Author Topic: R.I.P. .... Mr. Rogers  (Read 240 times)

Big BpG

R.I.P. .... Mr. Rogers
« on: February 27, 2003, 10:07:20 AM »
yep, childrens host, Mr Rogers died yesterday of cancer...I remember watching him for years when I was little...

-Bluey

Albums I Bought This Year

From '93 to '05

Suga Foot

Re:R.I.P. .... Mr. Rogers
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2003, 10:10:18 AM »
RIP Mister Rogers

Kain670

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2003, 10:13:36 AM »
Yeah Mr. Rogers was a cool guy
« Last Edit: February 27, 2003, 10:13:46 AM by Kain670 »

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2003, 08:10:49 PM »
This guy was a straight up saint.  I wish pink's thread wouldn't have gotten locked, because it had a great article about him.  I wish there were more people like this guy around; Today, this made news everywhere, I heard it on the radio, saw it on t.v., I think this is significant to most of us, who didn't watch him? That article said that in 84-85 was his biggest rating years, with 8 percent of t.v.'s tuning in every morning; that was me! I used to watch that stuff religiously, I thought it was great.  My brother and me were always wanting a big aquarium like his, or to have a little trolley that ran through our living room.  

Today on the news, they said "And now, we'd like to pay a little respect to a neighbor of ours" and showed a clip of his show, where he was about to talk to kids about kidnapping; he went "Well, go find an adult that you love very much, and have them watch this with you, because we're about to talk about something really scary"... that's exactly how I'll remember him, always caring about children.  In my opinion, the greatest thing you can do in life is help children have a wonderful life... this guy is a hero.  

LAZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2003, 08:15:42 PM »
i never really watched him and YES he was on when i was little he always scared me like those puppets n shit but i respect him..... RIP Mr. Rogers

OutSider

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2003, 08:32:02 PM »
i use to have the huges crush on him.. SNIFF SNIFF

RIP Mister Rogers

TiNmaN

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • De ja Vu in this piece
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2003, 08:38:10 PM »
yea RIP man. Mr. Rogers taught me alot when i was growin up, i used to watch everyday with my dad when i was little. be bringin back OLD ass memories.

Keepin it REAL

Name may b differnt, but tha HaMMer still haz to b dropped.

Newly accquired battle recored: 2-4

Trauma-san

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2003, 08:48:42 PM »
^^ Yup.  Stop and think about that for a minute.  Some white guy who's really slow and quiet, and lives thousands of miles away from you, think how connected he was to you.  You and your dad used to watch him, so it was something you and your dad shared together and brought yall closer.  It's how you choose to spend some of your time together as a family.  He actually taught you interesting and helpful things, and gave you something to look forward to every morning.  Now, if he had that kind of impact on you, 1 person, and your family, think of the impact he had on t.v. for over 30 years.  It's mind blowing.  What a guy.  

infinite59

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2003, 12:13:03 AM »
R.I.P. for real.  Everything Trauma said about this man is right.  He had a degree in child psychology.  He knew as much about the fears and anxieties of a child as anyone TV personality; and he was able to provide kids with a solid foundation of confidence in themselves at an early age.

He showed his frustrations on TV.  If he was putting something together and couldn't get it to work, he would show kids it was okay to be frustrated.  He wanted to be real with kids.  Great man.  R.I.P.

js83

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2003, 01:50:27 AM »
Yea...i used to watch him when i was a lil kid too...he seemed like a such a nice guy...damn R.I.P

DPG4lyfe

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2003, 09:21:18 AM »

Native_Joe99

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2003, 10:28:30 AM »
poor guy, he should be on the PBS hall of fame, along with sesame street.

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2003, 10:49:09 AM »
RIP bro....man i feel old now...
used to watch him when was lil  :'(
damn funny man
peace

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2003, 12:58:11 AM »
RIP

Trauma-san

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2003, 08:50:53 AM »
I heard some interviews with him yesterday, this guy was a genius.  He said he had a little live show one time, when he first started, and they played free films they got from all over the u.s. for children, because they didn't have money to buy nice ones.  Anyways, the film would break sometimes, so the owner of the station (named Danielle) gave him a little tiger puppet, so that if the film broke, he could improvise (since it was live).  He had puppets he made when he was a little kid, because he was always sick and confined to his bed, so he was a decent puppeteer.  The film broke one day, and he was standing behind the backdrop, and not wanting to have dead air, just stuck the tiger puppet through the backdrop, and  broke a hole through a clock painted on the wall... he called the puppet "daniel" after the woman that gave it to him, and that's how Daniel got his clock on the show.

He said he made King Friday the 13th, because a kid told him one time that friday the 13th was a scary day (his dad had told him that)... so he made a character named Friday the 13th, then made him a king, so he could celebrate his birthday every friday the 13th, LOL.  GENIUS

He said some kid told him he was afraid he'd get sucked down the bathtub drain, so he did a whole show about how you can never go down the drain when your parents pull the plug, even wrote a song about it, lol.  

Mr. McFeely on the show was modeled after his granddad, which was his favorite when he was a little kid.  All the sweaters he wore, his mom made for him over the years, every year she'd knit him a sweater for christmas, so that's why he always wore them on the show, to remember her.  

They asked him about Eddie Murphy's "Mister Robinson's Hood" skit on SNL, too, and he said that he thought it was done with a lot of affection, and he thought it was funny.  He said he met Eddie Murphy one time, and Eddie gave him a hug, and told him he wouldn't ever make fun of him unless he really liked the show... he said the only parody he had a problem with was one time a guy dressed up like him on local t.v. in pittsburg and told kids to grab their dad's lighter and their mom's hairspray and make a blowtorch with it; so he complained to the fcc and they took the show off the air.  

They said that one time he won an award for the show, and in front of the television critics council, when he accepted the award, he told the crowd to take a minute to think about the adults that inspired them as children and got them where they are today.  Then he looked at his watch for a minute without saying anything, thanked them at 1 minute, and walked off stage.  LOL

They also told about a time he was scheduled to talk to a kindergarten class in pittsburg thursday morning.  Dateline called him tuesday to see if he could appear on the show wednesday night, and he politely declined, reasoning that he "owed it" to the kindergarten class to be fresh and rested when he met with them thursday morning.  

Before he got his show, he worked on another television station; every spare day off he had, he'd go to orphanages and childrens hospitals to meet kids and visit them.  Helping kids was apparently a lifelong goal he had, and he said on the interview he didnt' even know why, it was just what he felt he was supposed to do.  

He was really religious, and even a protestant minister, but he was really carefull to never mention religion on the show, because he didn't want to alienate any children that might be another religion.  This guy bought some wings with that.