Author Topic: Kurupt: Tupac's Most Frequent Collaborator on Death Row?  (Read 589 times)

MOBNigga06

Kurupt: Tupac's Most Frequent Collaborator on Death Row?
« on: November 08, 2015, 07:48:06 PM »
A question I've been wanting to ask:

Is Kurupt the rapper (outside of the Outlawz) who Pac collaborated most frequently with during his time on Death Row? Of course, there are some producers who Pac worked with more often, but out of the rappers, I think Kurupt was his most frequent collaborator. On top of the verses on songs like Ride for Me, Initiated, Dumpin, NY87, Check Out Time, Life I Lead, Secretz of War, Still Ballin, Just Watching, etc., etc., Kurupt also produced Thug Nigga and Tattoo Tearz for Pac. 

Have any of the Tupac fan sites ever interviewed Kurupt about his collaborations with Tupac? If Kurupt still remembers the sessions (i.e., if his brain is not fried from cocaine), then he might be holding some great information about Pac's time on Death Row.
The most GAMED UP poster on DubCC.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

DeeezNuuuts83

Re: Kurupt: Tupac's Most Frequent Collaborator on Death Row?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 09:58:21 PM »
I don't recall any interviews with him that ask about his sessions with Pac.

It's no surprise -- Kurupt has always been an emcee at heart (especially at that time) and probably had the best work ethic out of that crew.  His freestyle ability probably also helped his creative process, which was probably a factor in why he worked with Pac more often than other Death Row artists who likely couldn't come up with lyrics fast enough.

But he was cool enough to spend time in the studio with Pac and them on Pac's birthday, and there weren't any other notable artists there.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 10:39:54 PM »
Oddly enough, didn't Pac and Kurupt almost end up fighting each other on one of the Mexico trips or something? 

Will_B

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 12:10:35 AM »
Could be. But he used the same 2 verses on most of em

dnjp4life

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 03:47:04 AM »
Oddly enough, didn't Pac and Kurupt almost end up fighting each other on one of the Mexico trips or something? 

I've heard this rumour before too, apparently Nate Dogg stepped in and said if 2Pac had a problem with Kurupt, he had a problem with him too.
It could have been when they went to shoot Danny Boy's 'Slip n Slide' video, which they all featured in.

Mr. Theo

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 03:56:02 AM »

I've heard this rumour before too, apparently Nate Dogg stepped in and said if 2Pac had a problem with Kurupt, he had a problem with him too.
It could have been when they went to shoot Danny Boy's 'Slip n Slide' video, which they all featured in.

I believe it's not true . Tupac birth is 16th June.

Tupac show at HOB was taped in 4th July, 1996. Him and Kurupt was in good terms that show.

Tupac problem was with Snoop..in August 1996.

KASHIF N' QUIK   MY FAVORITES MUSICIANS ALL TIME #RIPKASHIF

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 05:57:45 AM »
Well obviously it was something that they were able to squash.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 06:05:06 AM »
shit man... nicccaz even have probs wit our own wives and our own bitchez and our own homies and shit.. ya'll makin too much of the Kurupt thing, they prob juss got in an argument and had it out and nicca Nate stepped in and had his boyz back and dat was about the end of it.. but Pac and Kurupt loved each other

anyway.. to answer the question, I'd say Daz rapped on more cuts with pac than Kurupt did
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 06:07:07 AM by Infinite Trapped In 1996 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 07:19:36 AM »
I don't think so, about Daz, as far as legit collaborations (meaning they were at least done with Pac's knowledge, which eliminates the whole Makaveli & Dillinger album).  As far as tracks with Daz, off the top of my head:

Got My Mind Made Up, 2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted (Daz was on the chorus), Initiated, This Life I Lead, NY'87

Vs. Kurupt:

Got My Mind Made Up, Check Out Time, Initiated, Secretz of War, This Life I Lead, Still Ballin, Dumpin, NY'87, Just Watching, World Wide (Kurupt was on the chorus), Ride 4 Me

MOBNigga06

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 09:10:16 PM »
I think Kurupt was Pac's most frequent collaborator by a pretty big lead.

After Kurupt, the closest are probably Snoop Dogg and Nuttso, followed by Daz, Greg Nice, LS, Asu, Smiff n Wesson.

I also would bet that there are probably several unheard songs featuring Kurupt.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 10:39:39 PM »
But most of those guys aren't on Death Row, so they don't really count.

I'd say...

Kurupt (Got My Mind Made Up, Check Out Time, Initiated, Secretz of War, Don't Stop, This Life I Lead, Still Ballin, Dumpin, NY'87, Just Watchin, World Wide, Ride 4 Me)
Snoop (All Bout U, 2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted, Wanted Dead or Alive, Out the Moon, Life's So Hard, Street Life, World Wide Dime Piece, Just Watchin, Untouchables, If There's a Cure)
Nate Dogg (How Long Will They Mourn Me, All Bout U, Skandalouz, Me & My Homies, Teardrops and Closed Caskets, Changed Man)
Daz (Got My Mind Made Up, 2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted, Initiated, Don't Stop, This Life I Lead, NY'87)
Danny Boy (I Ain't Mad at Cha, What'z Ya Phone #, Heaven Ain't Hard 2 Find, Welcome 2 Death Row, Where U Been, Bad Boy Killaz)
Bad Azz (Krazy, Out the Moon, Untouchables)
Techniec (Out the Moon, NY'87)
OFTB (World Wide, The Struggle Continues)

V2DHeart

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 01:45:05 AM »

I'd say...

Kurupt (Got My Mind Made Up, Check Out Time, Initiated, Secretz of War, Don't Stop, This Life I Lead, Still Ballin, Dumpin, NY'87, Just Watchin, World Wide, Ride 4 Me)
Snoop (All Bout U, 2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted, Wanted Dead or Alive, Out the Moon, Life's So Hard, Street Life, World Wide Dime Piece, Just Watchin, Untouchables, If There's a Cure)
Nate Dogg (How Long Will They Mourn Me, All Bout U, Skandalouz, Me & My Homies, Teardrops and Closed Caskets, Changed Man)
Daz (Got My Mind Made Up, 2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted, Initiated, Don't Stop, This Life I Lead, NY'87)

Danny Boy (I Ain't Mad at Cha, What'z Ya Phone #, Heaven Ain't Hard 2 Find, Welcome 2 Death Row, Where U Been, Bad Boy Killaz, Picture Me Rollin, plus these ones --> Toss it up, Too Late Playa, Where U Been, Never Call U Bitch Again, Never Be Peace, Lil Homies, White Mans World, +some background vocals on other unleaked songs)

Has to be Danny Boy. If he wasn't directly with Suge and his, then he was with 2Pac. This is why he isn't on much 'featured' material like Jewell, Michel'le & Nate, and why his own album is done by Quik, featuring 2Pac. Being young and Suge's 'boy', no one would want to get him indirectly involved in any studio-ish.

2Pac showed a lot of sympathy for Danny Boy and was the big brother figure for him when Suge wasn't around. There are at least a handful of unleaked tracks with his background vocals on them (similar to the intro on White mans world) still to come out
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 01:58:31 AM by V2DHeart »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

Mr. Theo

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 04:27:53 AM »

I'd say...

Danny Boy (I Ain't Mad at Cha, What'z Ya Phone #, Heaven Ain't Hard 2 Find, Welcome 2 Death Row, Where U Been, Bad Boy Killaz, Picture Me Rollin, plus these ones --> Toss it up, Too Late Playa, Where U Been, Never Call U Bitch Again, Never Be Peace, Lil Homies, White Mans World, +some background vocals on other unleaked songs)

Has to be Danny Boy. If he wasn't directly with Suge and his, then he was with 2Pac. This is why he isn't on much 'featured' material like Jewell, Michel'le & Nate, and why his own album is done by Quik, featuring 2Pac. Being young and Suge's 'boy', no one would want to get him indirectly involved in any studio-ish.

2Pac showed a lot of sympathy for Danny Boy and was the big brother figure for him when Suge wasn't around. There are at least a handful of unleaked tracks with his background vocals on them (similar to the intro on White mans world) still to come out

Danny boy was soooooooooooo talented .

He Was the Death Row "R.Kelly"... so many jamz!!!

Pac..Suge..DJ Quik mentored this guy..

But he got lost along the way.

KASHIF N' QUIK   MY FAVORITES MUSICIANS ALL TIME #RIPKASHIF

MOBNigga06

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 07:13:42 AM »

I'd say...

So there's an unleaked version of White Manz World with Danny Boy singing on it?

Also, I suspected from the beginning that there were some singers who, purely in number, did more work with Pac than Kurupt. Even some relatively minor singers might have cumulatively done tons of songs with him. That's why I specified "rapper" when speaking of Kurupt.

It's different with rappers and singers. My impression is that Pac used singers somewhat indiscriminately, just based on who was available. But with rappers he was hard on them and didn't stand for any wack shit.

It's amusing to realize in this thread that Pac definitely did not respect Daz as a rapper. It seems there there is not one song where Pac featured Daz without featuring either Kurupt or Snoop. That shows you that he regarded Daz as just a group member, not a real MC in his own right. Kurupt, on the other hand, get placed on many songs without Daz, where you find The Outlawz, the One Nation guys, the Ghetto Stars (Nuttso, Gonzoe), or just Pac (Still Ballin).

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

bouli77

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 08:09:42 AM »

I'd say...

Danny Boy (I Ain't Mad at Cha, What'z Ya Phone #, Heaven Ain't Hard 2 Find, Welcome 2 Death Row, Where U Been, Bad Boy Killaz)

Daz was also featured on Just Watchin'. And pac wasn't on death row when how long will they mourn me was recorded.

As for danny boy, there was tension between him and the pound, According to him. They supposedly thought he was stealing nate dogg's shine and that's why they never used him for their projects.

It's pretty clear 2pac viewed Daz as a beatmaker first and foremost, and then as the second half of tha dogg point, which he was at the time, he didn't branch out and started collaborating outside of his camp solo until 1997, before that you'd be hard pressed to find daz being featured alone on any album, even on death row. Except if you consider his part on murder was the case an actual feature.