Author Topic: Good kid mad city being compared to Illmatic? WTF  (Read 1325 times)

Gamestarr

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • P
Re: Good kid mad city being compared to Illmatic? WTF
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 08:46:27 AM »
GKMC had better beats.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 08:49:03 AM »
even tho the Gap in Hip Hop has to be bridged its kind of like a catch 22 the way the media always tries to say you can either like 1 style or another.  

i agree with u as far as comparing the two albums go, its rediculous.  Kendrick should be compared to great Music, not a 9 track classic album from almost 20 years ago.  in theiry theyre pretty close, but u'd have to take the best of the Deluxe Edition and coup it with "Cartoons & Cereal" to make it work

Sccit

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
the mods here are excellent.

as for "illmatic" vs "gkmc".....obviously, any1 comparing the 2 is either a.)and idiot b.)a 90s baby or c.)both

BlueSwan

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 11:41:12 AM »
I'm 37 years old. Nas is easily in my top 3 of all time, might even be #1. Still, I think "Good Kid, M.A.A.D City" may very well be better than any album Nas ever put out. Sure, one shouldn't judge an album too early, it may not stand the test of time. I believe this one will, though. On the flipside, I think one should also try not to put classic albums on too much of a pedestal. Yes, they are classics for a reason, but a large part of it is also nostalgia and the time it was part of. Doggystyle might be my favourite hip-hop album of all time, but would I rank it that high if it was released today? I'm not sure...

Sccit

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 11:43:02 AM »
I'm 37 years old. Nas is easily in my top 3 of all time, might even be #1. Still, I think "Good Kid, M.A.A.D City" may very well be better than any album Nas ever put out. Sure, one shouldn't judge an album too early, it may not stand the test of time. I believe this one will, though. On the flipside, I think one should also try not to put classic albums on too much of a pedestal. Yes, they are classics for a reason, but a large part of it is also nostalgia and the time it was part of. Doggystyle might be my favourite hip-hop album of all time, but would I rank it that high if it was released today? I'm not sure...

u couldnt be more off....if doggystyle was released today, it would be even better, since there is no music of that caliber being released nowadays, whereas there was great shit droppin left and right when doggsytyle came out.

King Of The Greater Los Angeles Area

• 'G'
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 11:45:06 AM »

u couldnt be more off....if doggystyle was released today, it would be even better, since there is no music of that caliber being released nowadays, whereas there was great shit droppin left and right when doggsytyle came out.

exactly, doggystyle shits on anything thats come out within the last 10 years

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 01:31:42 PM »
 :-\ im starting to dislike Kendrick based off the hype

Will_B

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 03:15:15 PM »
:-\ im starting to dislike Kendrick based off the hype

Hang in there

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 05:31:43 PM »
It's gonna be looked at as this generations Illmatic.

operation stackola

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 05:57:18 PM »

You sound like my grandpa

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 07:00:32 PM »

maybe if your grandpa listens to songs about killing cops and fucking bitches

Sccit

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 08:13:05 PM »

your grandpa's an og

Sikotic™

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 08:37:51 PM »
Can I be honest for a moment?

good kid maad city is an okay album that is mad overrated by people.

and so is illmatic (I'm a Nas fan btw).
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

eurowigger

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 08:55:41 PM »
One huge difference is that Illmatic was written by a teenager. Kendrick is rapping about his teenage years, but is an adult..