Author Topic: United mother fucking states  (Read 1489 times)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: United mother fucking states
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 09:57:42 AM »
^To just play until it's over.

K-MACC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 11:50:05 AM »
lol go watch ur nfl and baseball honky

bouli77

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2011, 01:18:05 PM »

i don't think it's doable, scoring in soccer isn't as easy as in say basketball and when two teams are exhausted and drawing, they generally nullify each other. plus soccer is exacting and 120 minutes is very long... you have players regularly having heart attacks on the pitch so to have them playing more than 120 minutes seems unfathomable

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2011, 01:31:57 PM »

i don't think it's doable, scoring in soccer isn't as easy as in say basketball and when two teams are exhausted and drawing, they generally nullify each other. plus soccer is exacting and 120 minutes is very long... you have players regularly having heart attacks on the pitch so to have them playing more than 120 minutes seems unfathomable

There are substitutes for a reason right?

The NBA doesn't have a free throw contest.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2011, 02:39:51 PM »

If you increase the number of subs or make it similar to the NBA, then it would really ruin the regular time flow of the game.  If you only allow extra subs in extra time, then you'll have games decided on the players that weren't involved at all throughout the game and in most cases tournament.  And penalty kicks do not equal free throws. 

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2011, 05:00:58 PM »

kemizt

theremedy360

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2011, 05:22:09 PM »
I'm a classic soccer hater but I started appreciating/ becoming a fairly big fan in the last couple years mainly because of the arrival of the Sounders and the immediate success they've had here. Still though, I think it's pretty ridiculous for the World Cup to be decided by penalty kicks.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2011, 05:41:28 PM »

If you increase the number of subs or make it similar to the NBA, then it would really ruin the regular time flow of the game.  If you only allow extra subs in extra time, then you'll have games decided on the players that weren't involved at all throughout the game and in most cases tournament.  And penalty kicks do not equal free throws. 

What do you mean? Change regularly throughout the game. If you need to sit Lionel Messi for 20 minutes or so then so be it if you want him in there to win the game.

But this is meaningless, the whole point is that it's still pure luck.

No Compute

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2011, 05:49:41 PM »
You talk an unbelievable amount of shit.

when it rains it pours

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2011, 06:21:22 PM »
Im not a big soccer guy. I rarely watch it, but the US chicks were doing pretty good and there hot. from what i seen in the few games i watched the US penalty shots against brazil and japan the goalies were taking guesses and doing random dives to one side or the other.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2011, 07:26:45 PM »

What do you mean? Change regularly throughout the game. If you need to sit Lionel Messi for 20 minutes or so then so be it if you want him in there to win the game.

Not a good idea because that will change the dynamic of the sport itself so much that it would basically mean to change formation and tactics completely due to an unnecessary rule change. 

It's not pure luck, if better goalkeepers have a higher save rate in penalties than others.  The luck that is involved is literally the same luck involved in every sport.  Bloop singles in baseball, missed free throws by high percentage shooters in basketball, deflections that lead to completions in the NFL, etc.  At the end of the day though, a skillful keeper can sway the percentages his way. 

This has only become an outrage because american sportswriters who don't really follow soccer, watched the U.S. Women's World Cup final and somehow started believing that it's pure luck.  This is absolutely not true. 

Furor Teutonicus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aka Dr. Jan Itor
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2011, 11:25:36 PM »

You can keep your American habits for your wack sports, no need to ruin it so Yanks enjoy the sport. Next thing would be silly cheerleaders and  quarters so you can pack more commercials in.
The only thing football should borrow from US sports is a salary cup.

OG Jaydc

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Fuck your opinion.
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2011, 11:55:42 PM »
Penalty kicks are ridiculous and stupid. I can understand them for regular season and exhibition games but world cups and such is just dumb. Your determining the outcome of a game based on not playing the game. Your basically stopping the actual game to play a mini game. That makes zero sense. Like Cham said that's like NBA having a free throw contest or baseball having a homerun derby to determine the winner. Hockey has shootouts but only after an overtime period and only during the regular season, not during the Stanley cup. If the Stanley cup was determined on a shootout contest people would be outraged. And these games can go on forever, I've watched games well into quadruple overtime before someone scored. And hockey is one of the most physically exhausting sports you can play.A lot more physical then soccer, plus it's got all the cardio of soccer.

People defending this are just blindly loving thier sport and can't admit any fault in it. I won't speak on the rest of the sport but this act itself which is just dumb. To determine your winner of a sport while not even playing the sport is just wrong and undermines the sport itself.

You can take amatuer players and they could win a game against pros based on penalty kicks, but Put them in a real game and they would be exposed as amateurs

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2011, 12:05:37 AM »

People defending this are just blindly loving thier sport and can't admit any fault in it. To determine your winner of a sport while not even playing the sport is just wrong and undermines the sport itself.

You can take amatuer players and they could win a game against pros based on penalty kicks, but Put them in a real game and they would be exposed as amateurs

Thank you. End thread.

We're talking about the World Cup. Like I said, something most of you consider the greatest sports achievement possible & it can end on something that has no relation to the game that was played for 120 minutes whatsoever.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2011, 08:32:16 AM »
NHL rotates their players throughout the game, it's much more reasonable for them to survive a really long game.  That's not the case in soccer, where you only have 3 subs.  If you want teams to go past 120 minutes, then the winner will be decided on whichever team happens to be healthier.  If you guys have seen a good amount of extra time games, you guys would notice that fatigue is very visible already by the first half of extra time and even more by the 2nd half of extra time.  30 minutes of extra time is already asking a lot of players, making this longer will not be right.  This isn't blind love, this is logic.  And why would clubs who pay the big money for most of these players allow the rules to be changed, just so that they can see their investment risk injury even more with unlimited extra time? Not reasonable at all.