Author Topic: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)  (Read 49193 times)

Sccit

Re: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)
« Reply #645 on: September 12, 2015, 01:41:19 AM »
I don't see how people can like Midnite Life and hate on Compton. It's pretty much made wit the same formula

::)

god I love any of these Quik/Dre comparisons.... you comparing a ukelele to a symphony my ficca

He said they're made with the same formula but that Dre's production is clearly better. What's so egregious about that? I bet you didn't even listen to the Quik album.

lol infinite has comprehension issues, his replies are fueled by emotion, not rationality. People who run high on emotion sometimes don't fully soak in what they hear/read before they speak out on it.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #646 on: September 12, 2015, 09:09:50 PM »
I don't see how people can like Midnite Life and hate on Compton. It's pretty much made wit the same formula

::)

god I love any of these Quik/Dre comparisons.... you comparing a ukelele to a symphony my ficca

He said they're made with the same formula but that Dre's production is clearly better. What's so egregious about that? I bet you didn't even listen to the Quik album.

fair enough.. and no I didn't listen to the Quik album.    

by the way...

Finally getting some time off and I'm revisiting the Compton album regularly for the first time in a month....and holy shit Paak fuccin kills "All In A Day's Work".... that is the perfect beat for his sound and complimenting Dre's verses
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 12:22:03 AM by Infinite Trapped In 1996 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Rebel

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Every man dies...but not everyman really lives"
« Reply #647 on: September 20, 2015, 06:00:06 AM »
I must honestly admit, that after giving this album plenty of listens, that much of it is ahead of its time, indeed. I was worried that my early listens would be bias- and rightfully so- being a big Dr. Dre fan... I was just enjoying the music and hype, so I couldn't really critique objectively. Now; however, I can definitely see this as one day being revolutionary. Dre changed the game with his previous albums, an.d he'll do it again with this record. Sure, it'll take longer for this record to have an impact like that due to the lack of big stand-alone singles, as well as big featured guests (past and current). I've always believed that Dre/Aftermath/Interscope should have put more promo-marketing and effort behind this release (billboards/dvd/documentary-interviews...etc.), especially after waiting so long for this release- and being Dre's final LP. The hype should have been epic.

The sales are evidence of the lack of effort backing this record. I still can't believe Dre's highly anticipated final record hasn't even gone gold yet! VERY DISSAPOINTING, even with today's leakage and low sales.

ICHI THE KILLER

« Reply #648 on: September 20, 2015, 06:30:43 AM »
I must honestly admit, that after giving this album plenty of listens, that much of it is ahead of its time, indeed. I was worried that my early listens would be bias- and rightfully so- being a big Dr. Dre fan... I was just enjoying the music and hype, so I couldn't really critique objectively. Now; however, I can definitely see this as one day being revolutionary. Dre changed the game with his previous albums, an.d he'll do it again with this record. Sure, it'll take longer for this record to have an impact like that due to the lack of big stand-alone singles, as well as big featured guests (past and current). I've always believed that Dre/Aftermath/Interscope should have put more promo-marketing and effort behind this release (billboards/dvd/documentary-interviews...etc.), especially after waiting so long for this release- and being Dre's final LP. The hype should have been epic.

The sales are evidence of the lack of effort backing this record. I still can't believe Dre's highly anticipated final record hasn't even gone gold yet! VERY DISSAPOINTING, even with today's leakage and low sales.

Please elaborate what is so revolutionary about this album and how did change the game?

Sccit

« Reply #649 on: September 20, 2015, 09:32:39 AM »
How much has it sold to date

Blood$

« Reply #650 on: September 20, 2015, 09:40:13 AM »
How much has it sold to date

last I checked it was somewhere between 400-500K... not bad considering minimal promo outside the net and no radio singles/videos, plus coming out at last minute behind the film

not to mention first week streams were only on Apple and no other service

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #651 on: September 20, 2015, 10:00:46 AM »

Nice post...

and it was getting some big attention the first week it dropped but now it's like nothing is being said or written about it... WHAT THE FUCK?!!?  I hope I am wrong, because something this spectacular can't just come and go like that.   I'm hoping a single or video comes out or something, because this would be a great injustice to hip-hop if it were to just fade away so suddenly.

Blood$

« Reply #652 on: September 20, 2015, 10:05:08 AM »
well a 27 page thread on the Dub is pretty noteworthy lol

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #653 on: September 20, 2015, 10:32:34 AM »

may be noteworthy to have—a thread—but it pales in comparison to his last album which basically lead to the foundation of the entire forum.  I mean there should be a big renaissance/resurgence now at this forum and that hasn't quite materialized...

Blood$

« Reply #654 on: September 20, 2015, 10:35:49 AM »

may be noteworthy to have—a thread—but it pales in comparison to his last album which basically lead to the foundation of the entire forum.  I mean there should be a big renaissance/resurgence now at this forum and that hasn't quite materialized...

a few cats popped up who hadn't been seen on here in years which was cool enough but I can agree to that to some extent... 2015, times have changed

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #655 on: September 20, 2015, 10:41:31 AM »
why do you think that is byron? or brian....whatever the fuck your honkey name is.

is there alot of negative energy here at the forum that wont allow for open discourse? or was the album not as good as we hoped for like i stated a few pages back? (for which you got in your feelings toward me lol)

everytime someone has an opinion of this album that isnt favorable you got a few posters whom i dont need to name that will immediately start flame posting and calling people faggots and shit. thats not open conversation and dosnt foster an easily sociable environment.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #656 on: September 20, 2015, 11:00:08 AM »
why do you think that is byron? or brian....whatever the fuck your honkey name is.

is there alot of negative energy here at the forum that wont allow for open discourse? or was the album not as good as we hoped for like i stated a few pages back? (for which you got in your feelings toward me lol)

everytime someone has an opinion of this album that isnt favorable you got a few posters whom i dont need to name that will immediately start flame posting and calling people faggots and shit. thats not open conversation and dosnt foster an easily sociable environment.

it's because of 4 factors.. all of which escaped you....

#1.  Digital media.  Without digital media this album would already be platinum.  Headz would've recognize the genius of the album first and signaled to the mainstream to check it out.  And fake fans like yourself wouldn't of been able to steal it so you wouldn't even be posting in this thread because you wouldn't have even heard the album.  I could actually write a whole book on the effects of digital media on this album, but I'll stop there

#2.  Hip-Hop is Dead.  Nas made it official with the album release bearing the title in late 2006.

#3.  Dre doesn't really need anymore money or have anything left to prove.  Back in 1999 he was still hungry to make Aftermath a success, but the dude is 50 something now and nearly a billionaire.  So he isn't really hungry to promote, film video's, and do a big tour like Up In Smoke.  Maybe some of that will come later, and I hope it does, but Dre ain't losing sleep over it...

#4.  There is no Eminem or Snoop for this album.  I mean I love King Mez and personally I think he is the closest thing to a Snoop or Eminem on this album... but, still... Snoop and Eminem were kind of larger than life and it wouldn't even be fair to put that kind of pressure or expect that from a King Mez or Paak or Conner or any of the newer cats.  

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #657 on: September 21, 2015, 10:47:26 AM »
Had time to listen through the album again this week a dozen times or so more... Before the album just sounded like one action filled movie, and I couldn't really separate where one scene ended and the other began... but now I can pick out which tracks I think are really the stand out cuts... so here is my first review of the album track by track...

Tracks judged 1-10 with 1 being the worst song Dre ever did, something like "Got Me Open" off Aftermath presents or "Nas Is Coming" off It Was Written and 10 being the best song Dre ever did—something like "Let Me Ride" or "California Love" or "Keep The Heads Wringing".  

"Intro" - 2 - Nothing really wrong with the intro.  But nothing great either.  The Chronic of course had a great intro but this one was nearly as weak as the Chronic 2001 intro.

"Talk About It" - 10 - This a great, next level, trend-setting track from Dre.  This track sets the tone for the whole album and was apparantly the moment when Dre really found himself again and moved forward with updating his sound making what became the Compton album.  Best line from this song is when Dre comes in with "I Just Bought CALIFORNIA" and Mez really shines on this with "I'm the black Eminem, I'm the humbler 50"

"Genocide"  - 4 - Not a standout cut, but listenable and still dope.

"It's All On Me" - 7  - Really nice track here.  Dre is really speaking on some shit on this one, and it is nice to get back in touch with where Dre is in his life at this point—this track also feels very true to Dre's life.  It's kind of like how Eminem sounded on "Say Goodbye To Hollywood" or Pac on "Never Call You Bitch Again", it's rappers who sometimes go to extremes settling down and just speaking on regular life.

"All In A Day's Work" - 8.5 - Paak really shines on this track.  There are a couple standout moments on this track—when Paak suddenly cuts in with "Hard Times—Front Line" that part really shines... again this is a more low key Dre like on It's All On Me

"Darkside/Gone" - 3 -  a little slow moving but still dope 

"Loose Cannon" -  3  - good the first few times thru but after the shock value it loses its luster

"Issues"  - 4  - dope track for sure but not as much replay value as some of the others

"Deep Water"  - 8 - I'm not even a Kendrick fan but Kendrick really shines on this.  When he comes in with "Mutherfucka I started from the Bottom" shit is really banging... his verse is flawless and the beat has a lot of imagery like they rappin under water literally

"One Shot One Kill"  - 1.5 - This is the only song I think probably could of been left off the album.  Interesting to hear Snoop come with a different style, but this track still hasn't hit me yet.

"Just Another Day"  - 8 - Not really a fan of Game, personally.  So maybe that holds this track back for me a bit.  But I think the beat on this one is vintage Dre, with the horns, really puts you in Compton on a sunny day, and the South African girl sounds great on this one.

"For The Love of Money"  9 -  This is a fuccin banger!  Could be a banger in the clubs.  I would love to hear a DJ mix it down with the Bone version.  Conner comes incredible on this one and then Dre plays off him with "Say what's up to the nicca wearing all black at the white party!"

"Satisfiction"  7.5 -  Snoop sounds much better on this joint.  

"Animals"  7.5  - Great to hear Premier and Dre together, I love the end where they scratch it up and speak over it.

"Medicine Man"  4  -  Not so much a fan of Em's new style.  It's still a good track, but nothing close to a "What's the Difference" or "Forgot About Dre".  In fact, I think "I Need A Doctor" is even a bit better than this one.

"Talking to My Diary"  - 9 -  Great song, and really fits the movie when you think about him touching on subjects from back in the day like N.W.A.—it was really necassary to hear Dre speak on that stuff at some point in the album.  The beat is incredible and certainly deserved the long outro at the end.  It's a rolling beat that reminds me of the way Em's "Guts Over Fear" sort of rolls, although this one is more emphatic and hits at the end of each bar.  

STANDOUT CUTS:

"Talk About It"
"It's All On Me"
"All In A Day's Work"
"Deep Water"
"Just Another Day"
"For The Love Of Money"
"Talking To My Diary"

Final Conclusion:  5 Mic Classic album for sure!

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 10:59:51 AM by Infinite Trapped In 1996 »

Matty

« Reply #658 on: September 21, 2015, 05:06:34 PM »
haven't really said much since release, but honestly, this album is a huge letdown. i knew people would be getting upset and catchings feelings on both side for this one. i see dre's got a lot of fans regardless and it isn't bad by current day standards, it's not the shit i can vibe with fully. 2001 is much more enjoyable and while this is meant to be a harder, angsty cityscape, it just hasn't got the kind of groove i associate with dre's sound. his input seems to be more in more in the mixing etc. grand finale my ass. any version of detox woulda been more refreshing than this, i feel. but oh well.

it looks like he's working on some new stuff now, maybe a more west coast (west west) project? i hope he doesn't go out with 'Compton'. if detox could come back it would be great, but don't particularly wanna hear any more of the Compton sound. he should get back with the cats like dawaun parker.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 05:09:09 PM by Matty »

jman91331

« Reply #659 on: September 21, 2015, 06:41:40 PM »
Personally, I'm really loving th album. I think a lot of people are let down because they are comparing it to his last albums (I read a lot of "it's not like this, or its not like that). I just accept it for what it is & not base it on Dre's past work. Fans are supposed to grow up with the artists they listen to & if you looking for a Chronic 2 or Dr. Dre 3001, then you are stuck in the past. It's one of those albums where it's so much going on, your brain won't process it in a few listens. I must've heard it at least 30 times since I bought it the day it came out & I still hear new things going on in there. But to me it's a genius album. Anyone who's actually been to Compton, this album is a perfect audio version of the city. Like the part on Issues towards the end with the pideon coup, the shootout, and the police chase, that's genius shit , that's Compton! It's little shit lik that that will take people awhile to digest. And then you have people talking shit about he didn't produce this or that. Like the homeboy from Lamb said in countless posts (as well as interviews from the actual people on the album) Dre produced that album top to bottom regardless if his name is last or not listed at all as a producer. Look at the writer credits, he's listed as a writer on every song, even the songs like Just Another Day where he's not listed as a producer or even raps on the song. That should let you know he's very much involved in every aspect. Especially producing the vocals (which gets overlooked). Everyone who performed on the album was in rare form, that's Dre!  He donated all his portion of the profits of the album so you think he really gives a fuck about production credit at this point? Dre likes to evolve & push his self so you have to look at how he progressed. The Chronic, he's layering samples & having a lot of them replayed, making them his songs. 2001 he's having his vision of original ideas (for the most part) played by musicians until they become his songs with Mel Man pretty much his DJ Yella. So how does he evolve from that? He takes other people's ideas and produces them into his songs like he did on Compton. So for example 'Talk About It' he produced Bink's beat into his own song, no different on how he used the 'I wanna Do Something Freaky To You' sample to produce his own song on G-Thang. It's deep but the more people listen to it, the more they'll catch on.