Author Topic: What ya'll think of the 90-92 rap era? (88 EC golden age, 93-96 WC golden age)  (Read 992 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th

Was watching those classic Fab 5 Freddy 1990's hip-hop and I have a few observations from that era.  This was the era just after that 88' era in which Rakim and Kane took the game next level and everyone was going bananas over the shit they were doing.  Then just before the West Coast Death Row era dominated the 93-96 rap golden age.  What do ya'll think of that era... a few notes..

--It was really positive then even to the point of being corny.  I mean a lot of that positive shit is really just propaganda anyway.  Like being positive in today's time means encouraging everyone to "be safe" and "take the vaxxine" so it's all just sucker shit.

--There was a lot of average to dope shit in this era but not the bomb shit.  Like NWA of course was bringing the bomb shit, but I'm talking the majority to nearly all was just like average to dope.  But not much bomb

--The acts that really blew up the 1988 golden era were still around and making noise.  LL and Kane started doing like upbeat type dance and music for the ladies.  It was still kind of dope because they weren't far from their prime but it wasn't exactly bomb shit.  KRS was still in the limelight off the noise he had made late 80's and was doing some dope stuff but it wasn't exactly the bomb shit.  But these was the type of heads in control.  They were intellgent cats but hip-hop had became a bit too nice.

--People actually believed rap was a fad that was going away at the time.  I mean obviously in hip-hop circles they still lived and breathed the shit but I mean in general there was thought that it was a going away fad.

--So really it was Dre and NWA that saved the day.  Cause the shit Dre was doing with NWA and then you had DOC doing bomb shit.  And Cube leaving NWA and doing some bomb shit as well.  Like it all goes back to Dre. 

« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 03:09:47 AM by Infinite Trapped in 1996 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

doggfather

phuckin like that era.

the early kane, ll, ice t, run dmc albums still in heavy rotation.

kane and ice t are in my personal top 10.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Sccit

it wasn’t 1996, but those years had classix galore regardless

HighEyeCue

Ice Cube was basically untouchable during that era...classic after classic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
phuckin like that era.

the early kane, ll, ice t, run dmc albums still in heavy rotation.

kane and ice t are in my personal top 10.

Yeah I definitely like the era really enjoying thee old Fab 5 Freddy Yo episodes because it was that era I just barely missed by only 1 or two years later the Chronic dropped.  So I remember it like vaguely like a remember a friend of mine and I used to like shit like Young MC “Bust a Move” and “Principals Office” or like Wrex in Effect I had that tape... and that was kind of our idea of what rap was.   And we considered it mostly positive and kind of dance, have fun music but I was only 10 and I liked it but not way deep into it... 

Going back there’s a ton of dope shit, like nearly every video is dope the culture was vibrant and alive— but not a lot of bomb shit (save for the NWA tree)

Duck Duck Doggy

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Lay back and twist one
There’s a lot of great hip hop albums from the 80s I’ve gotten into the last few years that I never appreciated when I was younger. One of my favorites is Slick Ricks album

• Muthafuckin' Don!
This shit is becoming life changing actually... I’ve been listening to the same 90-92 shows over and over 3 days st8 and my depression has cleared...  I think it’s because it was just before my rhyme so I didn’t have the chance to play it out yet... shit is hittin hard in my senses

• Muthafuckin' Don!
- Naughty by Nature was pretty damn big in this era.  I always liked their hits (just now figured out what O.P.P. means).  But I'm surprised with how talented Treach was and KayG's production skills they should have had a classic album.  They have a string of hits, but not that many headz are actually familiar with their albums.  They don't even get mentioned much.  Eminem started coming out of the woodwork giving Treach all this props and now people are realizing what a great emcee he was; but it should not have taken that.

I think what they were missing was the classic album.  Their albums don't seem to have the overall sequencing and theme that could've brought the project together all the way. 

doggfather

Treach is eminems #1 as i know.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Erik Sermon was making a lot of noise in this 90-92 era... see its artists like that who were well respected but I never was too familiar about how they got there. 

“Symphony 2” Kool G rap is tremendous on that, everyone on the track is tremendous this one is a banger and I see where Em and Mos def got their ideas for that BET cipher

DJ Quik was making noise

X-Clan doing some really creative stuff visually

And how come this bitch Boss never gets mentioned when female rappers are mentioned?  “Deeper” is one of the most bangin joints a female emcee has ever done

...these videos are so well done, I didn’t think the budgets were big enough in those days to make music videos this dope—whoever was doing the directing in these days really earned their paycheck and furthered the vision of the artists
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 10:49:17 AM by Infinite Trapped in 1996 »

Dee Tha AK

Big Daddy Kane, Madonna & Naomi

Life...😂

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Big Daddy Kane, Madonna & Naomi

Life...😂

DIZZAM!!

...Xzibit has that great line in his debut album "Before hip-hop was all about drama/ before Kane fucced Madonna/ I was bent like a comma/ just me and my bottle/ we shall lead not follow!!"

Dee Tha AK

DIZZAM!!

...Xzibit has that great line in his debut album "Before hip-hop was all about drama/ before Kane fucced Madonna/ I was bent like a comma/ just me and my bottle/ we shall lead not follow!!"

What Song?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
What Song?

“At the Speed of Light” Epic coming of age joint

Dee Tha AK

“At the Speed of Light” Epic coming of age joint
Found it:

Whole Album was Dopee