Author Topic: Crooked I Hood Star - platinum 13 yrs ago?  (Read 1268 times)

adi760

Crooked I Hood Star - platinum 13 yrs ago?
« on: November 05, 2016, 11:33:25 AM »
Im listening to this compilation from WideAwake and in middle I was like "nigga this is platinum material if dropped in 2002-2004. U have raw shit like Haters where Crook shine with his aggresive rappingLil Youngsters with Ray J, Spider and Eastwood was great material for radio or So Damm Hood (Remix) with Sisqo who was huge at the time. This rnb touch used to make songs big. Another single could be West Coast with Kurupt and Eastwood. Bit is just in your brain all the time + dope split. U got this inspiring Hood Star with great hook and dat beat dammmmmm Me and My Dogg another diffrent style of song that touch your heart with this nostalgic piano.
U got here evrything: hood stuff, raw lyrics, great guests (Juvenile, Sisqo, Ray J and death Row camp Danny Boy, Eastwood, Kurupt etc), great beats and production side and it keeping u want to listen to it cuz every song is diffrent and still fit together as album.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qvQn6pva7xk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qvQn6pva7xk</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8lQPYkUj4rI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8lQPYkUj4rI</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ITUONxDP4DA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ITUONxDP4DA</a>

OriginalVersion

Re: Crooked I Hood Star - platinum 13 yrs ago?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 12:35:07 PM »
I believe it would've at least went gold.
+++||ORIGINAL VERSION||+++

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 09:39:26 PM »
yeah Crook was going gold for sure in '02, 03   - crook left in 03 or 04 I think.  he needed the exposure from those Ja Rule collabs and the Ashanti video to drop tho.  Tha Row had no other allies besides Rap A Lot who wasn't shit at that point.

Mietek23

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 12:04:07 PM »
"Untouchable" could have go Gold in 01, if it was released right @ the time Suge got out of prison - it was the perfect momentum for Death Row to kick off the new roster. They still had a lot of hype from Suge's release but they lost it... then "Say Hi To The Bad Guy" could go Gold again in 03 if released, but it wasen't enough for Suge and they couldn't find a big distributor for those projects.

I don't see Crooked going platinum even back then, but with right promotion and good exposure, he could go twice gold or beyond - 700/800 k units sold were reachable.

Sccit

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 12:17:50 PM »
People was fiendin for crook in 01-02 .. Def woulda been scratchin the surface

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 01:09:28 PM »
Doubt it. Those records leaking was the worst thing that happened to Crook, he looked better when those records were a mystery.

Compare those 2001-2002 records to what other West Coast artist were doing st the time. Snoop, Daz, Kurupt, Xzibit, Mack 10, C-Bo, Knoc-turn'al, etc were all dropping much more quality records with way better production.

Hell Crooked wasn't even the best artist on his own album. Eastwood quarterbacked those records and Ray-J was very instrumental in bringing the swag to them.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

soopa-man

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 01:30:03 PM »
I still remember when "so damn good". Hit power 106,  suge dropped it off and he said it was called "so damn good" and it features disappear...big boy thought he was playing... I don't think that single ever had a chance, they remixed it with juvenile,  complained it wasn't mixed yet...

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 01:36:40 PM »
did someone really say Eastwood was the best artist on tha row?

no wonder this forum is dying lmao what a stupid comment

SuperSpider

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 02:12:54 PM »
On that topic, does anyone still keep the Poke it out and Boss Music snippets that leaked a while back  ??? ??? If someone could send me those I'll be eternally grateful

bouli77

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 02:40:10 PM »
"Untouchable" could have go Gold in 01, if it was released right @ the time Suge got out of prison - it was the perfect momentum for Death Row to kick off the new roster. They still had a lot of hype from Suge's release but they lost it... then "Say Hi To The Bad Guy" could go Gold again in 03 if released, but it wasen't enough for Suge and they couldn't find a big distributor for those projects.

I don't see Crooked going platinum even back then, but with right promotion and good exposure, he could go twice gold or beyond - 700/800 k units sold were reachable.

definitely, Suge still had some pull in the industry and was invited on famous talk shows and was down with Murder Inc. which was trending at the time. they fucked it up by not releasing Untouchable and Say Hi to the Bad Guy. the anticipation was big. it set Crooked I back for a number of years before he found another way to make his dent.

Portugoal

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 07:02:44 PM »
No.

Crooked I hss zero mainstream appeal. The only places where he can sell is on dedicated music websites. He'd never go gold, let alone platinum; maybe paper

doggfather

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 11:38:51 PM »
when boom boom clap came out that was the time for him. but he missed for some reason.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

dnjp4life

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 09:25:37 AM »
when boom boom clap came out that was the time for him. but he missed for some reason.

There was also a buzz after he did the first hip-hop weekly series and started dropping quality songs around that time. It seems he gained a lot of fans from that, and it was the perfect time to capitalise off the hype and drop an album.

JohnnyL

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 09:55:01 AM »
I actually prefer the version that LostSkanless had to "Hood Star" that WideAwake released.  Both shared a lot of the same material, although there were a few different songs and different versions of other songs.  At any rate, I do agree that there was some great material from those sessions.  It's a shame that "Say Hi to the Bad Guy" wasn't released when it was supposed to be.  IMO, it was probably Death Row Records' last best chance to turn things around, and unfortunately Suge squandered that chance.

dj coma

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 11:00:57 AM »

If he would have recorded Boom Boom Clap while on Death Row I think he might have had a chance to go platinum. He really had no hit songs out of his DR material. That's not to say his DR music sucked, but it left something to be desired. Boom Boom Clap was his best chance at mainstream success.