Author Topic: Does Anyone Still Read The Source?  (Read 675 times)

Tekanomics

• Lil Geezy
Re: Does Anyone Still Read The Source?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 04:31:29 PM »
Source Magazine -> Dead

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 05:32:52 PM »
Nope.

I got all the issues from late 1994 till early 2007 but that's when I stopped buying it (same goes for XXL). The worst was when Benzino started to use The Source as a means  to go off on Eminem, Aftermath etc, even though I was a huge Murder Inc fan back then and I never cared much for Dre/Aftermath and I hated Eminem shit was getting ridiculous.

~Loyalty Is Everything~

Eddz

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
The Source layout is all over the place & the people they give covers to nowadays is crazy. How can Travis Barker get a cover when E-40 aint never been on a cover?

Bun B getting 5 mics was a joke too.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 09:38:51 PM »

Thanks mate. The Source truly was "The Bible of Hip Hop" in it's golden era. I keep hoping they will come make to their glory days but I doubt it. They got a new editor but I doubt he'll turn it around.

I still got every issue since Jan 2000. The misses wants me to get rid of them before we move into our new house. If you are interested in any copies let me know.

I'm going to PM you
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 09:41:49 PM »
Nope.

I got all the issues from late 1994 till early 2007 but that's when I stopped buying it (same goes for XXL). The worst was when Benzino started to use The Source as a means  to go off on Eminem, Aftermath etc, even though I was a huge Murder Inc fan back then and I never cared much for Dre/Aftermath and I hated Eminem shit was getting ridiculous.

U interested in selling any of your issues?

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 06:45:10 PM »
Nope.

Nah I'm keeping everything... I still like to read some of the 90s issues every once in a while, reminds me of the good old days.

~Loyalty Is Everything~

Tha_Tactican

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 10:32:45 AM »
Used to collect the mags back when i was in elementary all the way up to the 8th grade. Since then i would look at the pages in the magazine section in stores from time to time but never did bother to buy any newer issues again.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 02:46:55 PM »
I got a subscription to xxl, it was cheap as fuck off their website. the source is just bullshit now though

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 08:02:51 PM »
Nope.

Nah I'm keeping everything... I still like to read some of the 90s issues every once in a while, reminds me of the good old days.

I feel ya

Leggy Hendrix

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2011, 06:45:43 AM »
havent bought The Source for a long time, i get all my news on hip hop from the internet these days, the magazines that are out nowadays are pretty redundant imo

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

Jimmy H.

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2011, 11:47:51 AM »
Both The Source and XXL are kind of boring, these days. Source used to be the magazine to buy for me awhile. While the 50-Em-Dre cover is generally seen as when XXL starting to come into its own, I actually think the Shyne interview and that first Pac tribute where when I started paying attention. Source lost their credibility when they became a mouthpiece for Benzino.

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 04:07:24 PM »
I still check it out from time to time, but I have pretty much lost my faith in The Source.  The same for XXL.  Man, I remember getting The Source from 93-98 and LOVED those issues.....now it's just boring and full of rappers I really don't care to read about.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 09:33:44 PM »
Hell no, haven't purchased one since prolly 2001-2002.  It's crazy because back in the day, when the source said something, you knew it was legit.  They were critical as hell, and east coast biased, but for the most part they knew what they were talking about.  Yes, in hindsight they missed some ratings that should have been 5 mics (Both Chronic albums for starters), but it was ALWAYS worth checking because you could hear about music you never heard and it was almost always dope.

Then when Benzino started fuckin around and gave Almighty RSO like 4.5 mics, then started beefing with Eminem, it really started to go down hill.  It actually started before that, but that was when it really lost a lot of cred.  I never gave a shit about it since.

XXL also used to be pretty good, but then they got paid by Interscope to suck all of their artists cock and it become a joke too.

These magazines care way more about style, image, and advertising than about anything hip hop.  I look forward to the day they are out of business.  Which I bet will be pretty soon.

niggalas cage

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 07:44:52 AM »
I still check it out from time to time, but I have pretty much lost my faith in The Source.  The same for XXL.  Man, I remember getting The Source from 93-98 and LOVED those issues.....now it's just boring and full of rappers I really don't care to read about.

Same. I found myself less and less interested in these mags over the years, just as i have been with hip-hop in general. Just full of niggas i have no interest in. If I see a feature on somebody I came up listening to I'll check it out, but I'm not caring about none of these cats featured the past 5 years. Last Source mag I bought, can't even remember. Last XXL was the Pac tribute in '06. Props for dude that mentioned Blaze too, that was hot in the late 90's. Vibe ran that i believe. Complex is a good magazine. Despite the abundance of wackness in rap they have articles that keep me checking for them

MUHFUKKA

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 11:19:09 AM »
i just want da sauce

The blood gang embraces Tupac as a member even if YOU dont.