Author Topic: Rappers should do kickstarter and have fans preorder/buy their album beforehand  (Read 200 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
I heard something about this in the Ras Kass interview and I thought it was kind of an interesting way around the problem of illegal downloading.

...like you take a rapper like Ras who does have loyal fans.  And basically, kind of be like.... once I raise $50,000 dollars then I will produce an album (and until then you don't get an album from me).

...Or you could do it off of sales like, once I get $25,000 dollars worth of pre-order I will produce an album and whoever preordered gets the first copies (and until then ya'll ain't get shit from me ever again)

Think about it.  If Dre promised an album at some large figure like $5,000,000 I think that eventually the number would get up to that on kickstarter and then he would be obligated to release it to everyone who contributed.

Of course while the money was being raised they would be working on material but keepin it in the vault until they reached their goal, kind of like what Gobi is doing with the 2pac thing.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:11:24 AM by Infinite Trapped In 1996 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

CORREA

illegal downloading will never end  ;)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Or artists could just focus on creating great albums with a lot of great songs and the people will buy them and buy more and more as the years go by. In the end the cream always rises to the top.

That bring said Kickstarter would work for a lot of rappers if they were Indy and not already being paid by major labels.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
De La Soul just did this

That asked for 200k and raised over a million

Interesting... Ras also said it worked well for him previously.  The way he described it, is "it is still supply and demand, you are just putting the demand before the supply".

...because if you do the opposite and supply the album, putting it out and hoping for people to buy, they will just download it.  So instead, you make people demand the album by contributing to your kickstarter goal, and then take the album out of the vault.  Of course at that point if it is illegally downloaded it won't matter because you have already reached your goal.

Don Seer

I think that eventually

What do you think?

I think you misunderstand how Kickstarter works. there is a relatively short time limit, something like 2 months tops., it doesn't sit around forever waiting to reach the end.

Plus, a successful kickstarter  is NOT a  guarantee of the end product. You still might never get the album.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before

...because if you do the opposite and supply the album, putting it out and hoping for people to buy, they will just download it.  So instead, you make people demand the album by contributing to your kickstarter goal, and then take the album out of the vault.  Of course at that point if it is illegally downloaded it won't matter because you have already reached your goal.

Thus the major problem of hip hop and it's place as an art form.  Every other project on kickstarter is coming from artists that just want enough money to be able to create their desired art project. Hip hop and it's fans are looking for ways to just eat off a commercial project where the art is secondary.

There  is nothing sacred here. Money money money.

If I put something on kickstarter it's mainly to see my vision come to life. Not mainly to see my business venture be safe from piracy.

• Muthafuckin' Don!

I think you misunderstand how Kickstarter works. there is a relatively short time limit, something like 2 months tops., it doesn't sit around forever waiting to reach the end.

Plus, a successful kickstarter  is NOT a  guarantee of the end product. You still might never get the album.

yeah... I'm not that familiar with exactly how kickstarter works... but it is a model that has shown some potential as an alternative to releasing albums like it is still the 1990's.  Maybe the kickstarter model could be used in a different format.

...you said there is a time limit, but it seems like that dude Gobi doing the Pac documentary has had his up forever

CORREA

yeah... I'm not that familiar with exactly how kickstarter works... but it is a model that has shown some potential as an alternative to releasing albums like it is still the 1990's.  Maybe the kickstarter model could be used in a different format.

...you said there is a time limit, but it seems like that dude Gobi doing the Pac documentary has had his up forever

gobi has epic failed after epic failed

Sccit

Andre Nickatina just reached his goal, i think it's a great idea

Its the only way that will work really as the net has made everything "free" and irrespective of how dope something is only 1/10000 people who leeched will go and cop the real thing. Even if they do in that situation the artist still only gets crumbs.

In many ways its also holding artistry to a ransom for release but given the information superhighway is full of digital Dick Turpins quick to raise a 56k to your face and have you run the warez then it is what is...

Example, Bishop Lamont has given away so much free heat that if he were to start a page right now that was called paythebishop.com and said "Anyone who has liked what I've given for free is more than welcome to drop me some dollars" I'd happily send over a few bucks as the man deserves it. That in turn would motivate him to release/grind even harder and we all win.

BTW if Bishop or his people are reading and paythebishop.com pops up you better holla at cha frawg and break me off something otherwise i'll open up bashthebishop.com and give away your chit for free. Oh wait  :'( ;D 8) :P