Author Topic: Kobe is the greatest player to ever play in the NBA...  (Read 3224 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Kobe is the greatest player to ever play in the NBA...
« on: February 22, 2003, 03:15:32 PM »
Well, maybe (just maybe) not yet, but I guarantee that by the end of his career he will be the best player to ever play...He will never be recognized as the greatest, and the reason is because at the time Jordan came into the league, individual athlete mareketing just began...Jordan was just there at the right time...Kobe is only 24 and is already playing as good as Jordan in his prime...Jordan didn't develop a left hand 'till he was 27...Kobe came into the league straight from High School with a left hand...I've spoken with 2 college coaches about this subject and we all agreed...When Jordan was in the league, the NBA didn't have the talent it does today...They had Clyde Drexler, Dominique Wilkins, and Isiah Thomas. That's about it...There were no high flying players on every team like there are today...Today it's so much more competetive then it was in Jordan's time...Kobe is/will be the greatest player to ever play in the NBA, but because of the way the sports industry/marketing works, he will never be recognized as the greatest...Bottom line...PeACe

S.G.V.

Re:Kobe is the greatest player to ever play in the NBA...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2003, 04:22:32 PM »
Drexler...Ewing..Olajuwon...Malone...MAGIC...BIRD...Kareem...Barkely...Thomas...Mullin...JORDAN...are u sure they didnt have the same amount of talent back then?...lol...

E. J. Rizo

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2003, 04:42:15 PM »
Well, maybe (just maybe) not yet, but I guarantee that by the end of his career he will be the best player to ever play...He will never be recognized as the greatest, and the reason is because at the time Jordan came into the league, individual athlete mareketing just began...Jordan was just there at the right time...Kobe is only 24 and is already playing as good as Jordan in his prime...Jordan didn't develop a left hand 'till he was 27...Kobe came into the league straight from High School with a left hand...I've spoken with 2 college coaches about this subject and we all agreed...When Jordan was in the league, the NBA didn't have the talent it does today...They had Clyde Drexler, Dominique Wilkins, and Isiah Thomas. That's about it...There were no high flying players on every team like there are today...Today it's so much more competetive then it was in Jordan's time...Kobe is/will be the greatest player to ever play in the NBA, but because of the way the sports industry/marketing works, he will never be recognized as the greatest...Bottom line...PeACe
we had this discusion before and dont get wrong kobe is amazing but no way is he the greatest player ever.....atleast not yet....but he might possibly be but he has a long way to go......

Sub-Z

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2003, 06:42:07 PM »
eventually he will be but people wont ever give him any crddit for ebin the greatest cause they will always be on michaels nuts

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2003, 09:36:32 PM »
Drexler...Ewing..Olajuwon...Malone...MAGIC...BIRD...Kareem...Barkely...Thomas...Mullin...JORDAN...are u sure they didnt have the same amount of talent back then?...lol...

I was talking about high fly acts...Explosive type of players...LoL...when I speak, I don't speak out of my ass...PeACe

HBKid_Jr

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2003, 09:43:56 PM »

I was talking about high fly acts...Explosive type of players...LoL...when I speak, I don't speak out of my ass...PeACe
an back in the day there was more skill players

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2003, 11:27:53 PM »

So you're saying the talent level in the NBA was better back in the day? LMAO

HBKid_Jr

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2003, 11:56:35 PM »

So you're saying the talent level in the NBA was better back in the day? LMAO
no,  now a days there is more flash type players.  back in the day there was more skill type players

HBKid_Jr

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2003, 12:05:50 AM »
im readin this tread an i have come to the conclusion nik has no clue what he is talkin about actin like the nba was filled with a bunch of mark madsens back in the day.  there were a lot of players back in the day that are the equivlilant of 2days players. good solid players nothing more an people dont talk about them much now cuz they werent superstars.  there were jus as many players than that were on the same talent level of the jalen roses, mike bibbys,  an wally szerbiacks.  good players but 15 years from now u wont hear much about them.  mark price any1 remember him.  an there a lot of guys jordan played against in the early an mid 90's that were in there prime than that people seem 2 forget.  reggie miller,  david robinson,  tim hardaway,  alozon mouring,  shawn kemp back when he had game,  mad people.  you act like jordan was playin against guys the equivilant of your junior varsity high school team.  i admit todays talent is better but not like your makin it out 2 be

E. J. Rizo

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2003, 12:07:44 AM »
im readin this tread an i have come to the conclusion nik has no clue what he is talkin about actin like the nba was filled with a bunch of mark madsens back in the day.  there were a lot of players back in the day that are the equivlilant of 2days players. good solid players nothing more an people dont talk about them much now cuz they werent superstars.  there were jus as many players than that were on the same talent level of the jalen roses, mike bibbys,  an wally szerbiacks.  good players but 15 years from now u wont hear much about them.  mark price any1 remember him.  an there a lot of guys jordan played against in the early an mid 90's that were in there prime than that people seem 2 forget.  reggie miller,  david robinson,  tim hardaway,  alozon mouring,  shawn kemp back when he had game,  mad people.  you act like jordan was playin against guys the equivilant of your junior varsity high school team.  i admit todays talent is better but not like your makin it out 2 be
i really dont even agree with the talent being better....i think its about the same......
« Last Edit: February 23, 2003, 01:07:24 AM by Ejrizo »

HBKid_Jr

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2003, 12:32:31 AM »
oh  yea one more thing,  theres a lot more to basketball than jus high flyin moves an spectacular moves.  damn son theres A LOT u need to learn about b-ball

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2003, 01:06:54 AM »
kobe is the best right now but i don't know about of all time.

no doubt he'll be considered ONE of the best  and be in the NBA's top 75 of all time when they make that list again but he won't be number ONE

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

.:DayGoStyLz:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • MC's...dont wake me...
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2003, 02:49:24 AM »

Remember, u cant compare talent....of an older player..and newer player. Only, how good they are for THEIR time. Players ALWAYS get better as time goes on. Players 40 yrs ago hardly ever dribbled with their lefts lol. That doesnt mean they sucked. As for Kobe, calling him the greatest...is a stretch...and thas a HUGE understatement. He's real good righ now tho. Plus, u cant really guarentee what he WILL be by the time he's done...Griffey was supposed to be the greatest slugger of all time by the time his career was up, probably gonna pass Hank Aaron's homerun record....but shit happens.

Kaidy

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2003, 05:33:55 AM »
I dont think Kobe will be ranked up there with Jordan, Magic, Bird etc until he gets some leadership ability. Sure he's a great player and scores a lot of points, but he can't lead that team. Without Big man they wouldn't win shit when it comes to playoff time.

Like Tom said its so much more to the game than scoring points or doing some flash dunks, I'm sure Kobe will probably develop these skills in time but right now he's still way off.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2003, 06:05:30 AM by Kaidy »

Trauma-san

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2003, 05:36:04 AM »
Yeah, I think the talent level before was just as  good, maybe better.  The game was different, because it has evolved.  If Kobe's been watching basketball, he knows to be good you need to be fast and high flying, so that's how he trains; that doesn't mean he's better than Pete Maravich who was an awesome shooter.  I'd say half of the showtime lakers team was near Kobe's talent, for real.