Author Topic: The Official MLB Thread  (Read 7530 times)

Remedy360

Re: Sticky: The Official MLB Thread
« Reply #285 on: December 08, 2013, 11:04:59 PM »
Not just the Mariners. A-Rod himself and Scott Boras are also to blame for A-Rod's downfall but the Mariners are definitely guilty to a certain extent. Yet they act like A-Rod was never a part of their organization. Faggots.

Such anger. Do you want us to retire his jersey or something?

MistaNova

« Reply #286 on: December 08, 2013, 11:17:40 PM »
Anger? Lol, hardly. I've got nothing for A-Rod or against the Mariners.

However I do dare you guys to induct him into the Mariners Hall Of Fame.

MistaNova

« Reply #287 on: December 11, 2013, 07:41:03 PM »
Rumor has it that the Yankees turned down an offer from the Reds proposing a Brandon Phillips for Brett Gardner recently. Details are sketchy and chances are more players would've been involved but either way it went nowhere.

Stupid Yankees. They'll regret this when Brett Gardner leaves via free agency and signs with a team like the Mets.

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
« Reply #288 on: December 11, 2013, 08:25:28 PM »
Rumor has it that the Yankees turned down an offer from the Reds proposing a Brandon Phillips for Brett Gardner recently. Details are sketchy and chances are more players would've been involved but either way it went nowhere.

Stupid Yankees. They'll regret this when Brett Gardner leaves via free agency and signs with a team like the Mets.

Yeah if Gardner really is on the trading block and they want to flip a 2B then they might've missed a big one here.

Phillips tends to get hated on due to his poor attitude, to the point where he actually becomes underrated. I don't think Yanks are going to get a better second base offer than that. He may be coming off a down year offensively but he still might be the best defensive glove at 2B in the league and even in his down year he wasn't necessarily horrible at the bat.

MistaNova

« Reply #289 on: December 11, 2013, 08:51:41 PM »
Yeah if Gardner really is on the trading block and they want to flip a 2B then they might've missed a big one here.

Phillips tends to get hated on due to his poor attitude, to the point where he actually becomes underrated. I don't think Yanks are going to get a better second base offer than that. He may be coming off a down year offensively but he still might be the best defensive glove at 2B in the league and even in his down year he wasn't necessarily horrible at the bat.

Well from the reports I've seen since I made that post appearently it might've had to do with how Phillips is a lot more expensive than Gardner (and he was even asking for a slight bonus if he's traded). Ergo it might not really be whether or not the Yankees value Phillips too low or Gardner too high, they just didn't want to pay Phillips for the rest of his contract.
Still, you're right about how the Yankees won't get a better offer for a 2nd baseman. In the long run Phillips would be a good investment since Gardner is obviously going to leave after other teams offer him more money than the Yankees will, Infante will not be a long-term solution and they don't have any promising second base prospects coming up through their system (not anytime soon at least). Plus Infante and his agents will use this to their advantage seeing as how he's probably the best option left thus driving his price, if he were to sign with the Yankees, even higher.

On a sidenote, I'm considering renouncing my status as a Yankees fan when Gardner leaves and Jeter retires, the appeal of the team to me was that their core was homegrown. But once Garder and Jeter go, who the fuck is left?
Although I suppose I'll eventually go back to being a Yankees fan when the team has finally collapsed and the team has no choice but to rebuild and actually develop their own players again and goes back to being the lovable losers they were in the 80's/Roberto Kelly years 8).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 08:54:16 PM by Iveus »

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
« Reply #290 on: December 11, 2013, 09:08:26 PM »

Well from the reports I've seen since I made that post appearently it might've had to do with how Phillips is a lot more expensive than Gardner (and he was even asking for a slight bonus if he's traded). Ergo it might not really be whether or not the Yankees value Phillips too low or Gardner too high, they just didn't want to pay Phillips for the rest of his contract.
Still, you're right about how the Yankees won't get a better offer for a 2nd baseman. In the long run Phillips would be a good investment since Gardner is obviously going to leave after other teams offer him more money than the Yankees will, Infante will not be a long-term solution and they don't have any promising second base prospects coming up through their system (not anytime soon at least). Plus Infante and his agents will use this to their advantage seeing as how he's probably the best option left thus driving his price, if he were to sign with the Yankees, even higher.

On a sidenote, I'm considering renouncing my status as a Yankees fan when Gardner leaves and Jeter retires, the appeal of the team to me was that their core was homegrown. But once Garder and Jeter go, who the fuck is left?
Although I suppose I'll eventually go back to being a Yankees fan when the team has finally collapsed and the team has no choice but to rebuild and actually develop their own players again and goes back to being the lovable losers they were in the 80's/Roberto Kelly years 8).

Yeah it doesn't help Yankees' cause that Royals are after Infante as well. If Infante is willing to do a 3 year (or less) deal, I'd sign him in a heart beat.

MistaNova

« Reply #291 on: December 16, 2013, 01:25:26 PM »
Update:

*John Axford signs with Cleveland Indians. 1 year, $4.5 million plus incentives.
*Mark Ellis signs with St. Louis Cardinals. 1 year, $5.25 million plus incentives.
*Gavin Floyd signs with Atlanta Braves. 1 year, $4.5 million with an addition $4.5 million in incentives.

*D-Backs and White Sox trade again
D-Backs Get:
Addison Reed

White Sox Get:
Matt Davidson

White Sox seem to be getting younger with every move they make (Garcia, Abreu and now Davidson).
The Braves managed to bring in a decent 4th starter and have also avoided arbitration with Brandon Beachy.

MistaNova

« Reply #292 on: December 18, 2013, 03:52:39 PM »
More updates:

*Grant Balfour signs with Baltimore Orioles.
The O's and A's just swapped closers.

*Raul Ibanez signs with Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. 1 year $2.75 million. Loaded with incentives that could potentially be worth $5 million.
The Angels have the best 21 year old season of all time and the best 41 year old season of all time.

*Casey McGehee signs with Miami Marlins.
1 year deal, financials not announced.

*Padres-Astros Trade: Jesus Guzman goes to Houston, Ryan Jackson goes to San Diego.
BORING!

*Indians-Rockies Trade: Drew Stubbs goes to Colorado, Josh Outman goes to Cleveland.
Hopefully Stubbs does better in Coors, Cleveland basically just wanted to dump Stubbs onto someone else.

*Red Sox-Rockies Trade: Jonathan Herrera goes to Boston, Franklin Morales goes to Colorado.
Yawn

*Joaquin Benoit signed a 2 year deal with the San Diego Padres.
Dollar figure not announced. A pitcher going to San Diego is never a bad thing.

*Eric Chavez resigns with D-Backs. Details not yet disclosed.
Allegedly Chavez didn't want to move so he stayed in Arizona.

*Braves-Twins Trade: Ryan Doumit goes to Atlanta, Sean Gilmartin goes to Minnesota
Twins save money by trading away Doumit and are allegedly looking at cheaper options like Kurt Suzuki. Twins are also looking said to be looking for more pitching.
Braves get to use Bethancourt and/or Gattis in the pinch-hitter role. The addition of Doumit provides depth both on the bench and at catcher.

*Orioles-Royals Trade: David Lough goes to Baltimore, Danny Valencia goes to Kansas City
Baltimore saves money as Valencia still has potential to be a serviceable major leaguer
Decent pickup by Kansas City
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 04:01:06 PM by Iveus »

Remedy360

« Reply #293 on: February 13, 2014, 11:05:35 PM »
Well..pitchers and catchers reported.

-Iwakuma's gonna miss 4-6 weeks with a strained finger

-Franklin "The Iron Man" Guttierez is out for the season with gastrointestinal problems. That'll give him 81 games in 3 seasons.

-El Galapago aka the Large Tortoise aka Jesus Montero showed up to camp overweight (past what Wedge considered overweight last season)  AFTER getting busted for PED's last year. What a bum this guy has turned out to be.

-Fernando Rodney still pending his physical

Really hope we make a run at a guy like Jimenez or Santana. We have some good young arms but anchoring the end of the rotation with 3 of them is not a good plan for this season. Apparently the front office is very interested in Nelson Cruz and I am hoping against hope that it does not happen.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 11:07:28 PM by Remedy360 »

MistaNova

« Reply #294 on: March 25, 2014, 04:06:38 PM »
So the Pirates recently acquired Vance Worley for cash recently.

Personally I think that's a pretty nice acquisition considering how Worley can be a servicable fifth starter (at least based on what I've seen, heard and read). Plus unlike last year he should have some more offense to help back him up this year. Or at least he will if he pitches in the bigs.

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #295 on: September 29, 2014, 08:11:12 PM »
Who you got in these playoffs?