Author Topic: The official The Dark Knight Rises thread...  (Read 8130 times)

ICHI THE KILLER

Re: The official The Dark Knight Rises thread...
« Reply #225 on: July 21, 2012, 04:50:48 AM »
yep dope movie really enjoyed, might even go to see again

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #226 on: July 22, 2012, 10:23:09 PM »
I was very pleased with the film. I felt the pacing was the best of the series. The other two both either went to far with the story or dragged on or both. I liked the explanation of Bane and the reasons he is there, and I liked how it ended. I have less complaints than I have of the other two films. Joker alone makes me lean towards the last film being best, but this is pretty close.

If Shallow likes this movie, then god damn this movie has to be good. I have learned one thing about a Shallow review, a short good review is most people's 5 stars. A short paragraph complaint is like 4 stars, and a modest rant is like 3 stars, and a long page rant is a dud to him but must be a blockbuster smash that my wife will actually watch with me.

Can't wait to see it.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #227 on: July 23, 2012, 09:52:59 AM »
I was very pleased with the film. I felt the pacing was the best of the series. The other two both either went to far with the story or dragged on or both. I liked the explanation of Bane and the reasons he is there, and I liked how it ended. I have less complaints than I have of the other two films. Joker alone makes me lean towards the last film being best, but this is pretty close.
I've already seen the movie twice (once at midnight on Thursday, and again last night with my girlfriend), and I agree with a lot of what you said.  Even though this one is longer, the pace was good, as you stated... and despite its length, I never really got bored or felt like I was waiting for something to happen, though there were cases of that in The Dark Knight.  Obviously the portrayal of the Joker is hard to beat (in terms of Heath Ledger's performance), but the way they portrayed Bane overall was VERY good, maybe even better.  I'd say that his dialogue was better than what they wrote for the Joker while making him the most dangerous villain (while being dangerous in a variety of ways) in the trilogy, which is what I felt separates Bane from the others... he is more intelligent than Joker, stronger than Batman (and possibly more skilled in hand-to-hand combat), while being far more feared.  Joker, on the other hand, was dangerous but not feared ("We're not intimidated by your thugs") and never really had people bow down to him (as the mob bosses only got scared once he pulled out grenades or when in a situation where they were going to get killed anyway... Bane struck fear in everyone while also being able to kick damn near everyone's asses.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #228 on: July 23, 2012, 11:49:50 AM »
I've already seen the movie twice (once at midnight on Thursday, and again last night with my girlfriend), and I agree with a lot of what you said.  Even though this one is longer, the pace was good, as you stated... and despite its length, I never really got bored or felt like I was waiting for something to happen, though there were cases of that in The Dark Knight.  Obviously the portrayal of the Joker is hard to beat (in terms of Heath Ledger's performance), but the way they portrayed Bane overall was VERY good, maybe even better.  I'd say that his dialogue was better than what they wrote for the Joker while making him the most dangerous villain (while being dangerous in a variety of ways) in the trilogy, which is what I felt separates Bane from the others... he is more intelligent than Joker, stronger than Batman (and possibly more skilled in hand-to-hand combat), while being far more feared.  Joker, on the other hand, was dangerous but not feared ("We're not intimidated by your thugs") and never really had people bow down to him (as the mob bosses only got scared once he pulled out grenades or when in a situation where they were going to get killed anyway... Bane struck fear in everyone while also being able to kick damn near everyone's asses.

Ledger's performance is far and away the best acting in the seriers. It's not even close. But also, the actual cinematic portrayal of the Joker in certain scenes make for more powerful moments than anything they did with Bane. Not that I'm knocking Bane. But the intro scene setting up Joker simply better with the bank heist over the plane scene with Bane. And the scene where Joker kills the fake Batman on TV was just downright nerve racking. Heath and Nolan made you a little on edge and nervous every time Joker was on the screen by the end of the film. It's in large part what made Two-Face so noneffective in my opinion. We just saw the scariest dude in the series for 2 hours, what the hell can Two-Face do that won't seem like a watered down version? The answer is nothing. You simply don't follow the king, you let him end the show.

It'd be like letting Jay Leno do a 30 minute stand up routine to end the show after you just watch two hours of Richard Pryor. The truth is that even if it's Bill Hicks with the best 30 minutes of his career, you're still too drained to care.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #229 on: July 23, 2012, 12:06:52 PM »
Reports came out during the Dark Knight shooting that Nolan had originally set up the story for Two Face to be the main villain in part 3, but changed the script so that Joker could continue in part 3 and basically Two-Face was an after though. Harvey Dent was so important to the series that I felt Two-Faces death at the end of the movie was wasted. But that's only after 4 years of watching my Dark Knight Blu Ray that I can actually point out it's flaws. But there was word coming off the set that Nolan was so much in love with Joker that he wanted him in part 3, and he was proud he didn't kill Joker. Sadly, we all saw what happened to Heath Ledger and Nolan said his done with the Joker after that. But even the dialog in Dark Knight pointed to an endless battle between Joker and Batman.

Fast forward to Dark Knight Rises, I have not seen it yet, but if Shallow says it's good then I'll go with it. I think the Dark Knight's pacing was intentionally jerky. Ledgers performance as Joker dominated the movie and the movie seemed to be at the Joker's pacing. It was almost like the movie was made so you felt like you are in either Batman's mind trying to defeat the Joker, or you were in Joker's mind. Either way, it seemed the pacing was meant to be jerky and uneven to give the feel of unpredictability the first time you want it. After a few watching the low parts get really low and the high parts are really intense. With Bane being a very smart and calculating villain, I can imagine that the pacing would be more even. Bane in the comics is a very even character, sometimes too cocky and always dangerous and intelligent.

As I said, I can't wait to see this, it's the first time I have ever NOT seen Batman on opening days since Batman Returns. This is also the first time a Batman movie came out since I had been married and my wife really wants me to wait until my birthday, but this is very very hard.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #230 on: July 23, 2012, 12:09:52 PM »
Ledger's performance is far and away the best acting in the seriers. It's not even close. But also, the actual cinematic portrayal of the Joker in certain scenes make for more powerful moments than anything they did with Bane. Not that I'm knocking Bane. But the intro scene setting up Joker simply better with the bank heist over the plane scene with Bane. And the scene where Joker kills the fake Batman on TV was just downright nerve racking. Heath and Nolan made you a little on edge and nervous every time Joker was on the screen by the end of the film.
They're just two different approaches, but I think Bane's scenes are just so brutal and more effective while showing that he is far less compassionate than Joker, who in most scenes gives people the chance to survive by killing each other, like when recruiting Gamble's men or when he threatened to blow up the hospital of that one Wayne Enterprises employee wasn't killed or when the two boats had triggers to blow up the other boat (though I realize he was going to do it himself, but only after neither boat triggered the explosion).  On the flipside, Bane (and his men) are the ones to inflict pain and suffering and just do it without the other people having a shot at survival.

Nolan had to really tone down a lot of the violence, as a lot of what are really the most disturbing parts aren't even really seen, such as the scene where Bane breaks Dr. Pavel's neck or when he kills Daggett, though you can hear him screaming in the background.  And even the three bodies of the U.S. Special Forces hanging from the bridge are only seen from a distance on the TV in Bruce's cell, and those scenes are actually pretty harsh for what they are.  I'm almost surprised that it's not an R-rated movie for how brutal it was.

Either way, it's good that you liked it... I have no idea how anyone didn't like it, as the review put up on CNN was by a complete moron who had odd expectations of it.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #231 on: July 23, 2012, 12:52:12 PM »
Ledger's performance is far and away the best acting in the seriers. It's not even close. But also, the actual cinematic portrayal of the Joker in certain scenes make for more powerful moments than anything they did with Bane. Not that I'm knocking Bane. But the intro scene setting up Joker simply better with the bank heist over the plane scene with Bane. And the scene where Joker kills the fake Batman on TV was just downright nerve racking. Heath and Nolan made you a little on edge and nervous every time Joker was on the screen by the end of the film.
They're just two different approaches, but I think Bane's scenes are just so brutal and more effective while showing that he is far less compassionate than Joker, who in most scenes gives people the chance to survive by killing each other, like when recruiting Gamble's men or when he threatened to blow up the hospital of that one Wayne Enterprises employee wasn't killed or when the two boats had triggers to blow up the other boat (though I realize he was going to do it himself, but only after neither boat triggered the explosion).  On the flipside, Bane (and his men) are the ones to inflict pain and suffering and just do it without the other people having a shot at survival.

Nolan had to really tone down a lot of the violence, as a lot of what are really the most disturbing parts aren't even really seen, such as the scene where Bane breaks Dr. Pavel's neck or when he kills Daggett, though you can hear him screaming in the background.  And even the three bodies of the U.S. Special Forces hanging from the bridge are only seen from a distance on the TV in Bruce's cell, and those scenes are actually pretty harsh for what they are.  I'm almost surprised that it's not an R-rated movie for how brutal it was.

Either way, it's good that you liked it... I have no idea how anyone didn't like it, as the review put up on CNN was by a complete moron who had odd expectations of it.

CNN had 2 reviews, one positive and one negative. The negative one put politics into it and once you put liberal politics in a superhero movie, you show yourself as a moron.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #232 on: July 23, 2012, 03:39:08 PM »
I read that the box office numbers were at around $160 million, making it the third-biggest opening weekend (behind The Avengers and one of the Harry Potter movies).  I wonder how much better it would've done if it weren't for the shootings... I don't doubt that it prevented some people (especially with children) from going.  But I think this movie has a tad more replay value than the others, so perhaps the numbers will stay strong (and maybe even continue to pick up) since people will want to watch it more than once, while some of the people who were scared away by the shootings will obviously still watch it again, especially with the good reviews.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #233 on: July 23, 2012, 08:43:23 PM »
I read that the box office numbers were at around $160 million, making it the third-biggest opening weekend (behind The Avengers and one of the Harry Potter movies).  I wonder how much better it would've done if it weren't for the shootings... I don't doubt that it prevented some people (especially with children) from going.  But I think this movie has a tad more replay value than the others, so perhaps the numbers will stay strong (and maybe even continue to pick up) since people will want to watch it more than once, while some of the people who were scared away by the shootings will obviously still watch it again, especially with the good reviews.

I know people who didn't go Friday or Saturday due to the shootings... I didn't start getting friend reviews on Facebook until Sunday. It had a bigger midnight showing than the Avengers then it feel hard. So I think the shooting hurt this movie's box office greatly.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #234 on: July 23, 2012, 11:22:37 PM »
Nolan is doing Superman coming out next Summer. Should be interesting. Nolan doesn't miss.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #235 on: July 24, 2012, 06:02:29 AM »
Reports came out during the Dark Knight shooting that Nolan had originally set up the story for Two Face to be the main villain in part 3, but changed the script so that Joker could continue in part 3 and basically Two-Face was an after though. Harvey Dent was so important to the series that I felt Two-Faces death at the end of the movie was wasted. But that's only after 4 years of watching my Dark Knight Blu Ray that I can actually point out it's flaws. But there was word coming off the set that Nolan was so much in love with Joker that he wanted him in part 3, and he was proud he didn't kill Joker. Sadly, we all saw what happened to Heath Ledger and Nolan said his done with the Joker after that. But even the dialog in Dark Knight pointed to an endless battle between Joker and Batman.

Fast forward to Dark Knight Rises, I have not seen it yet, but if Shallow says it's good then I'll go with it. I think the Dark Knight's pacing was intentionally jerky. Ledgers performance as Joker dominated the movie and the movie seemed to be at the Joker's pacing. It was almost like the movie was made so you felt like you are in either Batman's mind trying to defeat the Joker, or you were in Joker's mind. Either way, it seemed the pacing was meant to be jerky and uneven to give the feel of unpredictability the first time you want it. After a few watching the low parts get really low and the high parts are really intense. With Bane being a very smart and calculating villain, I can imagine that the pacing would be more even. Bane in the comics is a very even character, sometimes too cocky and always dangerous and intelligent.

As I said, I can't wait to see this, it's the first time I have ever NOT seen Batman on opening days since Batman Returns. This is also the first time a Batman movie came out since I had been married and my wife really wants me to wait until my birthday, but this is very very hard.

The main flaw in the pacing for mew wasn't during the Joker/Batman stuff, it was the 45 minute Two-Face movie that came after Joker was defeated. It really dragged out the film.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #236 on: July 24, 2012, 08:09:16 AM »
Nolan is doing Superman coming out next Summer. Should be interesting. Nolan doesn't miss.
Just to clarify, he is producing the movie but not directing it.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #237 on: July 24, 2012, 12:34:26 PM »

The main flaw in the pacing for mew wasn't during the Joker/Batman stuff, it was the 45 minute Two-Face movie that came after Joker was defeated. It really dragged out the film.

I kind of agree, but overall I didn't have an issue with it. Nolan fell into the same trap as Rami fell into, and that's putting too much into a movie because of the change in direction mid-shooting. Nolan wanted Joker to be the star in part 2, after scripting Two-Face for part 3. I remember being annoyed that Joker was to create Two-Face in the court scene in part 3, but instead Nolan wanted more Joker and so he had to wrap up the Dent storyline. You can't predict your star will die like Ledger did, but looking back I'd still have Dent not turn into Two Face until part 3. That will be Nolan's biggest flaw in the series. I will say though, after watching Spiderman 3 the year prior, Nolan's error was not nearly as bad as Rami's, Spiderman 3 was just horrible.

O.G A.Geesta'z

« Reply #238 on: July 24, 2012, 05:50:37 PM »
so there is not gonna be a part 4 at all right?
The West is Back

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #239 on: July 24, 2012, 05:50:57 PM »
so there is not gonna be a part 4 at all right?

not after  that shooting