Author Topic: Pac & Dre  (Read 3040 times)

V2DHeart

Re: Pac & Dre
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2011, 02:25:54 AM »
Why would Dr Dre show up at court, when instructed by Interscope to stay clear of the entire case? Interscope would have ensured Dr Dre that their money would guarantee Snoops victory at court, and it did, without Dr Dre's testimony!

Interscope's plan should have be obvious to most. They were wanting Dr Dre to themselves without Death Row since the near beginning. Beginning being after the success of Chronic & Doggystyle. Death Row struggled to get Interscope to distribute Snoop's 2nd album, and the Makaveli album, and were literally getting the cold shoulder from them once they got Dre

Who was it who gave Dr Dre his share of Death Row when he left? It wasn't Death Row
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2011, 07:15:58 AM »
Death Row struggled to get Interscope to distribute Snoop's 2nd album, and the Makaveli album, and were literally getting the cold shoulder from them once they got Dre

No they weren't "literally" getting the cold shoulder. Because literally would mean chopping my shoulder off, freezing it and giving it to you. You mean figuratively.

Grammar police strikes again.

PhunkyDoob

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2011, 08:37:13 AM »
Why would Dr Dre show up at court, when instructed by Interscope to stay clear of the entire case? Interscope would have ensured Dr Dre that their money would guarantee Snoops victory at court, and it did, without Dr Dre's testimony!

Interscope's plan should have be obvious to most. They were wanting Dr Dre to themselves without Death Row since the near beginning. Beginning being after the success of Chronic & Doggystyle. Death Row struggled to get Interscope to distribute Snoop's 2nd album, and the Makaveli album, and were literally getting the cold shoulder from them once they got Dre

Who was it who gave Dr Dre his share of Death Row when he left? It wasn't Death Row

Makaveli was distributed by Priority right? But wasn't/isn't Priority owned by Interscope?

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2011, 08:50:20 AM »

how can you be so sure that death row didn't pay him for his part of death row? were you there during the negotiations?

Mietek23

« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2011, 09:42:02 AM »

Makaveli was distributed by Priority right? But wasn't/isn't Priority owned by Interscope?

It was supposed to be distributed thru Priority but it ended up being released with Interscope..

love33

« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2011, 02:05:22 PM »
Suge said in an interview that Jimmy came to him on behalf of Interscope wanted him to "soften" his artists lyrics and he wasn't having it so he left and went to Priority.  Think about this: after B.I.G. got dropped in L.A. the gangsta music was pretty much phased off the radio everywhere except the L.A. area where it was so strong they couldnt do anything -- and it turned into Puffy and Mase dancing in space suits, Will Smith gettin jiggy, Cash Money Bling Bling, Jay-Z "Money Aint A Thang" and "Can I Get A," and Black Rob sayin 'Whoa.'  Overall, there was def an effort by the radio/Interscope/mtv and other labels to turn away from the gangsta music.  Dre even did 'positive' music "Been There Done That" (also think about Slim Shady's first album how corny that "My Name Is.." single it was way softer than Death Row's music or even his second album Marshall Mathers) and it wasn't successful so they went back to the harder rap in 2000 but just not as 'gangsta.'

I mean just look at Jay-Z, nobody was lookin for him when his first two albums dropped and now all of a sudden all the radio outlets were pushin him hard, cause they wanted to turn away from gangsta music and particularly the west coast way.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2011, 02:07:44 PM »
Suge said in an interview that Jimmy came to him on behalf of Interscope wanted him to "soften" his artists lyrics and he wasn't having it so he left and went to Priority.  Think about this: after B.I.G. got dropped in L.A. the gangsta music was pretty much phased off the radio everywhere except the L.A. area where it was so strong they couldnt do anything -- and it turned into Puffy and Mase dancing in space suits, Will Smith gettin jiggy, Cash Money Bling Bling, Jay-Z "Money Aint A Thang" and "Can I Get A," and Black Rob sayin 'Whoa.'  Overall, there was def an effort by the radio/Interscope/mtv and other labels to turn away from the gangsta music.  Dre even did 'positive' music "Been There Done That" (also think about Slim Shady's first album how corny that "My Name Is.." single it was way softer than Death Row's music or even his second album Marshall Mathers) and it wasn't successful so they went back to the harder rap in 2000 but just not as 'gangsta.'

I mean just look at Jay-Z, nobody was lookin for him when his first two albums dropped and now all of a sudden all the radio outlets were pushin him hard, cause they wanted to turn away from gangsta music and particularly the west coast way.
bullshit, interscope ditched death row

Jimmy H.

« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2011, 11:07:56 PM »
Priority was actually the distributor for a lot of Interscope's Death Row releases. Interscope dumped Death Row because Suge was in prison, Dre and Snoop were both gone, and Interscope already had the contractual rights to Pac's catalog. Suge himself had said at his arraignment that he agreed with C. Delores Tucker than any future Death Row releases would not include the "N" word but he must have changed his mind shortly after. There was no effort by radio, MTV, and Interscope to end gangsta rap. They were all profiting off of it. If they phased it out, it was because the public was losing interest. If they didn't make a calculated effort to kill it back in 1991-92 in the wake of the L.A. riots, they weren't gonna do it in 1997 because a couple rappers got killed. 

love33

« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
Priority was actually the distributor for a lot of Interscope's Death Row releases. Interscope dumped Death Row because Suge was in prison, Dre and Snoop were both gone, and Interscope already had the contractual rights to Pac's catalog. Suge himself had said at his arraignment that he agreed with C. Delores Tucker than any future Death Row releases would not include the "N" word but he must have changed his mind shortly after. There was no effort by radio, MTV, and Interscope to end gangsta rap. They were all profiting off of it. If they phased it out, it was because the public was losing interest. If they didn't make a calculated effort to kill it back in 1991-92 in the wake of the L.A. riots, they weren't gonna do it in 1997 because a couple rappers got killed. 

But they weren't just your average "couple rappers," they happened to be the biggest (Tupac) and a top 5 (Notorious B.I.G.).  The media took the biggest blame for the East/West beef and they were indirectly taking blame for the two biggest artists on their relative coasts, Tupac and Notorious B.I.G., being gone.  They used to do specials in magazines with East vs. West comparisons and havin artists talk about the style of their coast vs. the other coast.  They used to air specials on tv and people used to talk about it.  West at the time was outselling the East 2 to 1 units.  All of a sudden, they don't talk about it anymore.  How could they have a topic/stage where everyone is writing/speaking about East vs. West then all of a sudden nobody talks about it anymore?

Jimmy H.

« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2011, 11:40:19 AM »
But you can't just manipulate the buying public overnight like that. If something is hot, it's hot. Gangsta rap had basically peaked. That business about the West outselling the East nearly twice over sounds a little suspect. Who besides Pac and Death Row was selling like that? Where's the numbers on this one?

PhunkyDoob

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2011, 12:20:32 PM »
But you can't just manipulate the buying public overnight like that. If something is hot, it's hot. Gangsta rap had basically peaked. That business about the West outselling the East nearly twice over sounds a little suspect. Who besides Pac and Death Row was selling like that? Where's the numbers on this one?

It's true, you can check the facts if you want.

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2011, 01:09:08 PM »

how interscope wanted to soften the lyrics..when they had marilyn manson, the firm, snoop and a couple of more

jay had radio friendly singles n jay most of new york djs behind em...new york music scene is waaaaaaaaaaay different than anywhere else..only music scene is similiar is the south...

new york got kay slay n flex

south got mean green n greg street....

durin that era... we didnt hear no eminem, jay z, will smith unless it was summer time...our stations didnt play that jiggy shit

rarely heard mase... but we didnt have black rob whoa.. kuz a couple months..

.big moe flipped whoa!! to mannn...then we stop hearin whoa..and man was our anthem

death row fell off... no limit came in the game...put southern gangta music out...and that shit had the rap game for like 4-5yrs ... cashmoney took it n continued .

priority picked up the ball once interscope fell off.. with master p and his tank...p fell off.. interscope grab the ball again...reinvented themselves..durin ps helm...

V2DHeart

« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2011, 01:22:38 PM »
Death Row over Bad Boy perhaps, but East as a whole were still selling really high. What about Def Jam's East Coast talent? Jay Z, Wu-Tang, Nas, and the Bad Boy staff Biggie, Mase etc. Then you had Ruff Ryders/DMX, Fugees/Lauren Hill, and other artists creeping up like Missy Elliot, Redman and so on

Even in the early 90's, the East was still churning out hot product
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

Escrooge

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2011, 03:08:40 PM »
Jimmy has the last word in everything involving Aftermath & Dre. Ain't that a bitch?

That's called having a job. With a boss.

You would think the biggest producer in hip hop since the 90s would be his own boss by now. Dre seems to always need someone telling him what to do.

truest statement I've heard In a long time....I been thinking the same thing....the man can't even probably put on Detox the artists he would want I bet either!!!
Everybody is wondering what Barack is going to do for us for the next 8 years, what are you going to do for yourself the next 8 years?

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2011, 03:14:42 PM »
Jimmy has the last word in everything involving Aftermath & Dre. Ain't that a bitch?

That's called having a job. With a boss.

You would think the biggest producer in hip hop since the 90s would be his own boss by now. Dre seems to always need someone telling him what to do.

truest statement I've heard In a long time....I been thinking the same thing....the man can't even probably put on Detox the artists he would want I bet either!!!

he cant... especially if they on another major...its better to have ya own roster 4 shit like this..u aint gotta go thru all the legal shit to get cleared...

ex big boi not havin at least one andre3000 verse on his album...

its politics