Author Topic: Kendrick Lamar - The Recipe (Feat. Dr. Dre) (Produced By Scoop Deville)  (Read 9823 times)

Okka

Re: Kendrick Lamar - The Recipe (Feat. Dr. Dre) (Produced By Scoop Deville)
« Reply #210 on: April 03, 2012, 04:09:53 PM »
Nah, he sounds too much like Kendrick.

Kendrick wrote Dre's verse and probably laid down a reference vocal of Dre's part for guidance on how to deliver it.  He is trying to sound like Kendrick.  I wish he would cut it out.  Personally, I want to hear D.O.C. write for Dre, but I know that ain't happening anymore, so...

Kendrick raps Dre's part and then Dre learns it and re-records it. That's how it goes. It's always been like that with Dr. Dre, he isn't an MC.

Tha Crip

« Reply #211 on: April 03, 2012, 04:24:44 PM »
THIS TRACK IS BANGIN'!!!!!!!!!!!!!  8)
"I F**k Wit Feds Magazine"

The Predator

« Reply #212 on: April 03, 2012, 04:41:36 PM »
Not that Kendrick was smoking on the mic', but the song was better off as a Kendrick solo.

Dre's unmemorable ghost-written raps sounding choke-forced again.

Cant fault Scoop Deville's work on this.

Blood$

« Reply #213 on: April 03, 2012, 04:48:43 PM »
I haven't even read one post in this entire thread, all I know is this song is dope 8)

I'll smoke and ride to this

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #214 on: April 03, 2012, 05:33:30 PM »
And Dre sounds great. Best in years. And the direction of his verse is also on point, with Slim writing it was to g'd up for a 50 year old

True

with Em it was just childish.

Thank you!! My God, I don't see how people don't see that, everything he writes for Dre is trash or blan attempts at making Dre sound too old school (6'4 impalas, chronic, L.A., blah blah blah). Em just about ruined the final version of "Shit Popped Off" with that wack ass "im about to do somethin tragical / this bologna is so thelonious" trash
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

HighEyeCue

« Reply #215 on: April 03, 2012, 05:56:12 PM »
And Dre sounds great. Best in years. And the direction of his verse is also on point, with Slim writing it was to g'd up for a 50 year old

True

with Em it was just childish.

Thank you!! My God, I don't see how people don't see that, everything he writes for Dre is trash or blan attempts at making Dre sound too old school (6'4 impalas, chronic, L.A., blah blah blah). Em just about ruined the final version of "Shit Popped Off" with that wack ass "im about to do somethin tragical / this bologna is so thelonious" trash

I think most fans know that Em's writing has fallen off, whether its for Dre or himself

IMO there's nothing wrong with Dre's rapping on this track

Si-Chiggedy

« Reply #216 on: April 03, 2012, 05:56:43 PM »
No problem, everyone has his own perception and opinion. But since I already read a lotta comments (not only on this page) from people who dig the record and also for the fact this this particular line stuck in my head, I brought this point up. We will see how it's doing in the long run, but for now I'm happy with it and I guess the crowd will appreciate this track on Kendrick gigs.

But I don't think this track will bring new fans to Kendrick.  Look at me -- I'm not a Kendrick fan, and the best part of this song for me is the beat and the engineering.  Now, I think the point of this song was to expand Kendrick's audience outside the established hardcore Kendrick fans that he's already got in his back pocket no matter what, to the broader fans of Westcoast music such as myself.  They put Dre on this song because the #1 way to get broad Westcoast fan appeal is to feature Dre or Snoop.  They're probably hoping this song will get attention from general Westcoast rap listeners before they attempt to branch out further to broad rap fans in general.  But I don't think this song accomplishes this stepping stone goal, because imo I'm really only liking the production when I should be drawn into liking Kendrick through this song instead.  Case in point: next Kendrick song that doesn't have a Westcoast feature nor a prominent Westcoast producer, if this song right here worked, I would seek it out, but as of right now, I won't.  So basically this song failed to bring in me as a new listener of Kendrick's music.

Well, to be honest, I think when it comes to Dre and Snoop I wouldn't say people on this board are too happy about anything those guys have dropped in the last couple o' years. Mostly, when new shit of one of those two guys drops it's so much critique in the air. The last song most people on here really appreciated was "Kush" and that "Gangbang Rookie" cut from the last Snoop solo. The rest has been under so harsh criticism, I don't even wanna argue about. But still, big props to you, because you really try to keep a real discussion going and try to make a point but at the same time trying to actually think about the point other guys on here make.

@LyRiCaL_G: yes, that's how I feel about it for the most part as well. Well put.

@Spice 2: Am I not posting in the latest Knedrick related threads either? I mean you can go ahead an try to quote me, but I think I was attenting to most of the latest Kendrick related threads. If not, I gotta work on that ;)
Check out my blog "Love For The West" http://sichill-music.blogspot.com/

And hit me on twitter: http://twitter.com/Si_Chill

h2k4

« Reply #217 on: April 03, 2012, 07:02:01 PM »
Song is ok.  Wish Dre wasn't on it.  He brings nothing to this track but star power.  Makes it sound like a Dr. Dre song and not a K. Dot song.  But from a commercial stand point, it makes sense.  I would have rather seen Schoolboy Q flow over this with K. Dot. 

I can agree I'd rather have heard Q as as the feature. But you can't complain too much. Kendrick is still coming up, getting his name out there. There has to be a commercial side in order for him to have some decent success.

It's hard these days in Hip Hop to just show up with your own original sound & make it big without some sort of commercialized tool

I understand what they are doing with putting Dre on the track. As a fan of K. Dot though, I wish he would have done it w/o him.

friscoliving

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #218 on: April 03, 2012, 10:33:10 PM »
about 6 spins and shit is smooth, that sample is ridiculous.

Trizzle

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • #Section80

J-Dub562

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #220 on: April 04, 2012, 12:10:45 AM »
I was not overwhelmed by the song, but i was not completely disappointed either. I think they should have gone with something more energetic and that featured Kendrick more. This song is a  cool filler track on an album, but not a FIRST major single for an up and coming artist who was just signed by Dr. Dre. Hopefully, Dre lets Kendrick do his thing with the TDE in-house production team (Sounwave, Mixed By Ali, etc).

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #221 on: April 04, 2012, 03:12:06 AM »
This track is still getting a lot of burn. Track is definitely in Kendrick's lane which is dope, he does't make hype club music so I'm glad they haven't tried to bring him in that direction

dnjp4life

« Reply #222 on: April 04, 2012, 04:22:56 AM »
I think some of us are at risk of over-analysing here at the expense of liking this track for what it is. 
Granted, we are all music geeks to some degree by virtue of the fact that we are on a music forum discussing the ins and outs of west-coast rap, but still, when you have people debating the nature of Dr. Dre's word pronunciation or a certain part of the chorus I think it can get a bit too much and detract from the fact that this is a bumpable track, nothing more and nothing less.
I realise that this happens mostly when Dr. Dre releases something new, and I am guilty of this myself sometimes, but it can take away from the enjoyment of the music.

JML-G

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #223 on: April 04, 2012, 06:03:09 AM »
didnt really feel this after first listen, but it has grown up on me in a major way

now they must shoot sunny video in Compton

hitsaw

« Reply #224 on: April 04, 2012, 08:02:20 AM »
Dope