Author Topic: Best hook singers ???  (Read 982 times)

bouli77

Best hook singers ???
« on: March 23, 2011, 12:46:06 PM »
We all know Nate Dogg was the original hook singer and created an avenue in hip hop that many would follow. In that respect he was a true pioneer, and the best to ever do it IMHO.

However, I do enjoy other singers/crooners who specialized in the rap game, who are your favorite, in addition to Nate ??

here is my top 5 (nate not included)

1. LV = true legend. a different type of voice from Nate Dogg's but a very deep one. same profile as Nate. singer part of a dope crew. contributed to one of the biggest rap singles of the 90's and has 2 slept on solo cd's under his belt (I Am LV is a true gem to me, How Long is fuckin' dope).

2. Bo Roc/Mo B. Dick (tie) love his voice and style. just wish he had a bigger catalogue though // Master P's relative. south legend right here, gangsta harmony is a personal classic to me. always loved his unkempt voice

3. Levitti = another cousin of E-40. dude is so underrated. did many dope hooks, for bay area artists only. he's been MIA for a while now.

4. Butch Cassidy = Nate's cousin. loved him ever since Scared of Love. was big in the early 00's, collaborated with a lot of big names. still active. really hoping for an album

5. Ephriam Galloway = dope, underrated hook singer from the bay. did choruses for E-40, 2pac, C-Bo, Master P, Lil Italy, etc. his performance on Lunasicc's Hard Times (single version) is one of my all time favorites

Other greats I love = Johnny P, Ronnie Spencer, Pimp C (im a big fan of his singing too), Jazze Pha
Honorable mention = Mississippi (Money by the tooon), O'Dell, T-Pain, Akon 

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

Re: Best hook singers ???
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 12:59:23 PM »
^
great list :)

damn, LV must b really, really old today..

(no order)
Bo Roc, Butch Cassidy, LeVitti, Billy Cook, Johnny P, LaToiya Williams, BJ Chicago Kid,
Uncle Charlie Wilson, Ron Isley,
Uncle Chucc, Uncle Reo, J Black, L.V., Bam Loc, Delano (what happnd to this guy?), Akon
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 01:02:13 PM by Michael Madsen »

unclsean

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 01:06:55 PM »
nate always came with it, but Quik fucked tha game up when he came through with El Debarge and James Debarge...that shit was out of left field and worked!
http://www.reallionnaire.blogspot.com

bouli77

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 01:19:26 PM »
^
great list :)

damn, LV must b really, really old today..

(no order)
Bo Roc, Butch Cassidy, LeVitti, Billy Cook, Johnny P, LaToiya Williams, BJ Chicago Kid,
Uncle Charlie Wilson, Ron Isley,
Uncle Chucc, Uncle Reo, J Black, L.V., Bam Loc, Delano (what happnd to this guy?), Akon

shit I forgot Billy Cook, love him. i was about to mention Uncle Reo, great voice too (esp. on I Got That Fire, Family Reunion and Gin & Juice). Charlie Wilson and Ron Isley of course.

I'll add Gerald Levert (R.I.P.), loved his performance on Sir Jinx's album. he should have done more rap hooks, he'd have been great at it. Ray J is cool too, i liked him on that song with Nate and Snoop and Lil Flip (i think). J. Valentine is aight.

concerning LV's age... I don't know... but he's one of the older cat from the SCC, so he must be around Dre's age I think

edit : wikipedia says he was born in 1957, so he's actually way older than Dre is. even older than Ice-T... damn
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 01:23:48 PM by bouli77 »

Mista Rosa

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 01:24:01 PM »
nate always came with it, but Quik fucked tha game up when he came through with El Debarge and James Debarge...that shit was out of left field and worked!
http://www.reallionnaire.blogspot.com

Yeah El Debarge was tight on Quik's projects! I copped his last album "second chance", a good record. I loved how he came up on Warren G's song "Keepin it Strong" even if lyrics are re-used. I need to check some of the guys you mentionned. But i remember looking for Levitti songs back in the days and didn't find much.

Somebody should make a compilation with songs of every artists you mentioned. That would be dope.
"There's one more thing I'd really like for you to do, never leave me alone..."

bouli77

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 01:30:14 PM »
here are a few dope levitti cameos

Okka

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 01:30:43 PM »
Butch Cassidy

Always loved his voice ever since i heard him on "Lay Low" and i always wanted to hear an album from him. "Back B4 You're Lonely" was cool and all that, but i really wanna hear a solo album from him. If he don't wanna release a new album, he should release some old material from the Dogg House days. If i remember right, he was supposed to release an album on Dogg House.

Mista Rosa

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 01:36:59 PM »
Butch Cassidy

Always loved his voice ever since i heard him on "Lay Low" and i always wanted to hear an album from him. "Back B4 You're Lonely" was cool and all that, but i really wanna hear a solo album from him. If he don't wanna release a new album, he should release some old material from the Dogg House days. If i remember right, he was supposed to release an album on Dogg House.

People have been waiting for him to release an album for 10 years. I remember looking for Danny "Butch" Means music on the net, as he appeared on G Funk Classics, before Snoop nicknamed him Butch Cassidy.

I found a Levitti compil on some blog:

01 Levitti - Intro 18
02 Soak Game (Ft. Game Related)
03 It's Time 2 Mobb (Ft. Funk Mobb)
05 Hot Sunny Day (Ft. Celly Cel)
06 California Dreams (Ft. The Zocs)
07 Mama Used To Tell Me (Ft. The Mossie)
08 Buzzin' (Ft. Latino Velvet)
09 Animosity (Ft. Cool-E)
10 Destiny (Ft. B-legit)
10 Smoke 'N' Drank (Ft. E-40)
11 See Yourself Through (Ft. The Zocs)
12 Bread (Ft. San Quinn)
13 Funk 4 Life (Ft. Celly Cel)
14 Death Iz Callin (Ft. 918)

http://rapidshare.com/files/381920353/Levitti_-_Participations__CD1_.rar

bouli77

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 01:43:32 PM »
yeah that's a fan made compilation which actually features some of the songs i've posted in my previous post. a good way to start i'd say.

Okka, I think Butch was supposed to come out under Dogg House, but you know how Snoop handled his label... wasn't able to develop properly an artist (except for tha eastsidaz and the doggystyle all stars). he was on fire on the first eastsidaz album, after that he was on songs with Jadakiss, Mystikal, G-Unit... it's too bad an album never materialized at that time. i think his time passed already.

Fonkarround

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • https://soundcloud.com/fonkarround
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 01:57:30 PM »
What about Kokane? Guy's really dope on every hook. Close to Nate IMO!

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 02:12:07 PM »
na,
Kokane can't sing.

no hate tho, i still preciate him as an artist at times, but dude sure as hell cant sing..
hes a Bootsy Collins and George Clinton-impersonator
but really liked his Ruthless Records-rapping, and he did some funky stuff wit Snoop back in the early 00's..

Ronny

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 02:13:51 PM »
matt blaque from da bay and butch cassidy from daygo

ICHI THE KILLER

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 02:29:07 PM »
i would add BOY BIG dude cant laced awesome hook and cant sing too and other underrated cat DV ALIAS KHRYST

Mista Rosa

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 02:31:23 PM »
Oh and OG Daddy V too!

Funkstradamus

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 02:54:26 PM »
Kokane, Butch Cassidy, Uncle Chucc & Bokie Loc....Tone Treazure  & Marsha Ambrosious too... DJ Rogers...and any Battlecat talkbox....