Author Topic: (MLB) Philip Humber Throws Perfect Game  (Read 663 times)

MistaNova

(MLB) Philip Humber Throws Perfect Game
« on: April 21, 2012, 06:55:34 PM »
Flawless right-hander uses just 96 pitches to retire all 27 Mariners

SEATTLE -- There are good games, and there are great games. Then there are the perfect ones that stick with you for the rest of your life.

Philip Humber will never forget what he accomplished Saturday afternoon. What started with a harmless ground-ball out turned into another out, which turned into another, and another, and another. Twenty-seven outs later, Humber had the 4-0 win over the Mariners. More importantly, he had a perfect game, and his place in the record books.

"I'm thankful -- the team played awesome," said Humber, a look of half-disbelief spread across his face. "The first thing you want to do is get a win, and it was nice to have that last run there, have that four-run lead going into the ninth.

"[Catcher] A.J. [Pierzynski] did a great job, couple of great plays in outfield and just awesome. I don't even know what to say. I don't know what Phil Humber is doing in this list. No idea what my name is doing there, but thankful it's there."

It is the first perfect game or no-hitter in the Major Leagues this season, and the 21st of all-time. The last perfect game was thrown by Roy Halladay on May 29, 2010. The last no-hitter was July 27, 2011, by Ervin Santana.

Read the rest here: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_04_21_chamlb_seamlb_1&mode=recap_away&c_id=cws

Remedy360

Re: (MLB) Philip Humber Throws Perfect Game
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 07:26:50 PM »
Fuck that, most frustrating shit I've ever seen. Our stupid ass fans were cheering as if it was Felix on the hill about to get that perfect game, and to make things worse they were actually booing when Brendan Ryan almost got walked at the end of the game. Seahawks have great fans, but the Mariners fan base (what's left of it) is crap. Who the fuck roots for there team to not get any hits? Fucking pathetic.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 07:41:01 PM »
Anyone see a side view shot of that last swing?  Was close but don't know if he went.

rayallen0

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 09:39:10 PM »
So..nearest suicide booth?

Remedy360

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 12:13:04 AM »

Thank you! God I'm so tired of people talking about how it was history and any fan would applaud. That's your fucking team that got humiliated you idiots.

rayallen0

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 12:35:27 AM »
maybe i would give more credit if it was someone a great pitcher but this is just humiliating.

and it hurts even more when we have let hitters like Shin-Soo Choo & Adam Jones slip through our hands. instead of having those great players we get shutout every other game.

Remedy360

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 04:39:02 AM »
maybe i would give more credit if it was someone a great pitcher but this is just humiliating.

and it hurts even more when we have let hitters like Shin-Soo Choo & Adam Jones slip through our hands. instead of having those great players we get shutout every other game.

Let's not forget trading Asdrubel Cabrera for a guy who was working for ESPN by the end of that year. Or how about drafting Jeff Clement when Ryan Zimmerman, Ryan Braun, Andrew Mccutchen, Jay Bruce and Troy Tuliwitzki were available. Or, how about Brandon Morrow over Clayton Kershaw and Tim Lincecum. Bill Bevasi ran the Mariners worse than Wally Walker ran the Sonics. Anyways, Montero and Ackley have great upside and are going to be great unless something goes horribly wrong, plus you can't forget about Mike Carp who has been injured since Japan. Smoak is a question mark, top 10 prospect at one point but has never been able to put it together. Our team is at least going in the right direction in Jack Z's third year,  but that doesn't make it less frustrating.

Your favorite posters favorite poster

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 01:16:15 PM »
Another former Met pitches a no no.  What really sucks is I have Humber on my fantasy team but I wasn't starting him.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 02:26:25 PM »

Thank you! God I'm so tired of people talking about how it was history and any fan would applaud. That's your fucking team that got humiliated you idiots.

I disagree. There's nothing wrong with cheering for historic greatness. To be in the presence of something like that is much greater than seeing your team win one of 162 games. If this were game 7 of the WS that'd be another story. But if I were fan of baseball I'd rather say I saw a perfect game over I saw the Jays win yesterday. And if some shmuck hit a ball in the bottom of the 9th and we lost 3-0 anyway then I actually would have gotten upset, because I had to sit through a loss and that's it.

Now if my team was down by 7 in te bottom of the 9th and a perfect game was ended and then followed by an 8 run rally for the win, that I would definitely cheer for.

I cheer out for talent, not loyalty, and I gladly cheer against my team if they either don't do it the right way, or don't deserve to win. If I had a son who was a boxer who won the title by sneaking in a low blow when the ref wasn't looking I would be ashamed of him, and of myself

Remedy360

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 06:24:07 AM »

I disagree. There's nothing wrong with cheering for historic greatness. To be in the presence of something like that is much greater than seeing your team win one of 162 games. If this were game 7 of the WS that'd be another story. But if I were fan of baseball I'd rather say I saw a perfect game over I saw the Jays win yesterday. And if some shmuck hit a ball in the bottom of the 9th and we lost 3-0 anyway then I actually would have gotten upset, because I had to sit through a loss and that's it.

Now if my team was down by 7 in te bottom of the 9th and a perfect game was ended and then followed by an 8 run rally for the win, that I would definitely cheer for.

I cheer out for talent, not loyalty, and I gladly cheer against my team if they either don't do it the right way, or don't deserve to win. If I had a son who was a boxer who won the title by sneaking in a low blow when the ref wasn't looking I would be ashamed of him, and of myself

Well I guess that's a difference between us. I'm all about my teams. I'm not saying you can't give him a nice round of applause after the game, but people were on there feet cheering in the ninth inning, and were even booing when the ump called a ball with Brendan Ryan up, what the fuck is that? Seattle sports have been in the shitter for the better part of the decade, the last thing we need is fans cheering for some no name who humiliates us in our own ballpark.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 11:56:32 AM »

Well I guess that's a difference between us. I'm all about my teams. I'm not saying you can't give him a nice round of applause after the game, but people were on there feet cheering in the ninth inning, and were even booing when the ump called a ball with Brendan Ryan up, what the fuck is that? Seattle sports have been in the shitter for the better part of the decade, the last thing we need is fans cheering for some no name who humiliates us in our own ballpark.

Would you rather be at a perfect game Seattle loss, or at a 1 hit Seattle loss? I understand why people would boo. If the guy in the ninth gets a hit, then you just sat through a meaningless regular season game for nothing. If the perfect game meant elimination for my team then I'd hope for anything to happen for my team to win, but one loss in a baseball season means nothing. One perfect game means a lot.

On a side note, what's with all the perfect games coming out of nowhere. Are pitchers adn fielders getting better or are batters getting worse? We've had 4 now inside of three years. There was a time where a decade would go by without one.

Remedy360

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 01:00:29 AM »

Would you rather be at a perfect game Seattle loss, or at a 1 hit Seattle loss? I understand why people would boo. If the guy in the ninth gets a hit, then you just sat through a meaningless regular season game for nothing. If the perfect game meant elimination for my team then I'd hope for anything to happen for my team to win, but one loss in a baseball season means nothing. One perfect game means a lot.

On a side note, what's with all the perfect games coming out of nowhere. Are pitchers adn fielders getting better or are batters getting worse? We've had 4 now inside of three years. There was a time where a decade would go by without one.

I'll take the one hit loss any day. I don't ever want to see my team get humiliated and I could give a fuck about history if it's against my team. For the past two season the Mariners have had a couple of the worst offenses in major league history. I'm done with that shit. I don't want to see my team get humiliated ever. You're not alone in that opinion, but I say fuck history if it's against my team.

I think it has a lot to do with the new drug policy, dudes aren't raking the way they were in the last few decades and power numbers are down across the board. I guess at the same time you could make a case for the pitchers since perfect games were a rare feat even before those years as well.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 09:37:22 AM »

I'll take the one hit loss any day. I don't ever want to see my team get humiliated and I could give a fuck about history if it's against my team. For the past two season the Mariners have had a couple of the worst offenses in major league history. I'm done with that shit. I don't want to see my team get humiliated ever. You're not alone in that opinion, but I say fuck history if it's against my team.

I think it has a lot to do with the new drug policy, dudes aren't raking the way they were in the last few decades and power numbers are down across the board. I guess at the same time you could make a case for the pitchers since perfect games were a rare feat even before those years as well.

I just don't see a perfect game as a team being humiliated, unless you see them swinging at junk all day. If it's genuine greatness from the opposing pitcher I respect it. If it's just bad hitting from the offense then I understand.

Like I'll respect an opposing QB completing 35 of 35 for 400 yards and 5 TDs with no INTs if it's against decent coverage and pressure all game. But if my team is rushing 3 and still letting guys run wide open then I don't acknowledge the feat as greatness and wouldn't cheer for it. Same way if I saw my basketball team let up a 20 point lead with 1 and a half minutes to go. If it's sloppy D and giving away the ball that's one thing. That's being humiliated. But if it's a team anticipating the pass perfectly and getting the take away and let's say the same guy sinking 7 threes in a row while being covered, then I have to respect greatness.

A fluke is a fluke, but every so often an athlete gets in a zone where he simply cannot be stopped. I remember a hockey game I played in where I scored 5 goals in the last 10 minutes of the 3rd period. It hadn't happened before or since but everything around me slowed down and I knew what the opponent was going to do before he did. There was simply no way anyone was going to get the puck from me, or anyone going to get the puck past me. When I had the puck I knew which way to deke and which angle to shoot and when the other team had it I knew if they were going to try and deke past me or pass and if pass which way to pass. I intercepted three passes I had no business guessing right on and stopped every play that try to go through me. 5 shots and 5 goals.

The zone just happened after the first goal. It was a face off after the other team had just scored and I just knew the guy was going to dump it back if he won the face off but I also saw confusion behind the line and no one was playing the drop behind the center. So I let the guy win the face off and I just jumped past him and accelerated. The puck was dropped back and no one was there to get it but me. It was an easy break away goal. But something came over me and at that moment I knew the rest of the game was mine.

The other team wasn't playing poorly or giving it away, I was simply guessing right every time. It's something you can't defend against. Call it dumb luck or diving intervention, but there was nothing humiliating about it to me.

It was also during that game where I realized why star players so easily want the ball, or whatever, in clutch time. It's not about being brave or handling the pressure. It's that if you think you're the best then you think anyone else will fuck it up. I saw a game slipping away and I at that moment felt that no one on my team would be able to score and I refused to pass at times where I usually would. Those final ten minutes were my only moments of true greatness but at least I had a inkling of what it felt like. I honestly didn't even hear the coach telling me to sub off for shifts, ad no other player was going to tell me to get off the ice. When Jordan drives with ball in the final seconds and doesn't pass to the wide open man it's because he feels that wide open man doesn't have as good a shot wide open as MJ does in triple coverage. From a fans perspective if you saw a pitcher getting benched during a perfect game you'd think that sucks you're taking away his chance at history. But I guarantee the only thing the pitcher would be upset about is not being able to keep destroying the opponent.

It's a plain and simple superiority complex, and every so often a pitcher gets one and no batter can get a hit off him. And I always cheer for that.