Author Topic: My Annual Snoop’s Doggfather album discussion thread  (Read 810 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
My Annual Snoop’s Doggfather album discussion thread
« on: July 17, 2021, 08:25:17 PM »
Going to come with a different take on it this rhyme than previous years.

First off, my son been with me this summer and he really loves the album and says it’s one of Snoops best.  He loves that joint “2001”.

I kind of see Snoop’s vision a bit more for this album.  My feeling initially was that the guy was struggling “to come up with the right song” and DJ Pooh, Dogg Pound, and LBC Crew just kind of came in and hooked him up sort of like a family thing...

...but now I see a bit more of his vision and that’s from the heavy influence of Charlie Wilson.  Snoop has mentioned so much in interviews how he grew up listening to him and how big of a fan he is... I think with Dre out of the way and Suge not around Snoop had all the freedom to call his own shots and so he went with what he loved most.  He thought it would be funky and original and something not done before in hiphop to sort of merge it with that Gap Band flavor and even use Charlie Wilson on many of his joints.. it’s clear he was around a lot because they have a grip of songs that didn’t even make the album as well.  So he probably thought it was new and fresh mixing old wit new and he loved it cause that’s his favorite music he grew up to...

...then the album dropped and it just didn’t blow up quite like he thought or hoped though it sold 2X which is still a big deal...

...”Wake Up” is just an absolute banger that song was next level then and showed Snoop could still take it next level, though you kind of feel he might’ve been assisted with that one.

...some of the skits are fucking wack on this album, and a few tracks didn’t belong at all and cheapened the effort.  That skit where he tells the lil homie to rob someone is wack, and the thing with the positive message for the kid was fine it just wasn’t well done and lacked creativity... was it really necessary to put a whole track on the album rapping about his dogs?? It’s okay but shouldn’t of made the cut... On “Downtown Assasins” Dre would’ve brought in somebody that sounded like a real news reporter that would of sounded way more il than Daz doing a news report... “Freestyle Convo” shouldn’t of made the album

My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

doggfather

Re: My Annual Snoop’s Doggfather album discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 09:57:36 PM »
Your kids right. This is Snoops 2nd best album.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 10:30:33 PM »

What about Top Dogg
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

Sccit

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 01:02:36 AM »

exactly

last meal 3rd top dogg 4th bct 5th

also it wasn’t really a new idea to include old school funk artists on hip-hop records.. not even for snoop. remember, he had the dramatics on doggy dogg world and george clinton on the title track for doggystyle.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 01:26:43 AM »

exactly

last meal 3rd top dogg 4th bct 5th

also it wasn’t really a new idea to include old school funk artists on hip-hop records.. not even for snoop. remember, he had the dramatics on doggy dogg world and george clinton on the title track for doggystyle.

yeah just personally i used to get bad vibes from Doggfather just cause of when it dropped I was really depending on Snoop to come through and save Death Row and the West and my life had started to turn to shit after Pac died.. and I can't get over that sinking feeling when I came to the last track and the feeling like "that's it"... Top Dogg on the other hand brought back the West and began the resurgence that lasted about 2-3 years so that gives me good vibes

Stepping away from it and viewing subjectively it was a Death Row album in the mid-90's, so sure, I have no problem with someone ranking it number 2, it probably is number 2 if I'm viewing things objectively

...As for the Funk thing, clearly Clinton had been an inspiration for Dre on Chronic and Doggystyle... good point on the "Doggy Dogg World" thing...but I don't think I really meant the Funk... I was talking specifically about Charlie Wilson

Charlie Wilson seemed like he was probably rolling wit Snoop on the regular during the recording of that album.  I'm not expert on the Funk but that's a different sound Charlie Wilson is bringing on there then what was going on with Chronic and Doggystyle.  You put it all under the umbrella of THE FUNK but to my untrained ears that was a dramatically (excuse the pun) different sound and something I hadn't heard before really in hip-hop

HighEyeCue

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 03:59:19 AM »
this album is underrated and unfairly hated on

"Gold Rush" and "Downtown Assassins" were my 2 favorite tracks...it seemed like Snoop brought it more during the posse cuts

doggfather

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 09:15:43 AM »
yup, last meal is the 3rd...  ;)
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 10:20:03 AM »
this album is underrated and unfairly hated on

"Gold Rush" and "Downtown Assassins" were my 2 favorite tracks...it seemed like Snoop brought it more during the posse cuts

“Gold Rush” was a great song

kuruptDPG

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2021, 04:00:45 PM »

i love doggfather but last few years when i revisted the album i felt this album was rushed, snoop admitted himself in a interview i listened to last year or the year before. but if snoop put out the album shown above....it definetly wouldve sold anywhere from 4-5 million copies

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2021, 10:50:43 PM »

i love doggfather but last few years when i revisted the album i felt this album was rushed, snoop admitted himself in a interview i listened to last year or the year before. but if snoop put out the album shown above....it definetly wouldve sold anywhere from 4-5 million copies

Post the interview if you have it I would love to hear more talk from anyone involved with that album.  They should also interview Pooh about it, Pooh was a major player not mentioned enough

HighEyeCue

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2021, 03:48:51 AM »

I don't think it would have sold much more...Pac's death really overshadowed it and didn't help that it was released a week after Makaveli...now if Pac had never gotten shot then it would have been a different story

kuruptDPG

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2021, 08:23:29 AM »
I don't think it would have sold much more...Pac's death really overshadowed it and didn't help that it was released a week after Makaveli...now if Pac had never gotten shot then it would have been a different story

if there were added music videos then again wouldve been more commercially successful like for:

- gangstaz life
- only move 4 the money
- midnight love (i think wasnt released in 96 along with the album)

Yh i agree, had pac stayed alive then yes numbers wouldve been different. also i forgot to add if there is a cure with pac
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 08:29:49 AM by kuruptDPG »

kuruptDPG

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2021, 08:43:10 AM »
Post the interview if you have it I would love to hear more talk from anyone involved with that album.  They should also interview Pooh about it, Pooh was a major player not mentioned enough

cant seem to find it but im certain i watched the video here as somone else posted it.

i remember reggie saying on bomb1st that snoop was aiming to be executive producer. in my opinion he changed the tracklist as there were a few songs that were not snoop songs so he can show suge that he can look aftr the company whilst hes in jail but suge said no and that sealed the deal for snoop to leave...according to reggie.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2021, 03:06:23 PM »
if there were added music videos then again wouldve been more commercially successful like for:

- gangstaz life
- only move 4 the money
- midnight love (i think wasnt released in 96 along with the album)

Yh i agree, had pac stayed alive then yes numbers wouldve been different. also i forgot to add if there is a cure with pac

Gangstaz Life was dope, Snoop at his storytelling best...and Midnight Love is just classic 8)

Okka

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2021, 02:50:32 AM »
I consider it a classic, but it could've been better considering all the songs that was supposed to be on the album. I was listenin' to this a few days ago and I actually just ordered a "new" (CD) copy of it from Discogs since the one I have right now has a bunch of scratches on it. I've had it since I can remember, so no suprise there.