Author Topic: is DJ Paul right: "I don’t see anything getting rid of Southern Hip Hop" ?  (Read 579 times)

Hack Wilson - real

Re: is DJ Paul right: "I don’t see anything getting rid of Southern Hip Hop" ?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 04:24:48 PM »

did you know manny fresh toured with too short and pac? did you know johnny j schooled him on the mpc?

when was this?  Pac and Johnny J didn't meet until like 92/93

bouli77

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2014, 07:41:27 AM »
the south has always had a strong presence in hip hop. in the 80's Mannie Fresh was already doing his thing, so was Rap-a-Lot. commercially, they reached their peak in the 00's but artistically their prime was in the 90's pretty much everywhere : ATL (Outkast, Goodie Mob), Memphis (36M, Playa Fly, Tommy Wright III, 8ball & MJG), H-Town (Geto Boys, Big Mello, Screwed Up Click, South Park Coalition, Street Military), New Orleans (Big Boy Records, Parners N Crime, Black Menace, No Limit Records, Cash Money), etc.

I don't think hip hop will die down anywhere, and the south is still as vibrant as it once was, it's just the agenda the mainstream is pushing which fucks it all up. back in the day mainstream music meant quality music, despite what some people might have said at the time (i.e. east coast critics), musically the south was on another level. nowadays, everything is watered down and they try to cut as much cost as possible so you'll get shitty beat and shitty soulless music to try to emulate what a&r think are hot and are palatable for the youth.

if by "doing his thing in the 80s" you mean "Manny fresh made music" you'd be correct.  but he was never really shit until Cash money scooped him up to work with UNLV around '93.  Manny was one of the more under rated producers in the mid 90's but lets not act like he was on the level of Dre or Premo or Large Professor

he was already established, that's what I meant. i didn't say he was on Dre's level or anything lol, I'm just saying that many scenes in the south (including  the LA scene with Mannie Fresh among others) had already a vibrant, innovative hip hop scene in the late 80's. when I say the South was on another level musically speaking I'm saying that they had production teams that could give Death Row, No Limit or the Dangerous Crew a run for their money, whether it was Organised Noize, Pimp C, T-Mix from Suave House, NO Joe, Jo Bido, Mike Dean, John Bido from Rap-a-Lot, Precise from Big Boy Records, DJ Paul & Juicy J, etc.

The_Offence

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 10:23:20 AM »
the east coast will always be relevant in the rap game because that's where rap started.. all these rappers around the world gotta go to the east to do biz. you gotta hit up hot 95, the breakfast club and all the record labels out there because most of these big hip hop companies are located in NYC. they might not have the biggest rappers in the game but everything in there. even if you got a lil buzz on the west or down south you still gotta go to NYC for that stamp.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 11:58:59 AM by The_Offence »

Heinz

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 10:46:03 AM »

I think
i thought
i thought alot
i mean more
i just
I mean always
i guess stuff
i dont know
Ive heard it.

Good to see that Heinz continues to contribute to the boards.

Don't believe the hype.

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 11:22:43 PM »
 Shouldn't you be over in Syria fighting with the Islamic state or something?

daytondanger

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 01:21:23 AM »

I think
i thought
i thought alot
i mean more
i just
I mean always
i guess stuff
i dont know
Ive heard it.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 05:59:11 PM »