Author Topic: Let's talk about "Dope" (2015)  (Read 557 times)

Blasphemy

• 'G'
Let's talk about "Dope" (2015)
« on: December 19, 2015, 05:28:42 PM »
So I DLed it and saw it couple of days ago, and I'm just wondering if anyone else saw it and wtf did they think about it.

My first thoughts

1. Tyga as a drug dealer? LOL dudes a bitch, seeing him play a drug dealer is like watching Mr. Rogers play a gangbanger, it's not happening.

2. Stacy from The Wood being in that motherfucker was funny, and would of been cool if they connected the two movies more.

3. I get the 3 mains was supposed to be extreme 90s rap fans and all that shit, but why the fuck would they be sporting New York style type of shit??? Seriously who ever wrote this shit was still on New York Dick. 3 Niggaz from the west??? in L.A????? Hell to the fucking no.

4. I was expecting the film to be like The Wood or some shit and all of a sudden it turns into a completely different type of film about half-way through. What the fuck??? it ditches the whole coming of age thing and goes into a completely different direction almost like a cheap ass drug movie.

5. FUCK KRAB ASS NIGGAZ (LOL)

6. The Romances in this film  took a huge back seat and was hella forced, again because they apparently switched the direction of the film in the later half and was basically dead weight.

6.5/10  8) 8) 8)

Edit: Oh yeah one last thing, you'd think a bunch of 90s junkies would of made old school rap, and not a weird ass punk band, I mean shit if they were going to be doing that shit you'd think they just be into grunge or some shit.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 05:30:48 PM by Blasphemy »

Sccit

Re: Let's talk about "Dope" (2015)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 05:52:50 PM »
i saw it in theatres, but it wasnt that memorable, so i can barely remember....i thought it was alright tho, but not a modern day boyz n the hood like some was claimin

Blasphemy

• 'G'
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 12:52:03 AM »
i saw it in theatres, but it wasnt that memorable, so i can barely remember....i thought it was alright tho, but not a modern day boyz n the hood like some was claimin
I watched it because I heard it was suppose to be good, but obviously the guy who wrote this shit doesn't know jack shit outside of what he researched on the internet.

Sccit

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 11:38:38 AM »
I watched it because I heard it was suppose to be good, but obviously the guy who wrote this shit doesn't know jack shit outside of what he researched on the internet.

yea, it did kinda come off east coastish to me too....i think i was sayin that while watchin the movie, but it was so unmemorable that i forgot pretty much the entire story.

bouli77

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 03:01:40 AM »
it's produced by Pharrell's company and you got Diddy's son (Al B. Sure's birth son) in it, so yeah it's eastcoastish...

I liked the movie, thought it was interesting, funny and I enjoyed the cameos (not Tyga, but Casey Veggies, Vince Staples, Ricky Harris. ASAP was funny in it too).

The movie is not a hood movie ala Boyz N The Hood, it's a lighthearted comedy trying to somehow convey a deeper message about racial and social stereotypes.

I liked the scene in which the main person glorifies the 90's and mentions It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back, The Blueprint and another album and the character played by ASAP reacts by saying "hold on, It Takes a Nation came out in 88 and the Blueprint in 01, they didn't even come out in the 90's" lol cause that's exactly what I told myself as the hero was saying it.

The dichotomy between the music they like and the music they create is credible IMO, you got Punk Rock banks heavily influenced by rap and other genres, and you got conscious rappers who grew up on senseless Gangsta Rap as well (Lupe Fiasco on Spice 1 for example) and rappers who grew up listening to Rock. There has been crossovers between the hip hop culture and other cultures for a minute now, that's why you have skaters listening to alternative rap and shit.

Plus the alternative west coast scene in the 90's-00's was sometimes confused for East Coast music. Project Blowed, Dilated People, the Pharcyde, Souls of Mischief, Hieroglyphics, etc. Don't get me wrong, they repped Cali for the most part and were down with some from the more traditional west coast scene but the following they gained was the same people listening to ATCQ, Native Tongues, Digable Planets, etc. My point is that the lines are blurred between styles nowadays, everybody has ties with various genres, look at Aloe Blacc. The Coup is a good example as well : communists affiliated with Gangsta Rappers (Spice 1, E-40, etc.) who dabbled in G-Funk, Rock and alternative music. Strong Arm Steady is also a good example : gangsta yet touring with Talib Kweli and catering to various crowds (alternative hip hop scene, west coast gangsta scene, etc.)

And it also serves the message of the film, you can be from Inglewood, black and make punk rock music and get into Harvard. I'm not saying it's socially accurate, but from what I know and what I see, it's not totally unbelievable. The movie does not try to be realistic, that's a fantasy more or less, and I liked it that way

7/10

Blasphemy

• 'G'
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 07:27:54 PM »
it's produced by Pharrell's company and you got Diddy's son (Al B. Sure's birth son) in it, so yeah it's eastcoastish...

I liked the movie, thought it was interesting, funny and I enjoyed the cameos (not Tyga, but Casey Veggies, Vince Staples, Ricky Harris. ASAP was funny in it too).

The movie is not a hood movie ala Boyz N The Hood, it's a lighthearted comedy trying to somehow convey a deeper message about racial and social stereotypes.

I liked the scene in which the main person glorifies the 90's and mentions It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back, The Blueprint and another album and the character played by ASAP reacts by saying "hold on, It Takes a Nation came out in 88 and the Blueprint in 01, they didn't even come out in the 90's" lol cause that's exactly what I told myself as the hero was saying it.

The dichotomy between the music they like and the music they create is credible IMO, you got Punk Rock banks heavily influenced by rap and other genres, and you got conscious rappers who grew up on senseless Gangsta Rap as well (Lupe Fiasco on Spice 1 for example) and rappers who grew up listening to Rock. There has been crossovers between the hip hop culture and other cultures for a minute now, that's why you have skaters listening to alternative rap and shit.

Plus the alternative west coast scene in the 90's-00's was sometimes confused for East Coast music. Project Blowed, Dilated People, the Pharcyde, Souls of Mischief, Hieroglyphics, etc. Don't get me wrong, they repped Cali for the most part and were down with some from the more traditional west coast scene but the following they gained was the same people listening to ATCQ, Native Tongues, Digable Planets, etc. My point is that the lines are blurred between styles nowadays, everybody has ties with various genres, look at Aloe Blacc. The Coup is a good example as well : communists affiliated with Gangsta Rappers (Spice 1, E-40, etc.) who dabbled in G-Funk, Rock and alternative music. Strong Arm Steady is also a good example : gangsta yet touring with Talib Kweli and catering to various crowds (alternative hip hop scene, west coast gangsta scene, etc.)

And it also serves the message of the film, you can be from Inglewood, black and make punk rock music and get into Harvard. I'm not saying it's socially accurate, but from what I know and what I see, it's not totally unbelievable. The movie does not try to be realistic, that's a fantasy more or less, and I liked it that way

7/10

The movies ending "Would you even ask me that if I wasn't black" or some shit, was funny considering as a nerdy ass kid he manages to become a successful drug dealer and ends up becoming a stereotype.