Author Topic: Daz RRGB album was a killer... last great Death Row album 💿  (Read 864 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: Daz RRGB album was a killer... last great Death Row album 💿
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2021, 04:59:03 PM »
I remember buying it the day it came out as well. This was before I had the internet in '99. I would buy the Source every month and check for what was coming out, this was around the time that No Limit was dominating the charts. But I was still riding with Death Row and even purchased Chronic 2000 which came out the following year. But RR&GB was the last great Death Row studio album like you stated.

Exactly what I thought  8)

And I have the same story.  I would check the shelves every month for the Source and if it was somebody on the cover I was a fan of I would buy the issue.  Interestingly enough, headz like you will remember that Snoop actually snagged the Source Cover the same month Daz was dropping and both Snoop had a feature in the magazine (for leaving Death row) and Daz had a feature for dropping RRGB.  (I lost this classic issue some years back on a plane ride).   So Daz actually dissed Snoop in that Source issue calling him "Hollywood".  Snoop had dropped a banger with Kurupt for the Caught Up soundtrack "Ride On" and was in between Death Row and No Limit at the time--stranded.  And Daz made a heroic effort to deliver the album he did at that time.  I thought "In California", great single could be enough to bring back the West and bring back Death Row when he delivered with a great album.  The album came in at #6 the first week and then didn't really make no noise commercially after that. 

There was some excitement about a month or so later in April when Snoop signed with No Limit.  Went to a midnight sale at blockbuster music (ya'll remember those?) when the album dropped in July 98'.  That was a cool scene to see so many fans lined up (in Kansas City) to pick up Snoop's album at midnight.  I put the album in and kept flipping through for a banger and got to the last track and realized it was dog shit.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

Sccit

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2021, 08:15:14 AM »
Exactly what I thought  8)

And I have the same story.  I would check the shelves every month for the Source and if it was somebody on the cover I was a fan of I would buy the issue.  Interestingly enough, headz like you will remember that Snoop actually snagged the Source Cover the same month Daz was dropping and both Snoop had a feature in the magazine (for leaving Death row) and Daz had a feature for dropping RRGB.  (I lost this classic issue some years back on a plane ride).   So Daz actually dissed Snoop in that Source issue calling him "Hollywood".  Snoop had dropped a banger with Kurupt for the Caught Up soundtrack "Ride On" and was in between Death Row and No Limit at the time--stranded.  And Daz made a heroic effort to deliver the album he did at that time.  I thought "In California", great single could be enough to bring back the West and bring back Death Row when he delivered with a great album.  The album came in at #6 the first week and then didn't really make no noise commercially after that. 

There was some excitement about a month or so later in April when Snoop signed with No Limit.  Went to a midnight sale at blockbuster music (ya'll remember those?) when the album dropped in July 98'.  That was a cool scene to see so many fans lined up (in Kansas City) to pick up Snoop's album at midnight.  I put the album in and kept flipping through for a banger and got to the last track and realized it was dog shit.

blockbuster music was the shit

nateandmiles

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • We shook dre punk azz now he outta di closet!!
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2021, 06:45:55 AM »
This album was trash. Sounded totally different to what I was expecting (classic G-Funk).

I dunno about his best solo, but I liked Dazamataz. And looking forward to NY, LA or whatever it's gonna be called with Capone.
Wasnt trash but it did sound different case in point compare; do what i feel vs our daily bread
I rest my case..
Now dazmataz is his best work post dogg food.

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

HighEyeCue

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2021, 09:03:36 AM »
Wasnt trash but it did sound different case in point compare; do what i feel vs our daily bread
I rest my case..
Now dazmataz is his best work post dogg food.

Dazamataz was very underrated

Sccit

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2021, 09:44:14 AM »
^^ coulda been classic if narrowed down 2 one disc

V2DHeart

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2021, 06:09:25 AM »
It was a solid album. Gold - Platinum is reasonable for it IMO. It just lacked that 'superstar' presence, and Daz wasn't somebody who was going to be the front runner of the label. I think Suge was right in making him head producer and having him as a feature rapper only. Kurupt's albums were the same. Combined, and with the right structure behind them, they could churn out another Dogg Food.

I enjoy the album, think it's solid, with a rarity that I can play it from start to finish, but it's not one of my top favourites, and I know it won't resonate with a larger commercial fan base
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2021, 11:34:09 AM »
It was a solid album. Gold - Platinum is reasonable for it IMO. It just lacked that 'superstar' presence, and Daz wasn't somebody who was going to be the front runner of the label. I think Suge was right in making him head producer and having him as a feature rapper only. Kurupt's albums were the same. Combined, and with the right structure behind them, they could churn out another Dogg Food.

I enjoy the album, think it's solid, with a rarity that I can play it from start to finish, but it's not one of my top favourites, and I know it won't resonate with a larger commercial fan base

Yeah he didn't have the star quality to make an impression on mainstream fans.  In fact, the reason Dogg Food did what it did at 2 million was because they road the coattails of Snoop's star power to reach a larger audience. 
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)