Author Topic: Sept 13 Anniversary RIP 2pac — where were you when Pac died?  (Read 518 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Sept 13 Anniversary RIP 2pac — where were you when Pac died?
« on: September 13, 2021, 12:52:31 AM »
Where were you the day the music died?

I was Freshman in highschool.  Everything was great—girls, sports, music.  One of my friends spread a rumor 2pac died just to get attention when he had not really heard any news—but somehow news spread around school (can’t remember how because no cell phones or social media back then) that 2pac had died.

Went home saw the news clip on MTV News. Opened up the window and played “Life Goes On” out the stereo and cried.  And my life been stuck right there the day the music died.  Infinite trapped in 96

...next day on the bus to school one kid was saying, “who cares 2pac died he was a gangsta and he deserved to die”
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

Re: Sept 13 Anniversary RIP 2pac — where were you when Pac died?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 01:17:31 AM »
it was rosh hashana and my uncle was over talkin bout it

i was fairly young but he’s the one who put me up on most that shit, so at the time he was more familiar than i was

damn, now that i think of it, pac died on rosh hashana (the jewish new year). Tishrei 1, in the year 5757 .. noteworthy stuff.

doggfather

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 01:57:30 AM »
@ high school
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

dnjp4life

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 04:24:29 AM »
I didn't start listening to 2Pac until 1998 when Changes was on the radio all the time, I do have vague recollections of hearing that he had passed though.

Crazy to think that he has been gone now longer than he was alive.  RIP to the greatest.

Hellquist

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 01:36:35 PM »
Barely 11-years-old watching TV on a Friday night and I saw the death announcement on MTV that night. I was like everybody else that thought he would pull through because the news was saying he will survive his injuries and then boom. It was like a dark cloud hanging over me plus this was the same weekend I hung out with my best friend for the last time because he moved to another city so Pac died and my best friend from school is fucking moving. It was a dark rest of September.

Rubinho

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 12:05:04 AM »
In the car with my parents. Radio host was confirming Pac died. Was only 7 at the time so didn't really listen to any music myself yet.  Got really into Pac when i started listing to music like 2 years later.

You are 100% right rap music died that day. It had some good albums after that, but everything went downhill since 1996.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 07:07:56 AM »
was just starting my 2nd year in college...damn I'm old

but yeah I remember seeing it on MTV that night...the same way I found out that Eazy had passed the year before

doggfather

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 08:56:40 AM »

You are 100% right rap music died that day.

He is sayin a lot of dumb shit, but this is the worst...
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

astra4322

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 11:35:59 PM »

;D

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 12:27:57 AM »
it was rosh hashana and my uncle was over talkin bout it

i was fairly young but he’s the one who put me up on most that shit, so at the time he was more familiar than i was

damn, now that i think of it, pac died on rosh hashana (the jewish new year). Tishrei 1, in the year 5757 .. noteworthy stuff.

interesting... and that Uncle was your Uncle Ronnie I suppose.   

I had an older cousin who I'd meet at Christmas time and year Chronic and Doggystyle came out he had pants saggin, talking about smokin weed, he knew like all the lyrics to the Chronic and all about the beef between Eazy and Dre (which was actually info not everyone knew because internet wasn't around in those days).   He had a Doggystyle tape and we were lookin through the liner notes and whatnot. 

Then, I came back the next year and I remember I was all excited telling him I had borrowed 2pac's "Strictly 4 My Niggaz" and I'd dub him a tape and the dude was like "that kind of music is nicca shit" and he had gotten for Christmas that year a classic rock CD Kansas "Dust In the Wind", lol

Em actually said the same shit about Ronnie that Ronnie got him into rap and he saw Ronnie the next year and Ronnie blew him off and was like "rap is nicca shit" or something like that
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 12:40:24 AM »
Barely 11-years-old watching TV on a Friday night and I saw the death announcement on MTV that night. I was like everybody else that thought he would pull through because the news was saying he will survive his injuries and then boom. It was like a dark cloud hanging over me plus this was the same weekend I hung out with my best friend for the last time because he moved to another city so Pac died and my best friend from school is fucking moving. It was a dark rest of September.

Yep.. same shit happened to me, but except it was my girlfriend. 

My first love she stayed the summer across the street from me with her Dad and it was the classic scenario where we'd be out all night making out till her dad would flicker the porch lights just before midnight and she'd have to go in.  Classic time fairy tale stuff.  Then the school year started and she had to fly back to her moms in Waldorf, Maryland.  High school started and a week later 2pac got shot.  I never saw that girl again and her dad moved away some months later. 

Only nice thing that happened after that was when Brian McKnight "Anytime" song came out spring 98' and I was moved to write her a long confessional letter telling her how my life was nothing without her and I'd never been happy a single day since she left, how I had quit the basketball team, was getting all F's in school, and didn't give a fucc about family, friends, girls, or nothing without her.  She wrote two great letters back saying she'd won first place in State in Track or something like that and with a picture of her getting gold medal and saying she did it all for me.  I thought we were going to get married but it was just a flicker in time only the two letters Spring of 98' and nothing of note thereafter.  These were the last days of handwritten letters before emails became popular in 99.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 12:47:09 AM »

You are 100% right rap music died that day. It had some good albums after that, but everything went downhill since 1996.

Word is bond!   

Never been the same since.  Just look at the fallout of 2pac's death.  Dre and Snoop's albums were both considered flops at the time (I know many of us love these albums I'm just speaking on the feeling at the time)... Suge got locked up and by the summer time of 97' it was a whole different world, Puffy was heralded on the Cover of Rolling Stones under the title "THE NEW KING OF RAP"

astra4322

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2021, 02:12:55 AM »
Death Row collapsed mostly beacouse of Suge's greed and stupidity with treating peaople. Pac's death didn't help but even with Pac but without Dre Death Row would come to an end.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2021, 03:48:16 AM »
Death Row collapsed mostly beacouse of Suge's greed and stupidity with treating peaople. Pac's death didn't help but even with Pac but without Dre Death Row would come to an end.

7 Day Theory did not disappoint though.  The fact that Pac didn’t need Dre or any of the Death Row All Stars to make that Classic is evidence that Death Row could have continued to reign if Pac didn’t die. 

He also had exciting projects in the works like Death Row East and the One Nation Project—these were like Nationwide movements in HipHop and who knows how big they could been.  Boot Camp was really talented and strong in the East, who knows what would of came out of his projects with them as well? 

In an alternative version of 97’-98’ it’s OGC, Hurricane Starang, Boot Camp, Heltah Skeltah, Kane, Greg Nice and all the Death Row East ruling  the Coast and not Bad Boy, Rockefellah, Ja Rule, Rough Ryders

Even look at R&B — Genuine was actually doing backup for Danny Boy when Pac was alive and Timbaland was an understudy of Devante Swing.  With a strong Death Row and Suge out of jail they could’ve ruled R & B through the Jodeci and Mary J connection.  There’s a gang of alternate scenarios like that—the song of the summer in 97’ was “Return of the Mack” and that could’ve been a Death Row single Mack Morrison was like Suges guy before Suge went to jail.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 03:56:25 AM by Infinite Trapped in 1996 »

HighEyeCue

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2021, 05:23:23 AM »

more like Death Row died that day