Author Topic: Please Convince Me That Daz Dillinger is a Good Producer (THETRUTHUG)  (Read 1254 times)

Hancock

• Lil Geezy
I am not calling this guy out, but I am calling anyone out that believes Daz is great at producing. I don't care about his rapping ability. I am talking about producing.

I know DJ Quik gets multiple threads per month about his status and production, but THETRUTHUG's thread about DJ Quik not being a genius not only made me laugh my ass off, but made pissed off at the same time.

Did this motherfucker just say Daz is the greatest rapper-producer of all-time? Are you serious, bro? Sorry, but Q-Tip has a word to say with you. Seriously, all of Q-Tip's solo albums shit on all of Daz's catalogue. It's not even close!

I don't believe for one second that Daz produced any of 2Pac's work on All Eyez on Me. I have never thought he did the work. Daz complained that he didn't get credit for the Chronic or Doggystyle, which I don't believe he did any work on those albums either...

Now, where am I going? Listen, I like some of Daz's work, but you have to be out of your fucking mind if you think this guy produced Ambitonz az a Ridah, I Ain't Mad at Cha, etc.

If he produced classics like this back on Deathrow, how come he has never done anything even close to this after 1998?

THETRUTHUG, Daz has done nothing close to this type of production, EVER.

There's no evidence so far in the past that I have seen that says Daz produced the classic songs on Deathrow especially the 2Pac songs. I Ain't Mad at Cha is beautifully constructed and it sounds like something DJ Quik would have done, not fucking Daz. I am not buying it. Show me some physical evidence or some interviews of Daz. Shit, even Daz can speak for himself. I know he posts on this forum from time to time. Daz has a false reputation since forever. He is overrated as fuck. Kurupt has always been a better rapper. Kurupt produced Tattoo Tearz (OG) for 2Pac and that beat is insane. Has Daz done anything like this??

Classic DJ Quik production that was done on Deathrow for 2Pac

^^^Daz ain't fucking with a beat like this!!! Daz is not capable of doing this like this.

Anyone can participate in this. I want to know why Daz is so revered on this forum. I have heard some absurd shit, but greatest rapper-producer ever???

So, Daz is better than:

Pete Rock, Dr. Dre, Q-Tip, Kanye West, Diamond D, Havoc, RZA...

lmfao, get the fuck outta here!

Remedy360

Re: Please Convince Me That Daz Dillinger is a Good Producer (THETRUTHUG)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 06:40:12 PM »
Saying he's the greatest is ridiculous, you're going overboard saying he's not even "good" though.

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 06:54:29 PM »
 Every dpg album and every daz album(except the one he did with no production from him of course) has good daz beats(and iam talking since 98 not just prior).
 All that you have to do it listen to all dpg albums and daz albums and you cant tell me that there isnt good and great production on them.
 Yeah i know some were he and soopafly or mike dean etc but still..
 He did good production on Kurupt albums also. Did shit for the lost boys and the who ridaz and shit in the past.
 I think he is a very good producer.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 10:19:44 PM »
I'd say Daz is a good producer.  Once again, I still think we're a little too hung up on beats when it comes to analyzing production. It has been done a great deal with Dr. Dre and I think it's happening here with Daz. I think the difference in Daz, post-Death Row, as opposed to Dre and Quik, is that the latter two still have access to the best studios and musicians and consider themselves producers first, artists second.

bouli77

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 01:45:03 AM »
sounds like an angry dj quik fan, chill out, it's only music.

soopafly confirmed on this very board that he & daz produced I ain't mad at cha. i believe that most of the greatness associated with daz's productions comes from his co-producers and musicians : soopafly, mike dean, etc. imo daz makes the basic drum loop / structure. still we don't know for sure, it's only educated guesses. and daz has a nice catalogue. so we know for sure that daz has a catalogue of classic songs, but we don't know his involvement.

b.laden

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 03:52:07 AM »
Daz is one of the best producer ...during or after Death rows records ! and dont compare Daz to DJ Quik , their style are completly different even opposites . Daz is  minimalist (the producer not the rapper) Quik is more funky, 70's or early 80's type of funk and disco . Daz has a  modern style . If you can find many influences in DJ Quik's music , Dog Food by DPG was completly original and new .
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 03:57:04 AM by b.laden »

Mr. Theo

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 05:30:36 AM »
Daz is a good producer.

Ain't Mad Cha,Ambition of Ridah,2 Amerikas Most Wanted,Skandalouz,Dogg Food album e various Daz productions through the years are dope.Cool Music.

But let's be real ...

MUSICALLY.. pick one DJ Quik beat..

Dollaz+Sense for example..

MUSICALLY,TECHNICALLY,Structurally with one track DJ Quik destroyed everything Daz made . But Daz songs remain cool.

And speaking of production, no rapper / producer will reach the level of making a Rhythm-al-ism LP.

This is perfection.

KASHIF N' QUIK   MY FAVORITES MUSICIANS ALL TIME #RIPKASHIF

MOBNigga06

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 07:02:40 AM »

I don't believe for one second that Daz produced any of 2Pac's work on All Eyez on Me. I have never thought he did the work. Daz complained that he didn't get credit for the Chronic or Doggystyle, which I don't believe he did any work on those albums either...

Do you remember the thread I made about this topic? I still think my point seems basically correct. It defies credibility to assign five of the greatest beats from the 90s to a producer who went on to produce nothing even remotely as good. It's like one of the engineers said in an interview: Daz turned on the machine and dropped the bassline, the entire rest of the beat is by other people.

Nobody's talent declines so sharply. Either Daz acquired a mental illness or he didn't really produce the AEOM beats.
The most GAMED UP poster on DubCC.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

Mr. Theo

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 08:31:53 AM »

Do you remember the thread I made about this topic? I still think my point seems basically correct. It defies credibility to assign five of the greatest beats from the 90s to a producer who went on to produce nothing even remotely as good. It's like one of the engineers said in an interview: Daz turned on the machine and dropped the bassline, the entire rest of the beat is by other people.

Nobody's talent declines so sharply. Either Daz acquired a mental illness or he didn't really produce the AEOM beats.

MOB. That's right homie. Perfect

Mr. Theo

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 08:37:19 AM »
Responding to the thread.. I Think Daz is a good producer!! But not a genius.

Man I Love DPG "Hittin Donutz in The Streets"  "U Remind Me"  "I Luv When U"  "Vibe" "Can't Get Enough" "Dat Ain't My Baby" "Good Azz DAY" and many others. This shit is on my ipod for years.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 10:11:21 AM »
Daz is a good producer.

Ain't Mad Cha,Ambition of Ridah,2 Amerikas Most Wanted,Skandalouz,Dogg Food album e various Daz productions through the years are dope.Cool Music.

But let's be real ...

MUSICALLY,TECHNICALLY,Structurally with one track DJ Quik destroyed everything Daz made . But Daz songs remain cool.

And speaking of production, no rapper / producer will reach the level of making a Rhythm-al-ism LP.

This is perfection.
I agree.  daz production from '93-'98 was mean though.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Outlaw Tay 187

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 10:28:31 AM »
Daz is a good producer.

But let's be real ...

This is perfection.

How you gonna say Dollaz & Sense beat > everything Daz has done? lol. Skandalouz beat > Dollaz & Sense.

Back on topic, DJ Quik >>>>>>>>>>>>> Daz. DJ Quik is one of my favourite producers, doesn't get the credit he deserves. Daz's production in the 90's was dope though.

Hancock

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 12:02:50 PM »
sounds like an angry dj quik fan, chill out, it's only music.

soopafly confirmed on this very board that he & daz produced I ain't mad at cha. i believe that most of the greatness associated with daz's productions comes from his co-producers and musicians : soopafly, mike dean, etc. imo daz makes the basic drum loop / structure. still we don't know for sure, it's only educated guesses. and daz has a nice catalogue. so we know for sure that daz has a catalogue of classic songs, but we don't know his involvement.

Oh please and don't tell me to chill out. I will rip your ass to shreds. Don't even go there.

Anyway, I am not a DJ Quik stan. I listen to all regions of hip hop, which is why my OP mentions east coast rappers. I found what THETRUTHUG said in his thread to be absolutely ludicrous. He must have been high on something.

I don't hate Daz. I like some of Daz's solo stuff and I love Dogg Food and many of DPG's songs. Did I ever say I didn't like Daz? I said he was OVERRATED. I said he has a reputation he doesn't deserve. Don't put words in my cyber mouth, boy. Daz is a good producer, not great, but good. There are many producers that are better than him. and DJ Quik is far and away better. DJ Quik is in this conversation because of that ridiculous thread about DJ Quik not being a genius and then it is mentioned Daz is the greatest rapper/producer ever and that rubbed me the wrong way. It's just not true. It's straight trolling.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 12:07:04 PM by Hancock »

Hancock

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 12:04:26 PM »

No, I don't remember your thread. Could you give me the link to it, please?

I agree with you 100% about Daz. Either he has production amnesia or he never made those AEOM beats. Something isn't right about this shit. I am sure you, me and others know this too.

Will_B

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2013, 12:41:00 PM »
Daz's Death Row sound was his version of the house style.

That means a of team people including Daz himself, made up of producers, musicians, writers, singers, arrangers, mixers and engineers (and anyone else with an idea) came up with and established a Death Row sound, then Daz got a shot at moving them towards his idea of what they should make, and created his own version of the style.

To say Daz couldn't have done it without them is true. To ask why he hasn't made a track like it since leaving Death Row, like it will somehow prove he's a fake is just idiotic.

After Daz went independent all he really had to cook up a new sound with was Soopafly (later came Mike Dean, then Ivan Johnson etc) and his sound changed each time.