Author Topic: The Official MLB Thread  (Read 7513 times)

MistaNova

Re: Sticky: The Official MLB Thread
« Reply #180 on: June 14, 2013, 08:46:01 PM »
I just heard that the M's DFA'd Shoppach and signed someone else.
Needless to say I'm scratching my head. Although the "narrative" seems to be, welcome to the Zunino Era.

Remedy360

« Reply #181 on: June 15, 2013, 05:19:05 AM »
I just heard that the M's DFA'd Shoppach and signed someone else.
Needless to say I'm scratching my head. Although the "narrative" seems to be, welcome to the Zunino Era.

Jesus, I missed that one until coming home this morning. Who the fuck is Henry Blanco?? Zunino has looked good so far but I hpe they're not trying to proclaim success after two games. Seriously though, Shoppach was poor to bad at best, but Henry Blanco?? Look at the damn stats. Holy hell. Who the fuck is this guy?

MistaNova

« Reply #182 on: June 15, 2013, 09:01:21 AM »
I have no idea. Although one comment I saw on Twitter said that he might have been brought on to be Zunino's "mentor."
Keep an eye on this Remedy and give me an update on these two in a week.

And I hope I'm wrong but the Yankees look like they've finally let injuries slow them down. I think the last time we actually won a game was back in Seattle. If you get beat by the Angels you know you're doing something wrong.
I suppose it'll all end at the trade deadline though since the Yankees will most likely get Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay, Mike Stanton and Bryce Harper.

Remedy360

« Reply #183 on: June 15, 2013, 06:42:43 PM »
I have no idea. Although one comment I saw on Twitter said that he might have been brought on to be Zunino's "mentor."
Keep an eye on this Remedy and give me an update on these two in a week.

And I hope I'm wrong but the Yankees look like they've finally let injuries slow them down. I think the last time we actually won a game was back in Seattle. If you get beat by the Angels you know you're doing something wrong.
I suppose it'll all end at the trade deadline though since the Yankees will most likely get Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay, Mike Stanton and Bryce Harper.

LOL, dude just hit a grand slam.

MistaNova

« Reply #184 on: June 16, 2013, 02:52:50 PM »
Does that mean it'll take a week for M's fans to wish he wasn't on the team anymore or two weeks?

BTW, I heard something pretty interesting today.
Apparently some people are doubtful if Iwakuma's going to be called to the ASG. And it's not because he hasn't earned it (he has) but rather because the M's are such a shitty team that people are doubting whether or not the M's are worthy of having two players represent them in ASG (I think it's pretty obvious that Felix already got his plane ticket).
I'm hoping he'll be able to go though. Actually I'm more confident that he will go as a replacement as I guarantee that someone will back out due to injury or whatever.

Remedy360

« Reply #185 on: June 16, 2013, 02:54:23 PM »
Does that mean it'll take a week for M's fans to wish he wasn't on the team anymore or two weeks?

BTW, I heard something pretty interesting today.
Apparently some people are doubtful if Iwakuma's going to be called to the ASG. And it's not because he hasn't earned it (he has) but rather because the M's are such a shitty team that people are doubting whether or not the M's are worthy of having two players represent them in ASG (I think it's pretty obvious that Felix already got his plane ticket).
I'm hoping he'll be able to go though. Actually I'm more confident that he will go as a replacement as I guarantee that someone will back out due to injury or whatever.

Where are you hearing that? That would be complete BS, especially since the All Star game has WS implications now. Not only does dude deserve it, there's even a case to make for him to be the starter. What a travesty that would be.

MistaNova

« Reply #186 on: June 16, 2013, 03:18:22 PM »
Another JMS patient on my Twitter feed who was "paraphrasing" Ken Rosenthal.
Although in his defense almost every post regarding the ASG is a bunch of bs.

Like this gem.
"Derek Jeter doesn't need to play to get invited to the ASG, it's called respect"

Personally I consider these all star games (in any sport) to be a huge waste of time and a big joke. The fact that fans are allowed to pick the starting line-ups says it all.

Remedy360

« Reply #187 on: June 16, 2013, 05:26:57 PM »
Another JMS patient on my Twitter feed who was "paraphrasing" Ken Rosenthal.
Although in his defense almost every post regarding the ASG is a bunch of bs.

Like this gem.
"Derek Jeter doesn't need to play to get invited to the ASG, it's called respect"

Personally I consider these all star games (in any sport) to be a huge waste of time and a big joke. The fact that fans are allowed to pick the starting line-ups says it all.

That's so dumb. Who fucking cares how good the team is, it's supposed to be the best players, and the MLB was the sport that was stupid enough to MAKE THEIR GAME MATTER. You really know how to get my blood boiling with your posts lol

MistaNova

« Reply #188 on: June 16, 2013, 07:26:56 PM »
You really know how to get my blood boiling with your posts lol

#success

As a Yankees fan it's somewhat my moral duty to piss other folks off. With such methods as:
*Saying that I'm a Yankees fan
*27 Rings 8)
*Saying how the Yankees are going to take away another team's prized player (cough, Felix, cough)

But I didn't mean to piss you off (exactly).
If you're pissed off at the statement I quoted earlier about how Iwakuma might suffer because of his team I agree with you that that was dumb. But keep in mind that I'm not the one the said it. Don't shoot the messenger man.

If you're pissed off at how I said the ASG is a joke, I'm sorry but that's probably one of the things we'll have to agree to disagree about.
I know how the outcome of the asg effects who gets home field advantage in the ws but I still consider a big joke. The fans being able to vote for the players is a huge joke. Face it, does anybody really pick those who are deserving? No, a lot of the fans are either homers who voted for guys on their favorite team (I fall into this category) or morons who think they know everything just because they watch Sportscenter that pick the household names. The fact that Derek Jeter is amongst the top vote getters shows how stupid this is. That said I'm not saying that those household names don't have a right to go but there's always that one guy (or maybe more) that get snubbed even though they earned the right to go. Like last year Encarnacion was a pretty big snub and this year I'm guessing that Howie Kendrick will suffer the same fate.
At the same time why does every team need to have a representative other than for marketing purposes? You're going to let Altuve join but make someone more deserving stay home because he's on a different team that only has 1 legit player? That's bull.

Anyway as you can see I consider a lot of things in baseball a joke. The HoF, the PED issue, the ASG and don't get me started on the fans and ballparks. But fuck it, I still love this sport.
And yes, I will be watching the ASG on tv out of spite and boredom.

Remedy360

« Reply #189 on: June 16, 2013, 07:39:46 PM »
You really know how to get my blood boiling with your posts lol

#success

As a Yankees fan it's somewhat my moral duty to piss other folks off. With such methods as:
*Saying that I'm a Yankees fan
*27 Rings 8)
*Saying how the Yankees are going to take away another team's prized player (cough, Felix, cough)

But I didn't mean to piss you off (exactly).
If you're pissed off at the statement I quoted earlier about how Iwakuma might suffer because of his team I agree with you that that was dumb. But keep in mind that I'm not the one the said it. Don't shoot the messenger man.

If you're pissed off at how I said the ASG is a joke, I'm sorry but that's probably one of the things we'll have to agree to disagree about.
I know how the outcome of the asg effects who gets home field advantage in the ws but I still consider a big joke. The fans being able to vote for the players is a huge joke. Face it, does anybody really pick those who are deserving? No, a lot of the fans are either homers who voted for guys on their favorite team (I fall into this category) or morons who think they know everything just because they watch Sportscenter that pick the household names. The fact that Derek Jeter is amongst the top vote getters shows how stupid this is. That said I'm not saying that those household names don't have a right to go but there's always that one guy (or maybe more) that get snubbed even though they earned the right to go. Like last year Encarnacion was a pretty big snub and this year I'm guessing that Howie Kendrick will suffer the same fate.
At the same time why does every team need to have a representative other than for marketing purposes? You're going to let Altuve join but make someone more deserving stay home because he's on a different team that only has 1 legit player? That's bull.

Anyway as you can see I consider a lot of things in baseball a joke. The HoF, the PED issue, the ASG and don't get me started on the fans and ballparks. But fuck it, I still love this sport.
And yes, I will be watching the ASG on tv out of spite and boredom.

Nah just hearing that statement pissed me off, I knew it wasn't your opinion though. The ASG is a joke, the fact that they give it such major implications is an even bigger one.

MistaNova

« Reply #190 on: June 16, 2013, 07:51:13 PM »
Aight so we one the same page then, I think...

Moving on, what's your take on Ibanez and Morales? I've heard a few rumblings about how some fans consider them pieces for the long term (even though they've got like 2 more players exactly like them in Bay and Morse). And about how others are thinking maybe they're trade-bait or at least place holders until the cavalry arrive (whoever they are). Do you see them being with Seattle beyond this season? Morales in particular?

Remedy360

« Reply #191 on: June 16, 2013, 08:49:44 PM »
Aight so we one the same page then, I think...

Moving on, what's your take on Ibanez and Morales? I've heard a few rumblings about how some fans consider them pieces for the long term (even though they've got like 2 more players exactly like them in Bay and Morse). And about how others are thinking maybe they're trade-bait or at least place holders until the cavalry arrive (whoever they are). Do you see them being with Seattle beyond this season? Morales in particular?

I'd disagree on those first points. First off, I like Morse but Morales is a much more complete hitter when healthy. Uses the whole field, draws a lot of walks, switch hitter, etc. Morse is good when hot but he goes through major cold spells as well and strikes out as much as anybody. As for Jason Bay, he looked good for a bit but has been awful lately. Ibanez on the other hand has 13 home runs. Neither one of them were supposed to (or should be) playing as much as they have but Ibanez has made the most of it and Bay has been pretty bad lately. With that said, there's no way anyone could expect Ibanez to be a long term guy, dude's 41 lol. As for Morales, we should at least try to re-sign him, he's the type of hitter they've been looking for and pretty much everythign Smoak was supposed to be. Our pussy ass Nintendo ownership group should at least try to make it happen but I have zero faith in them and he's a Boras client so who the fuck knows. The idea of them being trade-bait is certainly a possibility, you would just have to weigh what we're getting vs what we're giving up, we do not have a very good track -record in deadline deals as you know.

MistaNova

« Reply #192 on: June 17, 2013, 02:06:36 PM »
Okay, so Morales is a maybe and Ibanez is...

On a completely unrelated note, the Astros have more wins than the Mets and Marlins right now. LMAO!
The battle for next year's first overall pick is heating up 8).

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

« Reply #193 on: June 18, 2013, 02:45:40 AM »
I don't wanna start multiple threads on mlb but Yasiel Puig did a video to convince people to vote 4 him 2 be in this years ASG.  Anyone think he should be there?  He is 1 of the hottest new players out there, mlb is too much in the stone age anyways.  Never mind certain old fogies who've been in there enuff times as is.  Show some of the new talent.  Hopefully Puig tears it up at the new yankee stadium. 

About motherbleeping time the dodgers played at yankee stadium for the 1st time since 1981.  Shoulda happened as early as 2002 but no mlb sold out & ruined interleague play with the constant same city thing every single year >:(  Nfl don't do same state/city teams every year in regular season, & they shouldn't unless its preseason.  Shoulda happened when Joe Torre managed the Dodgers, I wondered how yankee fans would react when he came back in dodger gear :-\

MistaNova

« Reply #194 on: June 18, 2013, 09:23:42 AM »
TBH I don't think Puig deserves to go the ASG but he has been something of a fresh air for the struggling Dodgers. Much like Harper, Trout and Darvish last year the hype might carry him there.
At the same time I'm trying to think of who else the Dodgers would send to the ASG. Kershaw is a lock but last I checked most of their positions players either suck or are hurt. So Puig might go by default.

If he does go it's be awesome if we could see another brawl and Puig goes bat-shit crazy. #ManBearPuig.

And speaking of the Dodgers, welcome home Donnie Baseball :).