Author Topic: Darelle Revis: "The only time I broke a sweat on Sunday was in the shower"  (Read 1276 times)

OG Hack Wilson

HAHAHAHA

For four quarters, Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis schooled Reggie Wayne in the loneliest number, as reflected in Wayne’s statistics. The Colts threw one pass to Wayne. He caught one pass. For 1 yard.

Wayne entered Saturday night’s playoff game ranked among the N.F.L.’s most productive pass catchers. He recorded 111 receptions during the regular season, the second most in the league. The Colts threw to him, on average, 11 times a game.

That Indianapolis basically ignored one of the league’s most dangerous receivers said something about Revis and his impact. Peyton Manning is often lauded as the smartest quarterback in football. He avoided Revis the way most teams have since November, throwing his way by accident or with extreme caution.

After the Jets advanced with a 17-16 victory, Revis packed for the trip home, followed by a return to New England for a divisional playoff game this Sunday. A reporter asked him if he broke a sweat Saturday.

“Only when I took a shower,” Revis said.

Revis laughed when he said this, but that did not mask the annoyance in his voice. Because for Revis, this season has been defined by patience, and now his patience is wearing a little thin.

Patience during his acrimonious training-camp holdout. Patience after he injured a hamstring against New England in Week 2. Even patience following his return to form, when teams took the opposite strategy most employed a year ago.

It worked like this: If Revis wanted to open his now famous island, they would ignore his half of the field.

This worked wonders for the Jets’ defense, especially against the Colts. Most N.F.L. teams use their top cornerback against the opposition’s second-best receiver, then roll coverage toward, or double-cover on most plays, the No. 1 receiver. Revis can cover the top wideout, man to man, play after play, week after week.

At full strength, Revis is like having an extra defender because he removes a wide area of the field, essentially by himself. He allows the safety or cornerback who would provide help to do something else, to blitz or to cover another receiver or to stalk another area of the field. He gives the Jets advantages afforded to only those teams with shutdown corners of Revis’s ability.

According to Coach Rex Ryan, such players are rare, if not limited to a pool of one. Ryan is prone to hyperbole, of course, but he took his praise for Revis to another level Monday.

“Quite honestly, he’s the best player in football,” Ryan said. “The impact he has is amazing. He’s a once-in-a-lifetime player. The game this week will be the same deal, because when people see him over there, they don’t even throw at him. They realize that the guy isn’t going to be open. I don’t care who the receiver is.”

Last season, Revis nearly captured the N.F.L.’s defensive player of the year award, breaking up 31 passes and making 6 interceptions. Teams continued to throw at him, despite the clear lack of success, and Revis Island entered the sports lexicon.

His uncle Sean Gilbert, a longtime N.F.L. defensive end, warned Revis what would happen this season. Which is why, in a recent interview, Gilbert said Revis had not so much returned to peak performance as his peak performance had become more difficult for the casual fan to see.

“I don’t think it’s necessarily that he lost form,” Gilbert said of Revis, who broke up 10 passes and did not have an interception this season. “Teams don’t throw at him as much, or hardly ever. I explained to him, this is what you work for. It’s not that you want it to be easier. The game is about respect. That’s what you’re fighting for every week, for the naysayers and those that don’t believe in you.”

Revis further emphasized Gilbert’s point against the Colts. He rendered Wayne invisible, which happens, well, never. Wayne’s next-lowest output took place in 2004.

Afterward on Saturday, Wayne told reporters in the Colts’ locker room that “I shouldn’t have even suited up.”

In an interesting twist, the man who blanketed Wayne on Saturday also shared in his frustration. Revis remains, at his core, a competitor, a cornerback ranked among the most competitive players on the Jets. In an extended interview last month, he recognized the respect that teams had granted him. But that did little to ease the boredom he feels during games, or elevate his statistics, which are all lower than last season.

Against the Patriots on Sunday, Revis is likely to shadow more than one receiver, because quarterback Tom Brady likes to spread the ball around. Regardless, Revis is not likely see more action than in recent weeks. So goes his 2010 season.

Asked what he most learned from the holdout, Revis did not hesitate. He answered immediately, firmly, resolutely.

“The thing I learned was patience,” Revis said. “That’s what this whole season was.”
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
I love talking shit. 8)

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I love talking shit. 8)

Me too.  And when its from a player that comes from a team I dislike (like the Jets), it makes me want them to lose even more.

Go Pats!

Oh, and thank science that there's gonna be no Phillaflopia in the Super Bowl!!!  8)
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Yeah but they didn't really need to throw to Wayne all day. The Colts only had 3 straight 3rd and 1s that they could not convert; 1 from a terrible run game and two because Blair White doesn't know how to catch a ball. The only pass to Wayne was a broken screen play on a 3rd and 8. The second half was another 3rd and 1 that shit run team couldn't convert and another where White, again, couldn't catch the ball.

Polian really gets on my nerves. When Clark and then Collie went down you'd think they'd trade for a veteran familiar with the system like Stokely or find someone with some talent and experience, but instead they stick it out with scrubs and it costs them. If the Colts simply had a mediocre run game they'd have wrapped this game up early. Peyton can call the runs, you can't expect him to teach players how to block and run.

I'd be all over Cable if I were Polian. Which means they won't even try to get him. They need a real gut check on defense too. Hire Mangini or Singletary and draft a nose tackle in the first round. Then man to man CBs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Yeah but they didn't really need to throw to Wayne all day. The Colts only had 3 straight 3rd and 1s that they could not convert; 1 from a terrible run game and two because Blair White doesn't know how to catch a ball. The only pass to Wayne was a broken screen play on a 3rd and 8. The second half was another 3rd and 1 that shit run team couldn't convert and another where White, again, couldn't catch the ball.

Polian really gets on my nerves. When Clark and then Collie went down you'd think they'd trade for a veteran familiar with the system like Stokely or find someone with some talent and experience, but instead they stick it out with scrubs and it costs them. If the Colts simply had a mediocre run game they'd have wrapped this game up early. Peyton can call the runs, you can't expect him to teach players how to block and run.

I'd be all over Cable if I were Polian. Which means they won't even try to get him. They need a real gut check on defense too. Hire Mangini or Singletary and draft a nose tackle in the first round. Then man to man CBs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

That will still not prevail over Brady; THAT GOD.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Of course not. Brady doesn't have a line that can't move the ball on 3rd and 1, and no way are Danny Woodhead or Hernandez dropping those balls.

Now Brady on the Colts on the other hand would have lost that game 21-3.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Of course not. Brady doesn't have a line that can't move the ball on 3rd and 1, and no way are Danny Woodhead or Hernandez dropping those balls.

Now Brady on the Colts on the other hand would have lost that game 21-3.

Brady could win by himself, one on eleven, on the road, in the snow, mid-hurricane, with a broken ankle, against either Pro-Bowl team, while giving an interview on Late Night with David Letterman.

So don't give me that shit.

OG Hack Wilson

the didn't NEED wayne?  how come htey lost lol
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Because the o-line cannot push the pile. Garcon had a monster day, and if Blair White makes that catch it's game over. They need an o-line, not Wayne. Of course there isn't even a market for Wayne if they did want to trade him. Every GM in the league knows he's not worth more than a 3rd round pick, maybe a 2nd.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Yeah, Football isn't a team sport anymore. Having good players is irrelevant; it's about standing out & losing so excuses can be made.

I hear Peyton is going to the Panthers next season, just so he can assure himself another failure of a season, but be sure to stand out as the only player on the team; because as you know, that's what everybody strives for when they play in the NFL.

Don't pay any mind to the fact that basically every championship team in the history of sports have more or less ALL have had amazing players on the their rosters, none of those players will be remembered; too much help.

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

Re: Darelle Revis: "The only time I broke a sweat on Sunday was in the shower"
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 08:59:16 PM »
What an idiot. This last win was more about the Colts being ineffective than the Jets being any good. The Chargers went into Indy and crushed them. They have been off all year. The Jets are just looked at as clowns. Their QB is trash. Their defense is living off of last years success, they are average this year. Their running game is good...but has slowed down later in the season. They have just been barely squeaking by and have the nerve to run their mouths lol. Its like watching a retard talk shit after making a hoop.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

OG Jaydc

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Fuck your opinion.
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 03:01:14 AM »
What an idiot. This last win was more about the Colts being ineffective than the Jets being any good. The Chargers went into Indy and crushed them. They have been off all year. The Jets are just looked at as clowns. Their QB is trash. Their defense is living off of last years success, they are average this year. Their running game is good...but has slowed down later in the season. They have just been barely squeaking by and have the nerve to run their mouths lol. Its like watching a retard talk shit after making a hoop.
.          And yet they are still ten times better then the raiders. And theirs no doubt Sanchez has struggled but he's also only 24 and only in his second season. If he's trash what does that make Jason campbell? Trash as well? Considering hes in year 6 and has slightly better numbers then Sanchez , and I mean slightly. And let's not get into how teams are looked at considering the raiders have long been the laughingstock of the NFL with most players refusing to play there. Meanwhile Rex Ryan was voted the coach most players would like to play for. And let's face it this season will be the best raiders have for a while. They got rid of a coach the team loved, aso will not be back and they don't even have a first round pick next draft. This team is still going in the wrong direction. they still have a horrible run d that resembles Swiss cheese and with aso gone thier pass d will take another drop
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:16:39 AM by Jaydc is back »

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 07:46:02 AM »

Yeah, Football isn't a team sport anymore. Having good players is irrelevant; it's about standing out & losing so excuses can be made.

I hear Peyton is going to the Panthers next season, just so he can assure himself another failure of a season, but be sure to stand out as the only player on the team; because as you know, that's what everybody strives for when they play in the NFL.

Don't pay any mind to the fact that basically every championship team in the history of sports have more or less ALL have had amazing players on the their rosters, none of those players will be remembered; too much help.

If Colts had just one other player in the realm of Manning's talent they wouldn't need excuses. All I'm saying is that Wayne being shut down just opened the door for Garcon to have a big game. Wayne playing decoy to Revis was good enough to create room for White, but White sucks. Collie may have made the difference on a couple of plays, but maybe not either. A true great like Tony Gonzalez or Andre Johnson would have definitely made a difference. And Marshawn Lynch would have taken this team to the Superbowl.

The point is that Manning lead the Colts offense to a score on every 2nd half possession, and only 1 of the three was an FG instead of a TD because of Manning, and even that one should have been 1st and goal with a pass INT call, because Manning fed it perfect to Tamme but the DB got their early with a hit. The other two 3rd downs were a 3rd and 1 and a Blair White drop. I'm not asking for a lot here.

The Colts didn't need Wayne. They just needed a 3rd and 1 conversion, a referee to call a penalty, a WR to catch a ball right in his hands, a special teams game that doesn't run into punters after the kick is punted and doesn't let a 50 yard kick off return with a minute left, a defense that doesn't let Mark Sanchez move down the field like he's Peyton Manning, and a coach that doesn't take time outs and then makes excuses for it. If anyone of those things didn't happen the Colts would have had a better chance at winning than if Wayne found out a way to get open against Revis. Because any Wayne catch is a no-catch for Garcon.

OG Jaydc

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Fuck your opinion.
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 08:35:10 AM »
The colts only had two possessions the entire second half. And if the jets had run the ball the whole game this game wouldn't have been close. Sanchez also overthrew a few receivers that would have been sure touchdowns. Watching this game anyone in thier right mind knows the jets should have won. Going into the next game Sanchez worries me, he's got a tear in his right shoulder and it's quite evident it's effecting him he was missing throws all game.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 09:38:26 AM »
The colts only had two possessions the entire second half. And if the jets had run the ball the whole game this game wouldn't have been close. Sanchez also overthrew a few receivers that would have been sure touchdowns. Watching this game anyone in thier right mind knows the jets should have won. Going into the next game Sanchez worries me, he's got a tear in his right shoulder and it's quite evident it's effecting him he was missing throws all game.

There's no doubt the Jets are the better unit. The Colts to quote Ray Lewis "are a very below average ball club if you take out #18". It's nothing I haven't been saying for years. So if you had a stud like #18 to a unit like the Jets, it'd be like adding Michael Jordan to the Pistons in 88.