Author Topic: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)  (Read 49178 times)

Sccit

Re: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)
« Reply #735 on: October 07, 2015, 03:13:40 PM »
haven't really said much since release, but honestly, this album is a huge letdown. i knew people would be getting upset and catchings feelings on both side for this one. i see dre's got a lot of fans regardless and it isn't bad by current day standards, it's not the shit i can vibe with fully. 2001 is much more enjoyable and while this is meant to be a harder, angsty cityscape, it just hasn't got the kind of groove i associate with dre's sound. his input seems to be more in more in the mixing etc. grand finale my ass. any version of detox woulda been more refreshing than this, i feel. but oh well.

it looks like he's working on some new stuff now, maybe a more west coast (west west) project? i hope he doesn't go out with 'Compton'. if detox could come back it would be great, but don't particularly wanna hear any more of the Compton sound. he should get back with the cats like dawaun parker.

fair enough, the sound didn't fit me the first time i heard the album.
i can enjoy some of the album now, but the vocal production could be much better.
and i don't like the south imitation and the weird voice effects, dre should know better

I agree about the vocals they sound off to me as well...the beats are dope I don't hear much southern influence though
you're right, i should have added that i'm mainly referring to Talk about it.

I still listen to this album almost every day - shit is classic.  I don't get all the complaints about it.  Before Compton came out, I was listening to Crack a Bottle -

"I'll be damned, just fucked around and crashed my Benz.
Driving around with a smashed front end
Let's cash that one in.
Grab another one from out the stable
The Monte Carlo, El Camino or the El Dorado
The hell if I know.
Do I want leather seats or vinyl?
Decisions, decisions
Garage looks like Precision Collision."

Just glad DRE didn't come out and rap about his low-riders and blunts anymore - he's on some grown man shit.  I think people are missing the KUSH tracks but Dre is 50 mayne... doesn't need to rap about that stuff.

fair enough, but vocally he sounds better on crack a bottle than on most of the Compton album

no problem, I can definitely see the influence on that one track...I agree about his vocals they sounded better in the past but he is 50 years old so I understand...I dont particularly care for the guests featured, not really impressive when you think about it although Em was very decent on his song

That's why I need a doctor was a struggle track while this album was classic

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #736 on: October 07, 2015, 08:09:11 PM »

no problem, I can definitely see the influence on that one track...I agree about his vocals they sounded better in the past but he is 50 years old so I understand...I dont particularly care for the guests featured, not really impressive when you think about it although Em was very decent on his song

That's why I need a doctor was a struggle track while this album was classic

How could someone not be impressed with the guests on Compton?   I'm ol' school, stuck in 96' (pre-Sept. 13th) and it is very hard for me to like any new artist that is younger than me.   But I thought Mez, Pak, Justus, Conner really breathed new life into Dre and that they were tremendous on this album.

They even said in an interview that "Talk About It" actually laid the foundation for Dre's sound and new direction on the album.  I thought Dre sounded as great as ever behind the mic, and that is saying a lot since he is 50. 

Dre is the first rapper to do what he is doing at this age—and he is the hip-hop generations Rolling Stones or U2—I still remember when Too Short retired in 96', people never thought rappers would have this kind of longevity
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

dnjp4life

« Reply #737 on: October 10, 2015, 05:08:19 AM »
So Dr. Dre has shouted out WC on both 2001 and Compton: A Soundtrack, and still WC has yet to rap over a Dre beat - a damn shame if you ask me.

Also, anyone notice how on 'Loose Cannons', when Xzibit comes in with the lowrider sounds it almost like a continuation of the intro from 2001 (which featured Xzibit too)? 

Is 'Talking To My Diary' mixed a little too loudly on the CD? Sounds extra loud to me compared to the other tracks.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 05:10:22 AM by dnjp4life »

Sccit

« Reply #738 on: October 10, 2015, 11:33:26 AM »
So Dr. Dre has shouted out WC on both 2001 and Compton: A Soundtrack, and still WC has yet to rap over a Dre beat - a damn shame if you ask me.

Also, anyone notice how on 'Loose Cannons', when Xzibit comes in with the lowrider sounds it almost like a continuation of the intro from 2001 (which featured Xzibit too)?

Is 'Talking To My Diary' mixed a little too loudly on the CD? Sounds extra loud to me compared to the other tracks.

- he's rapped on a dre beat wit "the streets", one of his biggest hits

- yea, that was the point.

- naah, sounds perfectly fine on my cd

one thing i did notice though, the cd doesnt show titles when i pop it in my system....most albums show the track titles as you play em, but this one just says "track 1" "track 2" etc.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 12:02:18 PM by Sccit »

Dogg Ly Dogg

« Reply #739 on: October 10, 2015, 01:41:51 PM »

one thing i did notice though, the cd doesnt show titles when i pop it in my system....most albums show the track titles as you play em, but this one just says "track 1" "track 2" etc.

"The Streets" is produced by Scott Storch

Fonkarround

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • https://soundcloud.com/fonkarround
« Reply #740 on: October 10, 2015, 02:03:17 PM »

co-produced

Blood$

« Reply #741 on: October 10, 2015, 02:24:16 PM »

mine doesn't either lol I was surprised since it's Dre

I actually just caught onto that Xzibit/2001 reference, that's dope and just shows how complex the album really is

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #742 on: October 10, 2015, 02:28:06 PM »

co-produced

Man the song was produced by Scott Storch. You niggas love making up conspiracy theories to give Dre credit for beats he didn't do. If he did the beat why wouldn't he accept credit for it when it just makes his resume look even more impressive for that 2000-2003 era?
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Fonkarround

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • https://soundcloud.com/fonkarround
« Reply #743 on: October 10, 2015, 02:34:50 PM »

co-produced

Man the song was produced by Scott Storch. You niggas love making up conspiracy theories to give Dre credit for beats he didn't do. If he did the beat why wouldn't he accept credit for it when it just makes his resume look even more impressive for that 2000-2003 era?

Credits are not needed to hear who did this song:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Streets_(song)

Sccit

« Reply #744 on: October 10, 2015, 07:23:19 PM »

co-produced

What are u talkin about, Dre is credited as a producer/writer on the track

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #745 on: October 10, 2015, 10:45:22 PM »

co-produced

What are u talkin about, Dre is credited as a producer/writer on the track

Where, on wikipedia? What does the booklet from the cd say?
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Will_B

« Reply #746 on: October 11, 2015, 04:34:00 AM »
Prob by Scott Storch for Tuff Jew Productions

--Vance--

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You can't spell Dilate without L.A.
« Reply #747 on: October 12, 2015, 12:27:43 PM »
After two months I can honestly say that I'm satisfied with Dr. Dres final album. I think it gets better the more you listen to it. Sonicly it's without a doubt the best produced album since GKMC. I mean this man is responsible for almost every aspect of hip hop related history. He was there from the beginning and still is able to compete with the young world with 50 years of age! Who else was able/will be able to do that?

Only songs that are not at least 4/5 are the ones with Snoop. I think they're not as good as the rest of the album.

Of course it will never top the original Chronic and 2001, but let's be honest, if you thought these two sound eras can be reproduced you're totally naive.
And blame todays "hip hop" fans (listening to crap like Young Thug, Fetty Wap etc) for the lack of respect this album is getting. 10 years ago this shit would have sold 1 million copies the first week.

RIP Detox and thank you Dr. Dre for your music career! Amazing finale along with the movie and everything. What's also a very nice move, is that he'll donate the money made off the album to Compton.

Sccit

« Reply #748 on: October 12, 2015, 01:33:00 PM »
After two months I can honestly say that I'm satisfied with Dr. Dres final album. I think it gets better the more you listen to it. Sonicly it's without a doubt the best produced album since GKMC. I mean this man is responsible for almost every aspect of hip hop related history. He was there from the beginning and still is able to compete with the young world with 50 years of age! Who else was able/will be able to do that?

Only songs that are not at least 4/5 are the ones with Snoop. I think they're not as good as the rest of the album.

Of course it will never top the original Chronic and 2001, but let's be honest, if you thought these two sound eras can be reproduced you're totally naive.
And blame todays "hip hop" fans (listening to crap like Young Thug, Fetty Wap etc) for the lack of respect this album is getting. 10 years ago this shit would have sold 1 million copies the first week.

RIP Detox and thank you Dr. Dre for your music career! Amazing finale along with the movie and everything. What's also a very nice move, is that he'll donate the money made off the album to Compton.

it's already gold....doesnt have a proper video, proper single, no tracks allowed on youtube. with any sort of promotion, this would easily be 3x platinum by now....it's obvious that dre didn't do this for notoriety.

jaytee

« Reply #749 on: October 14, 2015, 10:53:33 PM »
it's already gold....doesnt have a proper video, proper single, no tracks allowed on youtube. with any sort of promotion, this would easily be 3x platinum by now....it's obvious that dre didn't do this for notoriety.

In the Dre/Premier Pharmacy episode that I posted in the other thread, Dre alludes on the lack of a proper single on Compton.  He said that he used to be concerned with it, but the way that the industry is now changed all of that.

~35 minute mark

He doesn't really care about singles anymore, he just wants to make good music.