Author Topic: Nate Dogg - G Funk Classics re-release  (Read 1627 times)

Damú

• 'G'
  • What A Breakfast!!!
Re: Nate Dogg - G Funk Classics re-release
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 10:00:41 AM »
The album splitted into two jewel cases, red and blue cd cover, no remastered sound, 15 pages booklet with the lyrics, only a single picture of Nate Dogg. Nice reissue nonetheless.
you don't need to have it remastered though, the original sounds good.

im sure matty can confirm this

Yep that's right, the original sounds great. I was wondering wassup with this reissue because i'm a fan and a collector too but nobody answered my question before, so i'm jump the bandwagon and ordered it from Best Buy.com. I already own the original double album. This reissue is on the Thump records website by the way. http://www.thumprecords.com/ I was not aware of the situacion mentioned by Daz at his thread. I'm sorry. :(

Damú

• 'G'
  • What A Breakfast!!!
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 10:08:59 AM »
This album has always been a mystery to me. I wanted to buy it off cdnow back in the day but they sold out. Next time I found it it was on amazon for like $56 - no thank you

Then I read about the album originally being 2 seperate albums recorded for Death Row released as a double disc. Can someone explain?

As far as i know, the disc one, Ghetto Preacher, was recorded for Death Row Records, Nate stole the masters when he left Death Row and release his album under the name "G Funk Classics Vol. 1 & 2", being the volume 2, also known as The Prodigal Son, the "new album" and the Vol. 1 contains his older material.

bouli77

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2011, 10:26:38 AM »
This album has always been a mystery to me. I wanted to buy it off cdnow back in the day but they sold out. Next time I found it it was on amazon for like $56 - no thank you

Then I read about the album originally being 2 seperate albums recorded for Death Row released as a double disc. Can someone explain?

1. G-Funk Classics Vol. 1 was released in 97 in Canada under Death Row Records, and quickly taken off the shelves afterward, not sure though. I own the copy, you can easily find it on the internet.

2. After Nate sued Death Row and won in court, he put out G-Funk Classics Vol. 1&2 in August 98 (not sure) under his own imprint, Dogg Foundation Records, distributed by Breakaway Entertainment after Big C Style secured him a deal with them. It featured G-Funk Classics Vol. 1 (with minor changes in the song titles) and G-Funk Classics Vol. 2 AKA Prodigal Son. I think it both contained Death Row and non-Death Row material, but it may be very well all be death row material as all the features (Butch Cassidy, DPG, Big Syke, Warren G, Snoop) and the producers (Daz, Snoop, LT Hutton, Warren G, Soopafly) fit within the Death Row context.

3&4. Sometime between 98 and 2000 Prodigal Son and Ghetto preacher were released separately with a minor slip-up in the tracklists. Hardest Man In Town which was the first song of Ghetto Preacher in the previous releases became the 12th song of Prodigal Son. Therefore, the 12th song of Prodigal Son, nobody does it better became the 1st song of Ghetto Preacher.

I personally consider that only the Death Row release and the double-disc edition are worth owning.

It's a shame we didn't get more details on the production credits though, i always wanted to know who did what as far as instruments, drum programming etc. and I only got to learn through Quik's latest interview that These Days' beat was actually made by Teddy Riley and mixed by Quik and it only says produced by Nate, which ive always found strange considering the dopeness of the production. i was like Nate couldnt have produced that by himself.

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 01:15:48 PM »
Cool, this was a good album. Last I checked, Nate does own those albums so if tha money is going to him why not.

i heard its not, Daz posted on his Twitter that they were going to Sue Thump records for nates family

··: O.G Kody™ :··

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 02:12:26 PM »
I get the feeling the rights to this material has been passed around for the last 10 years or so. There are several variations of the two discs and i'm willing to guess that very little of the profits went to Nate Dogg.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 10:35:06 AM »
I get the feeling the rights to this material has been passed around for the last 10 years or so. There are several variations of the two discs and i'm willing to guess that very little of the profits went to Nate Dogg.
Yup. It's a similiar situation with King Tee's "Kingdom Come" album in that songs from both show up on a lot of these compilation albums from K-Town Records and other places.