.  In this particular case there isn't a beef, but Kanye claims to be the best hip hop artist and this culture has always been like that.  People just love to hate on this guy for X amount of reasons.  "He's too arrogant", "he was an asshole for the Taylor Swift incident", "ignorant motherfucker for the katrina/Bush incident",  "He's part of the Illuminati", "look at this dude's fashion, what a faggot".  This attitude dominates more than any of the good press this guy is getting right now.  People still have to apologize before saying they like Kanye these days.  "Oh, dude's a fucking dick but he makes good music".

yeah, but Kanye is an extreme example.. he is crazy and insane.. and u cant feed him more ego, before he tries to run for president. good confidence is one thing - Napoleon-syndrome is somethin totally different..

granted, he makes great msuic -- but he isnt better than  everybody else.. he's just good in his field -- but the dude tries to transcend that over the top, and compare himself to everybody..

quoting Quincy Jones,

"he's just a rapper"..

Anunikke

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2010, 02:33:07 AM »
I'd call it the best mainstream album of the year, so I guess I agree with all the acclaim.
this

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2010, 11:54:09 AM »

Healthy?

Y'all some bitches.

make a run for ur money

yeah, but Kanye is an extreme example.. he is crazy and insane.. and u cant feed him more ego, before he tries to run for president. good confidence is one thing - Napoleon-syndrome is somethin totally different..

granted, he makes great msuic -- but he isnt better than  everybody else.. he's just good in his field -- but the dude tries to transcend that over the top, and compare himself to everybody..

quoting Quincy Jones,

"he's just a rapper"..

Anybody that has run for President and either has been close of being one or actually has become President is a bigger narcissist than Kanye will ever be.  And this thread is evidence that he isn't just good in his field. He's getting much more love from rock oriented publications than hip hop ones.  He's making good songs period, not just good hip hop songs. 

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2010, 11:54:42 AM »
I'd call it the best mainstream album of the year, so I guess I agree with all the acclaim.
this

What's the best non-mainstream album then? 

Anunikke

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2010, 11:59:06 AM »
this

Kill Devil Hills / Dinner & A Movie / Season of the Assassin

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2010, 12:18:11 PM »
this

Now, why is Kanye the mainstream album? I want to know the other main stream albums that have this...

-9 minute hip hop ballads with a voice solo outro
-1/3 of the album have a folk singer be on the songs
-guitar solo in between two verses

The thing is that Kanye isn't mainstream, his music and actions just become the standard for mainstream. 

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2010, 12:50:25 PM »
this

Now, why is Kanye the mainstream album? I want to know the other main stream albums that have this...

The thing is that Kanye isn't mainstream, his music and actions just become the standard for mainstream. 

Nobody will have a reasonable response to that, great point. You'll get some BS reply because you just upset so many people with that lmfao.

But very true, Kanye gets pushed by a major label, but what about the music is mainstream?

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2010, 12:58:47 PM »
this

He's mainstream because he's a big name and people pay attention to him. I've listened to several albums that I think are better this year, but none of them are mainstream so they aren't being reviewed by major publications or being heard by the average hip hop fan. So its no surprise to me that's its being called album of the year (aka album of the year out of the albums that most people are aware of).

theremedy360

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2010, 01:16:35 PM »
Every Eminem cd?

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2010, 01:17:13 PM »
this

He's mainstream because he's a big name and people pay attention to him. I've listened to several albums that I think are better this year, but none of them are mainstream so they aren't being reviewed by major publications or being heard by the average hip hop fan. So its no surprise to me that's its being called album of the year (aka album of the year out of the albums that most people are aware of).

A few of those publications that have Kanye number 1 have some weird ass albums in their top ten that aren't even close to being mainstream.  Yet, they've crowned Kanye number 1.

Anunikke

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2010, 01:23:13 PM »
this

Everybody is talking about this album, that's why it's mainstream.

It's different from a normal mainstream album doesn't mean it's not mainstream.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2010, 01:42:20 PM »
^So just because Kanye has built an enormous image for himself, as a person, over the years his music must suffer to be put in that "mainstream" category & be shrugged & looked lesser on by people like you who will always support an underground album first?

I heard "Dinner & A Movie" & Brotha Lynch Hung made a great album, but it's not undeniably better than Kanye's album.

You hear an album like "Recovery", that's mainstream to me. You hear Eminem selling out & you truly get that feeling that the label tells him what to do & he does it. You listen to Kanye's album & you get that vibe that Kanye did whatever he wanted on that album & nobody is pushing him to make certain music, he does what he wants.

Now just because he's a highly recognized public figure & his work is popular regardless of what it sounds like, he can't be in that "great Hip Hop" discussion? He has to be in that "well..for a mainstream album...." grouping?

Not cool.

Anunikke

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2010, 01:55:33 PM »
Mainstream isn´t a genre.
You have people forcing mainstream appeal by following the current trends but that´s not the entire picture.

To get a definition: "Mainstream is, generally, the common current thought of the majority."
Now how does kanye not fit that description.

You make it sound like mainstream was used in a derogatory sense, I wasn't.
I just (well, rap) said it was the mainstream album of the year because it wasn't among the greatest of the year but it was the greatest when you limit yourself to the mainstream releases or grouping as you put it..

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2010, 02:00:38 PM »
Mainstream-
noun 1.
the principal or dominant course, tendency, or trend:

–adjective 3.
belonging to or characteristic of a principal, dominant, or widely accepted group, movement, style, etc.: mainstream Republicans; a mainstream artist.

Kanye is a mainstream artist, but his new album is nowhere close to being the dominant movement in the industry (right now).  Like I said before, he's always been a trendsetter.